Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Daniel , Wyoming
New from Wyoming.... Returning to Airstream

Hi everyone! We just arrived back from SLC with our new arrival.... a 2008 A/S 22' Safari Sport. We love the floorplan, and the size for caming and towing. We are planning on retiring in 6 months and plan on visiting every National Park in the lower forty eight... and then maybe Alaska! This is our second attempt at A/S love... We bought a '94 25' footer that lost its skin in the first two months... after a long painful story of several repair attempts. threatened lawsuits and no customer satisfaction we sold it to a farmer for a bunk house and it sits there today, a dull gray , fading 25' log with very low mileage. So we are excited about the new arrival. I have some questions maybe members could comment on:
1) What is with the dinette/bed? The table makes a lumpy edge which is very unconfortable. Any suggestions?
2) I am concerned about the single axle. Dealer said no problem... but the dealer wanted the sale. Any comments or just an unwarrented concern from an old man!
3) Water seems to leak in the right hand corner of the vent fan. Can't see any obvious gaps to caulk. Any experience on this one?

Thanks for any comments and We are looking forward to learning more about our new little 'silver blimp'.. Thanks Tom
fotozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome and congratulations on your new baby.

We retired 6 months after purchasing our Interstate, have been having the time of our lives (2 years later) and hope that you will, as well.

We had chronic vent leaks which were finally resolved by taking everything down to the roof, scraping it clean, then replacing the gasket and caulk all the way up. There were installation problems.

Drive safe, and will look for you on the road.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome

Hi Tom, Welcome to the forums!

I have 22 foot Safari with a gaucho slide out bed and I put a thick blanket down before the sheets so I don't feel the seams. A matress topper may help too.

Both of our trailers have single axles and there has never been a problem. Airstreams have a pretty good record with a single axle.

Tracking down leaks can be a real challenge.

Tis does look like a good layout. 2008 Airstream Safari Sport 17'

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
tell me more

As new 94 model owner....tell me more about your 94s' problems. I have noticed a big difference in the build quality between it and my "old" ones.
I like your retirement plans!!!
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotozone View Post
Hi everyone! We just arrived back from SLC with our new arrival.... a 2008 A/S 22' Safari Sport.
3) Water seems to leak in the right hand corner of the vent fan. Can't see any obvious gaps to caulk. Any experience on this one?

Thanks for any comments and We are looking forward to learning more about our new little 'silver blimp'.. Thanks Tom
We bought all ours from A D Brown in Salt Lake city although we live clear across WYO from you. They've always treated us well. You're close to SLC, so I'd suggest you take it back to the dealer, but make an appointment first insisting on Tech Paul Silva. He knooooows Airstreams. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Daniel , Wyoming
Response

Thanks everyone. The leak will probably be the thorn in the side with this trailer. Did a shake down camp-out in the driveway last night and except for the 2 golden retrievers we had a great nite. The children were a little restless. i think they could hear rabbits breathing!!
Our 1994 25 footer was beautiful unit for about 2 months then, literally, we came out and the 'skin' on the trailer looked like wet toilet tissue. Real shock, and nobody gave us any advise on what to do. The dealer finally took it in and reapplied the clear coat.... it lasted about three weeks and again disintegrated and started peeling off. After many, calls and discussions, some heated, with A/S and the dealer, A/S agreed to send a factory repair guy to the dealers shop to supervise, inspect repair. Should take care of it! Lasted about 4 months and back to square one ate which point dealer and A/S turned defensive, unhelpful and left me to talking to my lawyer. Rumors was A/S changed clear coat formula, aluminum supplier changed corrosion inhibitor, batch of aluminum was inferior....etc, etc. Finally just enjoyed it for a while. It looked terminal and finally sold it to a rancher in Pinedale, Wy at a relatively small loss. So that is the story of the '94 25 footer whic turned out to be a real dog..... We pray nothing like tha happens this time.

Tom
Old 10-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Daniel , Wyoming
What are the little rivets under your names??
Old 10-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotozone View Post
What are the little rivets under your names??
This should explain it: http://www.airforums.com/forums/613497-post16.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We bought our '08 in Sept '07 so it's now out of warantee. Has more than 5000mi on it with no problems. Single axles offer better mileage and are easier to back in tight places. Just be sure to keep the tires properly inflated. We leave the dinette made up as a bed and use the space between it and the counter to store two TV tables which can be used inside or out. We use sleeping bags instead of bedding and don't notice "lumpy edges". The space underneath is perfect for storing our folding outdoor chairs. We travel with two standard Poodles and are also contemplating an Alaskan adventure sometime in the future.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Welcome to the Sport 22 club. Our solution to the bed edge lumps, whether sleeping on the gaucho or the dinette, is a 1 inch foam topper. Rolls up easily. The single axle took some getting used to, only because it turns quicker when backing, versus our old double axle 25 footer. I do check the tire pressures a lot more frequently with just the two of 'em. And knock wood, we haven't had any leakage issues, though the rear vent sealant is pretty sloppy and will need redoing.

Enjoy your new A/S, and best wishes on each new voyage.

John W

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote