Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Lynwood , Illinois
Returning to Camping after 35 year Break!

My wife, Angela, and I are getting back into "camping" after a 35 year hiatus. We are both 68 year-olders. She's a retired early childhood educator and I am still holding down the same academic job that I launched almost 30 years ago. In July of this year, we started out with a 1999 Dutchmen pop-up. However, two nights of November weather at Golden Gate Canyon State Park just northwest of Denver convinced us that we needed a real "trailer" and we immediately left our little Dutchmen at a RV storage lot and bought a pre-owned Airstream, and have not regretted our impulsive move a bit! Our beloved Airstream is an immaculate 1999 25' Safari with the twin bed configuration. BTW, the Dutchmen is up for sale .... cheap!

Since early November, we've camped in Colorado, Las Vegas, southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Missouri and southwestern Michigan (about 60 miles from our home in Lynwood, Illinois)! We can hardly wait for my mid-winter job break when we'll hook-up our Airstream to collect our young grandsons in Atlanta, and continue on for a brief camping trip on Tybee Island, Georgia.

Happy New Year!

Reggie
drbgood@hotmail.com
drbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:46 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi, and welcome to the forum. What a great way to get back into it, that sounds like a really nice trailer! I'm sure it will suit you for years of travelling.

A 35 year break is WAY too long!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Reggie,
Nice to have you on the forum!
It sounds like you know your way around the camping world, now you can do it in style.
Welcome,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
By a strange coincidence, someone here is looking for a popup, here is a link to the thread:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...0-a-38405.html
Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My wife and I have done it all too. backpacking, canoe camping, tent camping and we are now thoughly spoiled and can't see camping in anything else than an AS.

It used to be 35 years ago there was a lot more comraderie at the campground. Nowadays the house buses pull in and pull out and you wonder if there is actually anyone in there. Except for the Airstream crowd who you can still count on to hang out with around a campfire.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Great to hear of your return to the fun. Enjoy your travels, and your Airstream!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Welcome back to camping.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Lynwood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Welcome to the forums.
By a strange coincidence, someone here is looking for a popup, here is a link to the thread:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...0-a-38405.html
Terry ...

Thanks so much for the "heads-up" on sale of my Dutchmen pop-up. Anxious to quiet my "Better Half" by getting it off our driveway!

Reggie
Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Lynwood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
My wife and I have done it all too. backpacking, canoe camping, tent camping and we are now thoughly spoiled and can't see camping in anything else than an AS.

It used to be 35 years ago there was a lot more comraderie at the campground. Nowadays the house buses pull in and pull out and you wonder if there is actually anyone in there. Except for the Airstream crowd who you can still count on to hang out with around a campfire.
Yes, yes ... our November excursion at multiple campgrounds (public/private) reveals to us that there is, indeed, a change in camping culture from the Ol' Days. Folk seem much more interested in "getting in/getting out" of the campground than getting to know the people to the immediate right or left pull-throughs!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbgood
Yes, yes ... our November excursion at multiple campgrounds (public/private) reveals to us that there is, indeed, a change in camping culture from the Ol' Days. Folk seem much more interested in "getting in/getting out" of the campground than getting to know the people to the immediate right or left pull-throughs!
Friendlyness while RVing in campgrounds, seems almost a thing of the past.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Friendlyness while RVing in campgrounds, seems almost a thing of the past.

Andy
However, this past camping year for us we 'met' many other campers who stopped just to ask of our '66 Trade Wind. Even a park maintainence worker, a camp host and a ranger warranted a tour of our rig. There must be something about an Airstream that 'warms' people up a bit.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
However, this past camping year for us we 'met' many other campers who stopped just to ask of our '66 Trade Wind. Even a park maintainence worker, a camp host and a ranger warranted a tour of our rig. There must be something about an Airstream that 'warms' people up a bit.
Last fall I was pulling into Morro Bay SP, and before I could get to my camp site, I had one group of 4 people begin clapping, and another 2 seperate people tell me how much they liked my Globetrotter. This was all before I parked. There were a couple of others during my stay.
Yep, I'd say that the A/S does warm folks up - even in wacky California.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic

Ditto, been there and done that, and I must admit, are likewise totally spoiled.

Wecome to the forum!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote