Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Boxford , Massachusetts
New Dreamer

We have been bit by the bug. We have been completely inspired to say the least by some great bloggers out there. We are looking to buy a 30' in the next year or so. Our plan is to use it for long vacations and work toward a longer term goal of hitting the road full time with the kids.

We are currently stuck on one decision though. We cannot decide if we would be better off with a Queen and Bunk setup or just he bunks and lounge at the other end.

I would love to have the dining with panoramic views but having a dedicated sleeping space for us parents would be nice. I would appreciate any input on that
IMDeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Get the queen and put the kids in a tent outside. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Dedicated Bedroom = Good

Welcome aboard Matey's! Aren't these Silver Twinkies fun!!!

You know what they say about opinions....but here's mine: It's awful nice having a dedicated bedroom just for me (and maybe wifey and the dog). Our first trailer was a '77 Excella 500. Beautiful rig, but ours' was a mid bedroom and had this couch thing that you had to fold out into a bed every night. I didn't care for that one bit!

Traded that trailer for a 34' Avion (don't throw rocks...they are very similar) that had a mid bath and a bedroom in the back. It had twin beds in the back, but built a platform across the aisle and turned it into a rear king. Put a Simmons Beauty Rest Plush Firm back there and now I sleep like a King

Out front, it had the gauch (fold out couch) that went across the front. I took that out and stored in my office. I built a custom bunk bed where the lower bunk has an angled back rest like a couch, and the top bunk is just flat. Works great! We use the bottom bunk as a couch during the day, but my son sleeps there at night and my daughter takes the top.

We do have the mid dinette, which maybe isn't as nice as a front dinette with wrap arounds, but it works pretty well.

Anyway, I sure like having a real bedroom to myself.

You may want to check out the Airstream 30' Bunkhouse. If I were to buy a newer one, that is one I'd look hard at. I think they only made them for a few years, and some guys on here have them and really like them. They are a nice model.

Had my 34 up your way last summer. Went to Maine, then stopped to see a buddy in NH at his lake house, then onto his permanent house in Lincoln, Mass. Got some great chowder there!

Best of luck!