Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Full-time dreamer!

Hi!

Last month I quit my job and moved back home trying to figure out what my next move would be. Making that decision has turned out to be harder than I expected. I dream of living full time in a trailer, none other than an airstream, and simplify my life so that I can take part in a volunteer work that is very important to me. Plus, the idea of being able to be so mobile and free to go where I want, when I want is very alluring. Mine is the problem of knowing what I want, but not knowing how to attain it. You need resources, knowledge, and insight of experienced Airstreamers.

That's where you come in! Are there any full-timers that could give me some advice on basic yet important things to consider to get started?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for the help!
slo-an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Welcome to Airforums.

Fulltiming is a lifestyle that can be done in many different types of RVs. Escapees is an organization that supports fulltimers and extend timers. I suggest that you go to the Escapees forum Escapees Discussion Forum and read up on the fulltiming lifestyle. The Escapees forum has many threads related to issues of fulltiming.

The Airforums site will help you more with information specifically related to Airstreams.

Good luck in your research and decision.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Welcome to the forums.

I offer you the conventional wisdom that it is best to learn by taking shorter trips at first before setting a goal of living in a trailer all the time.

Like many forum members I spend a good deal of time living in my trailer totaling 5-6 weeks a year but prefer for various reasons to also maintain a fixed household.

Most full-timers utilize somewhat larger rigs that offer more storage although everyone's situation is different.

You might best begin a discussion of your specific situation with a summary of your budget, your typical travel plans (how long in one place, typical distances traveled, any winter living), the number of people traveling with you, and any special equipment or supplies you will carry with you.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Tom Watson, Sr., founder of IBM, once wrote that if you find yourself in a boat and don't know which direction to go, just row, if you're wrong you'll find out soon enough.

I've been full-time since May of 2000 with the first six months living in a tent. Tent gave out on a Mexican beach near Mazatlan and I bought a trailer. Never looked back.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Besides looking here on the Airforums...check out rv-dreams dot com

I enjoy stopping by their site from time-to-time

Lots of stuff on the subject if ya look around...

On EDIT...Welcome...I've driven thru Vernon TX

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post564794
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
We have to second the Escapees plug, as we are members and just set up our full-time "residency" through them in Texas just a few weeks back -- their organization is great in helping us achieve our dreams. Also, welcome to the forums!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Start looking at A/S of all ages. You have a few choices - new, used, older, vintage. Their age and dimensions will influence some of decisions. Budget will have a huge effect as well. What you think you can't live without will effect your decisions too.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
On EDIT...Welcome...I've driven thru Vernon TX
It looks like you went to the Caprock Canyons. I think that's what it's called. You pass through paducah right? If so, I've been there and it's beautiful!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
I also wanted to thank everyone for the tips and websites they'll be very helpful. : )