Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #1

1964 17' Bambi II
Spring Mills , Pennsylvania
Smile I'm so excited!! New Bambi II owner!

Hello all
I'm new, but I just signed up because tonight I traded my 1965 Globetrotter for a 1964 Bambi II. I'm so excited!! The Bambi II is more managable for me to fix up (not as much work required). It was amazing how it all happened, but I'd love any additional information that folks would have for me. I understand that there weren't that many made. The cute little ice cube tray is even there.

Were awnings original? Mine has a green and white one--looks almost like how you pull a movie screen out--only sideways.

thanks--I'll post some pictures in the next couple days.

I'm getting Bambi for Christmas--how's that for Merry Christmas!!

MK
mary kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Congrats!! Sounds awesome - someone's going to have a nice Christmas!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
WOW! Congradulations!! Too cool. Not sure how many were made but not many as 1964 was the only year. I'm sure someone here will have that info. Please post some pic's.
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Congratulations!

You must have been very VERY good, because Santa has been very VERY good to you.

Aren't those ice cube trays cute!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your find. Now you will be able to camp in a collectors' item.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary kay
but I'd love any additional information that folks would have for me. I understand that there weren't that many made.
Hi mary kay,

Welcome and congratulations on the Bambi II. Do a search for " How many Bambi 2s ".

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #7

I found a post saying there were only 800 of these made. I'm thinking of buying one in As-Is condition and the price on it is $8000. I look for it to take me some money to fix up. There are no dents but the flooring needs some work and axels replaced. The Vintage Airstream Values guide doesn't have the Bambi II as worth this. Any idea what these go for? Would I be getting a good deal or should I keep looking.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Depends on how is "As Is"..

Welcome, and good luck with your search...

Two thoughts to pass along...

1. There are huge differences in the meaning of As Is, ranging from "pretty great, but we won't provide any warranties if something should go wrong after you get it home.." all the way down to "bring a crane and flatbed to haul this piece away.." Without seeing pictures, and inspecting, it is hard to tell the difference,, because sellers don't always understand different interpretations..

2. Value is in the eye of the beholder.. For a vintage unit in limited quantities, the true value is what you determine after looking carefully at your target, plus others, plus talking to lots of people with relevant info to share (like here..). Some sellers think any wreck with an Airstream nameplate should be worth $5K to $10K, and some will let a gem go for $250 to get it out of the yard... No website can really help you tell the difference.

It sounds like the sellers have an inflated view of the value of their trailer, but if it is mechanically sound (all systems, from water to electric to appliances to running gear and shell) and merely needs some upholstery upgrades, that might be a reasonable asking price... If it's a real fixer-upper, missing parts and unable to be used without major tools and investing, keep looking...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Question Floor & Axle....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferheat
I found a post saying there were only 800 of these made. I'm thinking of buying one in As-Is condition and the price on it is $8000. I look for it to take me some money to fix up. There are no dents but the flooring needs some work and axels replaced. The Vintage Airstream Values guide doesn't have the Bambi II as worth this. Any idea what these go for? Would I be getting a good deal or should I keep looking.
If the description says that it needs a new axle and that the floor has some issues, with one that old I'd expect you'll need to do "the full monte" a frame-off restoration. Search that thread. A 1964 is 42 years old, and possibly could need to have a new frame built or spend major bucks rewelding and replacing some frame members at the least.
  • New axle, say $800-$1400 depending on which brand you choose and whether you install it yourself or have it done.
  • Frame: Well I recently saw a man who found a welder to build a whole new frame for about $1400.
  • Floor replacement (the full monte) - you couldn't pay me to do that, but on a Bambi II it would be more sweat equity labor than cost of materials. I'd guess a couple of hundred in materials and 2 day's HARD labor to take the interior out and lift the shell, then 2 more days to install a new floor. I'm guessing that if you could find someone to do it $1400 or more. Restorers chime in if I'm naive!
  • Water heater - get a new one if it hasn't been replaced within the last 10 years.
  • Furnace - ditto water heater
  • Refrigerator - the BIG unknown. Some this old still work, others are toast. You could spend $1000 to replace with a decent two way (or you could look for a fairly new salvage one from a wrecked RV). Some folks find one that is the right size to fit the original door on - to keep the vintage look and feel.
  • wiring - if you're doing a frame off, redo it too. Treat yourself to safer brighter running lights and turn signals and a GFCI in the bath.
  • plumbing - in a unit this old, God only knows... but I'm betting it won't be pretty.
  • OH - don't forget the mouse poo! Yes, Virginia, you probably want to do a frame off just to replace the insulation and get rid of all of the mouse poop and mold smells under the floor and in between the walls of the shell.
Short version - $8000? It's worth what it's worth TO YOU... but I'd get an experienced RV tech or forum member to inspect it for you before committing any money to it. On the other hand, the seller may just be trying it out on the dog. "Consult" (confront) him with the list above and make a counter offer of $2000 or less - see if he blinks. I'd be inclined to think he'll take a lot less if this unit hasn't been garage kept for 40 years.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote