Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chapel Hill , NC
Smile Hey you lucky Airstreamers!

Hi there!
I'm Liz- searching for an Airstream to fill that big Aluminum void in my heart. I've been wanting an Airstream for so long, but have been busy changing diapers and picking up teeny tiny Playmobil parts for so long that I barely realized that it's been nearly 4 years since I last posted here.

And I still have no Airstream. So 2 kids later, I think it's time. I had to settle for a house with no character, so I absolutely MUST have an AS!

We're ready to pack up the kid, the baby & our gangly Shepherd puppy and hit the road.

I look forward to chatting with all of you!

Liz :-)

Mom to Jackson, Ruby & big hairy dog, Abbey
bakerliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Welcome Liz! You've come to the right place. You'll find some families, some pet lovers, and all Airstream lovers here. Oh yeah, and lots of support too. We look forward to hearing what kind of A/S you find. Post pictures when you find it!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome Liz! Sounds like you've go aluminitus. Good luck with your search for an Airstream.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Welcome to the Forum, Happy hunting for that special Airstream.
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

austin , Texas
HI, Liz and welcome back, and you know it's always something, and I give Thanks! I am wondering what type of traveling you are planning, what type of tow vehicle you may have, and what type of trailer you may be thinking about? I am also looking for a trailer, but am limited to the size and weight, because of the limited TV, that I have, a 99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. So I am looking for a Argosy 6M Minuet, 20ft. It is about as light of a trailer as I have found, 2450LB, and I really love the Minuet, They come in A 20,22,24, FT. lenghts, 6M, 6.7, 7.3. M= Metre. Give us some more information, there are some really great people here on the AS Forums. Good luck, Red Rover^^^,WOOF, WOOF.
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
if you cant go vintage there is the 17 foot and 22 foot safari sport modles that are very light.
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Welcome to the Forums. If you've got a question, we've got lots of anwers-you have only to post the question. Good luck with your search....it seems like a very short time ago (Oct.) that I had discovered the Forums. Since then we've purchased a 2007 International 25' that we plan to completely re-do the interior with the help of our decorator. The dealer has been storing it for us for the winter so we've still not been anyplace with it. In two weeks we'll have our six hour walk through and learn about all the parts that make up the AS. We have three trips planned for this spring and summer so you can see how one's life can change with the addition of an AS. Even though we've still not been in it for a night or even an hour!!! Plan on how you'll use your trailer - that will go a long way in determining which model will fit your lifestyle the best. Subscribe to Airstream Life, the AS magazine that is loaded with assistance and information. And, keep writing the Forums! Hope to see you down the road one day.
Prodigy Brake Controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought the fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Used Airstream shopping

There are lots of onlite sites to explore, including this one. See a list of sites on Airstream Life's website:

Used Airstreams for sale

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums! Sounds like you are ready to roll after a long hiatus of doingg other obligatory things... Good luck with your search and we hope to see you on the road soon...

Keep us posted!
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chapel Hill , NC
Hey everyone!
Thanks for the warm, kind welcome! Thanks, too, for the links to find used trailers, etc. :-) Right now we have NO tow vehicle, which on the one hand means we're wide open as to what we can get, or on the other hand, we have to buy one of those, too.

My husband and I are still discussing what we want, but personally, I'm for about a 22(ish)-foot vintage model. From what I've read, something in the 70s would be good (and available). We need something in good shape mechanically & structurally.

And we have no idea what to look at for a tow vehicle. With 2 little (for now) kids and a 75-pound dog, we need some space, so an SUV would be ideal, but I hate for us to get a vehicle that will be guzzling gas while we use it for our regular (non-towing) life.

Oh yeah, as an added challenge, we don't have a lot of money to work with, as I've been a stay-at-home mom for 4 years. (Anyone with a free hand, please cross your fingers for me that I'll get the job that I'm hoping for at my kids' school. --Baby needs a tuition discount!!)

So...for our romantic Valentine's adventure, we're going on a field trip to the Airstream dealership--about 1.5 hours from home. The baby will be 1 year old in 2 weeks, so we haven't really done much adventuring over the last year (aside from a month at the beach and an out-of-state family visit).

Wish us luck!

You're all so generous with your advice, suggestions, and thoughts. I wish I could give you something back!Hopefully someday I can! :-)
Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Welcome Liz..

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Try this site to find an index of all the airstream trailers- it will help you determine what you want.

Our first trailer was a '05 CCD 25' which is an awesome trailer- but it blew the transmission in our '95 Tahoe while we were on the road (with trailer and 3 dogs)- so we had to trade it in on an '07 Tahoe while in St. Lois- made that salesman's day! Anyway- the other week were are heading home from sinner and the transmission in our '07 goes- the local dealer re-builds it under warranty- but were skeptical. Point in case- go vintage. We like the look- of course, but they are lighter and safer and more aero-dynamic. Not to mention cheaper (although expensive to restore correctly) to purchase initially and cheaper on the wallet when towing. The difference is night and day when you tow them. My husband only tows the new one, but I will tow the vintage ones.

Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Innisfail , Alberta
Good Luck and keep looking-we finally got ours last April after 24 years of marriage and we love it (72 25 foot Trade Wind)- tows easily with our 76 Chev pickup with a 350.
Happy travels and God Bless;
Garth & Joanne
gtijewlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
You'll never look back...
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi Liz!

The best of luck in your search - I know the feeling of really wanting an Airstream.

I've got 2 boys and a 60 lb dog (oh yeah - plus the hubby! can't forget him) in a 25' CCD. I loooove my Airstream to bits - it represents fabulous family memories - both existing memories and those yet to come. It's also all about the freedom to explore, the ability to relax by a campfire, quality time and loads of other wonderful things.

There are tons of experienced and knowledgeable people here on these forums - lots of great advice here.

So good luck, and hope your find your dream Airstream soon (post pictures when you do)!

Cheers,
-michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chapel Hill , NC
rv book for clueless newbies?

Hi there everyone!

We visited the Airstream dealer over the weekend. Man, those Airstreams are soooooo cool!

We need to get a feel for what to look at when we look at used rvs (OK, Airstreams). We know nothing about the systems, etc. Even just the lingo...

Can anyone recommend a good book that has this kind of info? An all-around RV maintenance book would work. Is there such a thing that would apply to Airstreams? I realize that all of the answers are probably on this site... :-)

How do you know what to look for? What's essential for beginners like us?

We know we need at least a 22-28 foot. What about the bathrooms? Is the wet bath awful? (with 2 little kids).

Are the newer ones (1990+) worth considering?

Thanks!!

Liz
Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Welcome back

Hi Liz,

From one aluminitus infected mom to another, welcome back to the club! We also have two kids, jobs, and lots of other irons in the fire, but when we step foot into our Airstream, it transports us to another world - away from the responsibilities and routines of home. The very best part is being "unplugged" and watching our kids delight in the campground bugs, wildlife, and the simplicy trailer life. And, of course, we always get a lot of attention from our fellow campers, which is a great way for our kids to make new friends when we go camping .

If you're looking at vintage, be prepared to spend some bucks to get your trailer road worthy and safe. We purchased ours for a song, but have easily tripled the amount we spent on it revamping and repairing. And, there is certainly more repairs on the way....

Our trailer is 22ft and we think it's perfect for our family of four - tows easily with our Ford Explorer V8 (which, IMHO, is also a great family car....) and has plenty of room for everyone to stretch out, sleep, and shower/bathe.

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Hey Liz -

I've got the 2 kids and a dog (and soon to have a 2nd dog) thing going, and have a 25'.

Everyone is different. Some can get by with a small trailer, others need more space.

If I had to pick my ultimate trailer, I think I'd be choosing a 28'. Where the kids would sleep wouldn't change from the 25' to the 28' but I'd die for room to move around the bed - which isn't possible in the trailer we currently have. Plus the larger the trailer, the more elbow room w/r to bathroom facilities. I know the 28 CCD has a separate shower from the toilet which would be sooo nice.

But, again, everyone's different. I wouldn't choose a wet bath, but others are fine by it.

It is difficult, isn't it? It's easy to fall in love with them, but it's a different matter entirely when it comes time to choose "the one".

There have been some threads on this site where people have discussed sizes - here's one.

Good luck, keep us posted on your search!

-Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chapel Hill , NC
Oh my gosh, it IS hard to pick THE ONE! I don't even know what I don't want. Except maybe the wet bath. I have a 4.5 year old who would use the kitchen sprayer in nearly the same way here, and I fear disaster in a camper.

How do I know what years to look for. I've read the discussions on this forum, but it seems that there are no absolutes. And how do novices determine whether a trailer is in good shape when there are 10 other people who can tell quickly and easily lined up to look at it?

Am I making this too complicated? I'm just dying to get one. I'm dreaming about them!

I can't thank you enough for your help!

Liz