Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Henderson , Nevada
Hello, all!!

Very happy to say that my wife and I just purchased a 2017 sport 16. Her full name is Elizabeth Trailer but we call her “Liz” for short.

We live in Las Vegas, NV and this is our first travel trailer. We’re looking forward to the adventures, hopefully good but we’ll take the bad with it.

Our first overnight will be this weekend so we’ve been spending a lot of time watching how to videos but I’m sure experience will be our greatest teacher along with advice from you fine people. Any pointers you can give a new new newbie is much appreciated and looking forward to meeting some of the community in person.

Stay Shiny!!
Sdraucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Welcome! Love your trailer's name! Good one!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Look before you move - look up, down and all around.
Use a check list for everything.
Don't assume that anything someone tells you or that you read is correct until you validate the information for yourself.
Research everything .... lots to learn in just about every forum.
If you are uncomfortable, slow down, stop or leave - depending on why.

Join WBCCI - maybe you will like it.

Travel conservatively. An AS tows well - sometimes too well and folks drive too fast. Learn before you fly. Towing is an all hands on deck, 100% attentive driving activity. Travel shorter distances than you would normally plan to drive. There is more work to AS travel than car/motel travel.

Read your manuals - then read them again. The videos do help .... Long long Honeymoon and the Colonial demos are quite helpful.

Test your systems. Learn how to make the control for the AC/heat to work for you. Same with entertainment system.

Clean and Wax your trailer regularly. Store inside if at all possible. Do not tarp it. Inspect for leaks and cracked sealant that might resut in a leak. It should last 3-5 years, but inspect it every year.

Don't leave the trailer unattended with the awning deployed. Strong winds can rearrange the supports in short order. Don't deploy it level when you expect rain. The water needs to drain off or it will overload the fabric and supports.

Carry your salesperson's and the service manager's cell phone number.
Carry your warranty and all information with you in an organized binder. Read your warranty.

Get a Good Sam book and discount card. Learn what RV Parky and AllStays are. Learn about Pasport America. Get a KOA book - sometimes it's the solution. Learn about BLM lands.

Do not transition driveways without extreme caution. The sewer drains may not clear. Tire stops in parking lots are a similar hazard. Look first before you move.

Most important - Use Liz and make miles with smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us. Make sure you ask questions as they arise. There will always be someone here to help.

Head to Southern Utah and take in the scenery. Lots of amazing things to see. Enjoy.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Colts NECK , New Jersey
The best thing we ever did when we got our first Airstream was to 1. camp at a nearby Airstream only campground where fellow "streamers" gave us lots of helactory inpful information about our rig.
2. Went .to the Rally at the Ohio Lots of good workshops happen there.
Stardust60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Love that name!!!!
Lots to learn, but you'll have a ball doing it. May you have the time of your life as you explore our beautiful country!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I also am a 16’ 2017 ‘love it’ owner, when I have a question I contact AS in Jackson they are always helpful. And it’s right from the horses mouth so to speak. Have fun and take your time driving.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Welcome and safe travels
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Henderson , Nevada
Thanks! We got a little stuffed pink flamingo we’re naming Richard Birdton so Liz has company.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Makes PERFECT sense....to any Airstreamer...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Makes PERFECT sense....to any Airstreamer...
Only if you are old enough to get it. Gave us a smile. Well done! Pat
Old 11-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Henderson , Nevada
Thanks for all the info, Pat. I think my wife may be a super advanced android from the future because she’s just incredible about planning and organizing. Last night she was making a checklist of her checklists. I’ll be sure to post about our first trip when we get back Sunday. If you don’t hear from me, send help...and pizza.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdraucker View Post
Thanks for all the info, Pat. I think my wife may be a super advanced android from the future because she’s just incredible about planning and organizing. Last night she was making a checklist of her checklists. I’ll be sure to post about our first trip when we get back Sunday. If you don’t hear from me, send help...and pizza.
Don't forget to add the 2nd most important item - "Have Fun" that goes on the list just after, "Count the smiles" and just before the most important one - "Slow down and travel safe" . Welcome to the group. Pat