Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2002, 10:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Cool Hello to all here is a PIC of my '68 GT

Hi, I am restoring a 68 Globe Trotter. I am 90 percent complete with the interior. I will start working on the exterior in the next few weeks. If I can answer any questions I will give it a try. Be prepared as I will most likely have many questions for the users of this forum.

Attached is a picture of my 68 GT before I purchased it and started working on it.

Please forgive my mistakes as I am in learning mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1968_globetrotter6x4.5.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	96  
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 06:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
Great job!!

Jim,
Looks like you did a great job restoring the GT. What is the dry weight? You see I want to buy an older Airstream and do just what you have done. However my truck will pull 5500 lbs so I am looking for something with a dry weight of around 4000 lbs. Any suggestions of models and the year of manufacture I should be looking for? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Sincerely
Rod Boyette
urb2165@aol.com
urb2165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Re: Great job!!

Quote:
Originally posted by urb2165
Jim,
Looks like you did a great job restoring the GT. What is the dry weight? You see I want to buy an older Airstream and do just what you have done. However my truck will pull 5500 lbs so I am looking for something with a dry weight of around 4000 lbs. Any suggestions of models and the year of manufacture I should be looking for? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Sincerely
Rod Boyette
urb2165@aol.com
I think the GT is about 3500 Lbs tops. I pull with a F 150 Supercrew with the 5.4 L engine and tow pakage. My wifes V6 Exp. dose a great job also, I do perfer the F150. Year is up to you, look over the forum and read about all the units. You will find some you like, I like the older units and would not go newer than 68 at this time. It all varies with the deal.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1959 26' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Bastrop , Texas
Off topic

Hello - fellow 58er. Your GT looks great.

Off topic question - where did you go to create that map/avator in your profile? Thanks, Jill
WBCCI #8689
68 Globetrotter
emo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
90 Percent?

Been working on mine for 6 years. Soon as one project gets done two more seem to pop up.
I'll guess the "Exp" refers to a Ford Explorer. Been looking at the Expeditions but circumstances of fortune dictate that the old E-150 will have to go another year.
The GT is a great smaller trailer. Keep us posted on your progress.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RE: Dry Weight of Vintage Airstreams

Greetings Rod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urb2165
Jim,
However my truck will pull 5500 lbs so I am looking for something with a dry weight of around 4000 lbs. Any suggestions of models and the year of manufacture I should be looking for? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Sincerely
Rod Boyette
urb2165@aol.com
You can get the factory dry weights for many of the Vintage Airstream coaches at the link below:

Airstream :: Customer Services

When looking at these empty weight figures, it is wise to remember that they do not include any options such as awnings, larger LP tanks, International packages, etc. My suspcion is that you will find something in the 22' or smaller size will be the size within your tow capacity. As an example, my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre has a wet, ready to travel weight of 3,100 pounds -- it was specifically designe for light weight (aluminum cabinetry and floor as well as 7' rather than 7' 8" width) so is a bit lighter than similar sized Airstreams.

Good luck with your research and search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Louisa Va , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Hi, I am restoring a 68 Globe Trotter. I am 90 percent complete with the interior. I will start working on the exterior in the next few weeks. If I can answer any questions I will give it a try. Be prepared as I will most likely have many questions for the users of this forum.

Attached is a picture of my 68 GT before I purchased it and started working on it.

Please forgive my mistakes as I am in learning mode.

Just purchased a 68GT myself this week. I saw her from a distance and pursued owner even though it was not for sale. He informed me he was restoring the trailer and had lost interest and gave me a price and I took it off his hands. The GT had been completly gutted but the owner still had the interior in his basement which he gave me when I picked her up. I have look at pictures and trying to put the puzzle together. Jim I'll take any help you can provide. Was wondering if a owners manual would provide me with any help get this back together and if they are available anywhere.

George
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
By George!

Maybe that is what you can name your new baby once you make it really yours! If you click on the forums tab in the blue tool bar above then scroll down to Globetrotter, I think you will find many posts on any number of subjects that may help you. As far as owners manuals go you should be able to get a copy of one. Try the search function tab in the tool bar and keywords like manuals or secretarial services. That should hook you up with the place where you can get any manuals you need for original equipment like oven/stove, furnace, refer, water heater, water filter, awning and any other factory installed appliances you may want info manuals for. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Louisa Va , Virginia
By George (like the sound of that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Maybe that is what you can name your new baby once you make it really yours! If you click on the forums tab in the blue tool bar above then scroll down to Globetrotter, I think you will find many posts on any number of subjects that may help you. As far as owners manuals go you should be able to get a copy of one. Try the search function tab in the tool bar and keywords like manuals or secretarial services. That should hook you up with the place where you can get any manuals you need for original equipment like oven/stove, furnace, refer, water heater, water filter, awning and any other factory installed appliances you may want info manuals for. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
That might be the name.
It will definitely fit if I acomplish this.
Thanks for the leads will try that.

George
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote