Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2019, 12:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Alexandria , Virginia
Firsts et al

Today is my first post and my 85th birthday and as part of the celebration I wish to discuss the purchase Nov 2018 of my new 2019 AS Sport 16.At my age most everything I buy now is new where all I have to do is maintain "newness" and avoid "fix me up hassles" while still under a 5 yr guarantee blanket.

Some personal background;
I am a 30 yr retired Army soldier,(Colonel) as well as currently licensed Special Education teacher state of Virginia.On 10 November 2018 I drove to Colonial Air Stream dealership NJ, "par excellence"and along with super marketeer Patrick B. finalized the sale of the first and last RV I will ever own, in fact this was also the first time I had ever been inside an AS RV.The next day ,along with one of my sons, hitched up my Mazda 2018 CX 9 SUV Signature trim and effortlessly drove back 205 miles( 15mpg 55/65 mph) to a nearby military base for safe keeping,7 miles from my condo.The long pole in the tent purchase issue was not to wind up with a hanger queen stored at some distant location.Since the Sport is only 16' I can locate it at the base marina rather than the base storage area.Shore power, showers, restrooms,AT&T hot spot for i phone/Arlo Go security camera, gratis WIFI for streaming live TV via Hulu to Sport's LG TV are accessable.The CX 9 can tow 3500 lbs same same the max tow weight for the Sport 16.The CX 9 bells and whistles include 310 lbs torque at 2000rpm,4.2 gear ratio,Trailer Stability Assist, blind spot alerts, lane change warnings, adaptive cruise control, heads up windshield display,Max GCWR 8,337 lb, plus 250 hp with 93 octane, I added after market main frame hitch,7 pin connector with electric brake control and is my every day transportation.The Sport has solar panels 80w,2 AGM 80amp batteries,Honda EU2200i companion Gen rigged for propane hoping never to have to power with gasoline, and WD/sway bars.At 6'3" 225lbs completely comfortable in the wet bathroom.

Among my assignments during a military career ,1959 to 1989, I commanded at company, battalion and brigade level units that included fielding(USA,Germany, Viet Nam and Korea) and integrating all types of mobile communication equipment into working command and control systems the least of which included/depended on the ever fragile trailer mounted generators for off grid power.My Sport,(an outstanding engineering achievement),is mobile,a matrix of integrating systems, provides challenges of establishing off grid power and to boot is a self contained life style opportunity with hot running water, galley and a head.Why Airstream.These thoughts come to mind; great to be surrounded by an interior that is a work of art, the simple enjoyment of utilizing and learning about the details of the various Sport electrical and mechanical components ,a daily motivation for getting out of the condo, a place to go ,only 20 min, away to relax and enjoy both my RV and marina social activity, National Parks to travel to as yet unvisited, meet with WBCCI and NORVA members, serious boon docking planning and travel with my grown children.Last but not least the Sport as an inheritance artifact for future times for my family. Apologize for some rambling chalk it up to an occasional senior moment.
Ron1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:32 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Firsts et al

Welcome Ron,

Congrats on the new Airstream, and on your first post.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:53 AM   #3
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
You sir, are amazing. I hope I will be half as capable, and energetic as you are when I see 85. Your plans look great to me. Also, I hope I’m still doing projects with my sons in another 20 yrs!
Thank you so much for your service!
Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Sport 16

Ron,

Welcome from GA. Thank you for your service & congrats on your Airstream purchase. Happy Birthday - have a great day. Hope to see you on the road.

Mike Deegan
25 ft FC
# 6650
TANZER099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to the great Airstream community and these Air Forums. The folks here are very good and willing to answer any question you may have about your new trailer.

Airstream has been making "shorites" for years and years. They have been called Wee Wind, Bambi, Bambi II, Caravel and I don't know what else. Here is a photo of a mid sixties Caravel. There is a good market for a handy travel trailer that is comfortable for the night. Familiarize yourself with your new command headquarters and head west, or south, or north and ramble around this great country of hours.

Airstream adventures keeps a guy young.

Salute!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1808 Ouray Caravel Rods-800x600.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	334823  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome Ron!