Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
"The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

Off topic, sorry, but I love that quote.

The escape from urban light pollution -then reconnecting with that Alpha via the Airstream - it is an ethereal experience!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Less Discouraged

WOW, we're very grateful and impressed with all your replies and advice…there's quite a sense of community here, from Louisiana to British Columbia.

We realized we had a "romanticized" notion of hitting the road to discover the US and Canada and saw this forum as a bit of a reality check.

The process of finding the right TV and TT has been daunting and we have tons of questions.
Gotta say though that some of the issues mentioned here weren't even on our radar yet(yikes)!

We did go to a small gathering of the New England club and met some nice folks, but they were obviously enthusiasts. We also spent 4 days in an older FC 25FB we rented at a KOA campground, which was very informative. It showed us what wear-and-tear and too little maintenance could do to an AS.

Spending north of $100,000 on TV and TT is nothing to take lightly so we're going slow.
Again, many thanks and regards to all,
callmedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
"The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

The escape from urban light pollution -then reconnecting with that Alpha via the Airstream - it is an ethereal experience!

More signs that streamers are not only having fun - they are enlightened - even having deeply spiritual experiences!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post

I like Carl Sagan's original version of it even better:

"The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

He was my favorite hippie stoner scientist.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I like Carl Sagan's original version of it even better:

"The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

He was my favorite hippie stoner scientist.

rAmen!!!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
50 and going strong

My Airstream turned 50 this year and is still going strong. Do I have to maintain it , sure but I enjoy doing it. As far as an investment ,it's worth about 7 times more than it originally sold for.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Anything that generates as much passion as Airstream has a lot going for it. A couple of weeks ago at the Alumapalooza rally (held for the 4th year right outside the factory in Jackson Center), you could have experienced this first hand. One particular event was especially noteworthy. The Airstream management team (marketing, design, engineering, electronics) had sessions where they listened to US .... well the women got their time, and then the men! But, this team was in the receive mode...."you are important to us, you are our customers, and we want to know what you like and what you don't like." How many companies today would take that kind of time (or care) to actually listen. At no time did I detect defensiveness, either. It may be that what we want (or prefer), isn't viable....but some of the owners had very interesting and thought provoking suggestions. I have a new trailer. I've taken 7 trips in the last year, over 12,500 miles. I've done some major customizing, not because the trailer had a problem, but because I want it to be UNIQUE to how I like to do things. My trailer has had no downtime due to any quality defects by the factory...and if you go there you'll see that these trailers ARE handmade. Then go to an auto plant and compare....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The best advice I can give to someone with the means, and no experience, is to buy brand-new (yes, I know, $$$), and USE IT. By the time the warranty runs out, you will have: 1-found and gotten fixed any "bugs", and 2-learned how to use your Airstream, and how to take care of the basics yourself.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I recommend a trip to the factory not just Airstream but some of the others you may be interested in.

The things that go into all RV's is pretty much the same stuff like frig, water heater, AC, water pumps, range and electronics.

How the RV itself is built is unique to the manufacture, cabinets, materials and stuff like that .

With a factory tour you will really see how they are built, the employees attitude and their pride in their workmanship.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The best advice I can give to someone with the means, and no experience, is to buy brand-new (yes, I know, $$$), and USE IT. By the time the warranty runs out, you will have: 1-found and gotten fixed any "bugs", and 2-learned how to use your Airstream, and how to take care of the basics yourself.
Spot on! We're in year one. I didn't start knowing how to use a ball peen screwdriver and now, I am amazed at the stuff I'm learning and having fun doing. Still, anything major is going back to the dealer. So far - nothing major at all except the fun and friendships we're making along the way!

We were thinking 1 trip a month from Apr to Oct. after our first trip we decided we have to get out every possible weekend! Overlander63 is absolutely right - new unit and use it a lot!!

And it probably goes without saying, but this forum is also incredibly valuable as a part of the Airstreaming experience. Excellent folks, excellent advice, even some comedy from time to time whenever the debate about best hitch, tow vehicle, etc. comes up. I would want it no other way. :-)

And I gotta agree with your assessment of that New England unit of the WBCCI. We're members of the Charter Oak unit but have been to a couple events with the New England unit and they are outstanding folks!!!

Stuff happens. Maintenance is needed. Nothing is perfect. But with all that - for us - we couldn't possibly be happier! Good luck with whatever you decide.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That is where we are at....man we are getting excited!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
You know, the last New England unit rally I went to, back in early May, I gave an ode to the zen of Airstream ownership. But I have to say - sat in our cozy and fully-vetted trailer this Memorial Day, rain whipping down in Vermont. LED lights glowing, furnace pumping toasty air, everything right in our cozy Safari SE world.

It isn't like owning a Japanese car. They need work, even the new and almost new ones. But we've had fun with the trailer every time we took it out. Same for the Argosy before it, and the T@b teardrop before that.

To boil it down - filaform is cosmetic (annoying, but not structural), and rotten floors can be repaired. So can bum RV appliances. And at the root of it is one of the best towing and iconic trailers you can get.

Tom
Old 06-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post

To boil it down - filaform is cosmetic (annoying, but not structural), and rotten floors can be repaired. So can bum RV appliances. And at the root of it is one of the best towing and iconic trailers you can get.

Tom

I showed my wife pics of some bad examples of filaform - and even with that worst case, she preferred that to the other options...and if it became cosmetically bad enough...because of concerns about leaks and peace of mind, we are paying for covered storage local - more expense though - hoping to figure out a way to create storage in my back yard....worried about the darn sprinkler lines being damaged running over the grass though - pretty sure that will be a problem if I tried.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Yes. Towing performance is a big plus.

This may sound strange, but I am happiest enroute to my destination with the FaN hugging my truck like a lover - than actually being at the destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
More signs that streamers are not only having fun - they are enlightened - even having deeply spiritual experiences!

Indeed. Aviators and RVers/campers are privy to those experiences.
I love this photo of the Milky Way, courtesty of a KLM cargo pilot. I was privy to same during my last Airstream excursion.

Whether we call it sacrifice, or poetry, or adventure, it is always the same voice that calls.
- Antoine de St. Exupery

Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Airstreams like my 1976 are pretty easy to work on, all the parts I've needed have been available, and the body will not rust or rot away. The trailers are well suited for travel and there's a pretty strong resale market.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
I too was discouraged also. I ended up with a Vantage trailer. No rivets, no soft metal that flexes and eventually leaks in places you can not see. No outrageous new unit pricing plus has a slide. The Vantage is built rock solid and I am very happy with it.

Keystone stopped building the Vantage but there are still a few new ones out there. I bought a 25RBS. Look at the Vantage 29RLS. It is proably the best blend of space and function. It has a couch, a dinette, and two chairs in the living area.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #37
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh I dunno. Seems that the AS tows best when I a on my meds...

Just sorta kidding.

Look, I can give you a litany of little things that PO #1&2 did not take care of, or had "professionally" done yes they needed to be redone properly.

She ain't perfect, kinda matches me.

Once I get the little AC, electrical, water heater problems resolved she will be truly road worthy.. BTW, she is a 1999 Excella, 34' in length Widebody. So there are bound to be a few
Character flaws...

If you want " perfect" you better have deep pockets and the time to drop off with "professionals" who will gladly charge you for working on your TT or MH.

Remember or it has wheels or .... It will give you trouble. However I thoroughly enjoy playing with both., but not at same time.

Buy it and make it yours.

I had a friend who once said "I couldn't be with he same woman more than a year!" I said, "If you were doing it right she would not BE the SAME woman!"
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Dave, we've had our AS going on three years and love it. We have had some issues but nothing that would cause us to reconsider our purchase. Yes we have had some leaks. Most were taken care of, but there is one I am still chasing.

As mentioned previously, most of the interior components are standard RV components. Its the construction of the trailer that separates AS and SOB's. In addition to our unique construction, look at how high SOB's sit. All trailers leak, it just seems that ours leak a little more Go to a few different dealers service departments and ask what their top 3-5 repairs are on SOB's.

We didn't look at SOB's because our hearts were set on an AS. We were looking at used trailers, but wound up buying a new one. Yes it was/is $$, but it has a two warranty. Along the way we learned a lot from the dealer and other Streamers, but more importantly the Forums. The forum helped us learn what to look for and what to ask. You will find our community is very knowledgable and willing to help.

Don't be discouraged. Keep looking, go to some local rallies. Most have a 'trailer crawl' and you will be able to see all sort of trailers, new and old, heavily modified and factory fresh.

We try to go camping (glamping) once a month between Mar/Apr to Oct/Nov, with one long trip a year. We would go longer and more often if work didn't interfere.

Don't rush your decision you will find the right trailer... then use it and have fun
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I didn't start knowing how to use a ball peen screwdriver and now, I am amazed at the stuff I'm learning and having fun doing.
Hmmm, the ball peen screwdriver...is that the tool you need to fix the muffler bearings on the trailer?

On a more serious note, choosing a trailer involves a lot of managing expectations. What do YOU want out of a trailer, or out of a vacation, for that matter.

For some, the issue is the "rent" vs. "own" difference. Do you want to show up, stay somewhere, then go home and never need to give it another thought? Or are you okay with making lists while on vacation of things that might need a bit of attention when you get home? Or, even further in that direction, can you see yourself being eager to get home and work on that next intriguing little improvement that you just thought of while camping next to some lake?

If you're in that first group, you might want to stick with vacationing in someone else's cabin.

If you don't mind the responsibilities of ownership, you'll be fine with an Airstream. Yes, there are occasional expenses. If you're not sure what to look for to avoid the ones you don't feel comfortable dealing with yet, contact a volunteer inspector from the forum (there's a list on the right side of the portal page) and have them check out any older unit that catches your eye. Or get a new one and shake out all the rough edges under warranty.

Few units are perfect from the start and things do wear out over time. But it is manageable if you know what you want, know what you can do, and have an idea of what to expect.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Discouraged

What you read here is often the exception and not the rule.
We have owned 5 tow trailers and 2 sailboats since 1974 and used all extensively without a major problem. Oh to be sure there was the time when sailing home to Seattle from SE Alaska we hit a log took on water and thought briefly we were going to sink. Instead, we got to work stopped the leak worked on the boat all afternoon and went on south returning home without further incident.

We have wintered in Arizona 5 winters without problems other than a couple of flats. Our 2010 airstream now has 18,000 mi and performs flawlessly.

we love it! I follow the maintenance manual, watch my tires for condition and pressure and do not drive above the speed limit.

Go for it and just be cautious but have fun.

Lou
NWGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote