Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions

Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
My dad always told when it comes t projects there's 3 ways of doing it, good, fast, cheap. You can normally do it with a combination of any 2 but never with all 3 and the project will end up being the opposite of which ever one you leave out.

Courtesy parking-- water, elect. and wi-fi.
To those who are about to Stream-I salute you!
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Airstream siding and some other suggestions...

Originally Posted by spanky1313
My question is, how do I replace rusty siding, I've been all over the internet and cannot find airstream siding.
If you are talking about the inner or outer skin of your airstream it is all aluminum - hence probably not really rust. The outer skin is what they call Alclad aluminum which basically means it has a coating of aluminum that can be polished. The best places to find replacement aluminum are from companies that supply the home built aircraft industry. Here is one supplier:

Airparts Inc. Homepage

You will need information about riviting. The inner skins are attached with standard aluminum pop rivits of the type you can find at most any hardware store or at Lowes or Home Depot. They are the 1/8" diameter ones. The outer skins most typically are replaced using Olympic blind rivits from the outside. I would suggest typing "rivits" or "aluminum" in the search box at the upper right to get more information. Also, one of the bes buys I made for my Airstream work was an air powered pop rivet gun from Harbor Freight. Here are a couple of riviting related threads:

I am giving serious thought to installing a dead bolt lock on my AS along the lines of the information at the following link:

Dead Bolt Installation

For flooring I would suggest a really good alternative to look at would the Trafficmaster Allure line of vinyl plank flooring that Home Depot has started to carry. Check out the products on their website as follows:

Search Results for vinyl flooring

Much of it is shown to be online order only and they may be a little short of supply right now. I found that my local store carried 3 wood plank look types. Some nice things about the product if you can find some are the following:

1.) The price is good at less than $2 per square foot with very little waste since it comes in strips.

2.) The resulting floor is floating so it would be easy to replace or fix later.

3.) The material is a tough vinyl that should hold up pretty well.

4.) Installation is by gluing the strips to each other - not to the floor. They have an adhesive strip built in that overlaps the next sheet.

5.) I was pleasantly suprised at how nice the 3 varieties that I saw locally looked.

One place to check for charge/convetors is a company owned by a Forum member. They offer good advice over the phone too.

BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics

There is a tremendous amount of information about almost everything Airstream here in the forums. It is well worth using the search feature. Just ask for help if you are stuck.

Only he who attempts the ridiculous can achieve the impossble.
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote