Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Chewelah , Washington
Switches and outside light

Hi, I got a reprocopy of the owners manual, and can find no reference to a couple of what look like light switches. One is just inside the door and the other one is a couple feet fwd of the door and about a foot higher than the switch by the door. Have no idea what these are for as they don't seem to operate anything. Both are of the same style and look like rocker switches. Also on the outside is a light just forward of the door that looks similiar to the backup light in size and has a chrome bezzel around it, Says Signal-Stat or something like that along with maker etc. What is it and is one of the switches suppose to operate it?
Thanks
gmshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello gmshadow,

The large round light is a " scare light " as it is known and is made by signal stat or grote ,can be had new ,auto parts stores have them .One of the
switches should operate that light,do you have a much smaller light or
evidence of one above the door towards the front ? that too could be
switched by one of those as well .What year trailer is it ?

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
This light runs off the 12 volt power. Mostlikely the bulb is burnt out. It gives quite good light when it is working.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Chewelah , Washington
Is a 1969 Overlander Intl. Accidently found out the switch just inside the door operates one of the overhead ceiling lights if it is left on, can turn it off at the door. The Signal Stat light does not function. Bulb is ok. The inside switch that doesn't seem to operate anything is just below the light on the inside. There does not seem to be any other exterior lights on the outside. Actually light is just fwd of the side windows and just fwd of the awning.
gmshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
A volt metter should tell you whether the switch is shot or the connection to it. I would start from the bulb socket and look to see if you have a good ground and then work backwards from there. If it is like mine the inside switch is a toggle switch and you can not get to the back of it or replace it without taking down an interior panel. Not something I would be willing to do just to fix an exterior light which I would rarely use. You can always just plug a light into the outside socket if you want a little light for the stairs.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
Rosie the Riveted

1975 27' Overlander
Balfour , BC
Check the fuses

My husband just spent all day Saturday checking out the electrical systems on our 70 Tradewind and had the identical questions about those switches. He found a couple of blown fuses, replaced them, and all is good to go now.
Ken & Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Eureka , California
I had the same problem with my 68 Overlander. The switch on mine was slightly corroded and needed a good cleaning. I drilled out the rivets holding the switch to the inner skin and pulled the switch out of the wall. Then I used some dielectric cleaner and sprayed it into the switch. By turning on and off the switch several times, the contacts came clean and the scare light started to work again. I then squirted some Triflow into the switch to lubricate it, replaced it in the wall and re riveted it into place. The light works good as new.
Bobz Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
The switch at the front is for the scare light. The one by the door can either be a porch light or a 3 way for the interior lights. My 70's vintage trailers all have 2 switches by the door, one is a three way with the light over the galley the other is the light over the door.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Bolton , Massachusetts
I am replacing the rocker switches that controll the overhead lights in the bank by the entry door
has anyone any idea of where I can get a high low switch.I do see some on off but I need a three position job. Thanks
Paul J Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I believe what you are looking for is commonly called a "single pole double throw" switch. The three positions are ON--OFF--ON.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Bolton , Massachusetts
thanks it looks like a generic switch so i could probably find it locally -not really a unique airstream part .?
Paul J Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Common switch

It should be a common type of switch. You might try an automotive stereo shop or well equipped auto parts store; maybe even Radio Shack
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I believe what you are looking for is commonly called a "single pole double throw" switch. The three positions are ON--OFF--ON.
A single pole double throw switch is just on/off. That's the single pole part. The double throw part is that the switch will disconnect both wires (pos & Neg) to an electric device. It has 4 screws or wire attaching spots. Kinda like 2 switches built into 1.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I must disagree with 3 dog night. A single pole single throw switch is just ON-OFF, it has 2 screws. A single pole double throw switch is ON-OFF-ON, it has 3 screws. A double pole single throw switch is ON- OFF except it switches both positive and negative, it has 4 screws. A double pole double throw switch is ON-OFF-ON and switches both the positive and negative, it has 6 screws. The latter is often used for reversing a motor.
There is also a single throw switch that is used in 3 way circuits, it really doesn't have a designated ON-OFF. It has 3 screws and switches the power from the center screw to one or the other of the outside screws. I have attached a sketch of it.This could be what you have if there is a 3 way lighting circuit in your trailer. A double pole version of this single throw switch also is available.
There are other combinations of these switches, but these are the most common.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 3 way switch.bmp (576.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Folly Beach , South Carolina
switch questions

I realize this is an old thread, but I am replacing my entry rocker switches and may add an additional switch or 2 if feasible. My question is what is the difference between 6 pin dpdt switches like the existing one and ones I see online with 7 pins? Does the 7th pin accommodate the lighted switch that indicates they are on? What should amperage be for replacements? If I were to add an overhead light and switch, could I tap into the power at the same location? I would most likely switch over to LED's so there would be less draw.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chris
Daddyo_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Folly Beach , South Carolina
update

Spoke with Rocker Switch Pros today, actually local to me and they explained the 7th pin is for ground and needed for backlit illumination. However, I don't believe I have a ground wire in this location. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If not is it possible to ground to The chassis? or to part of the interior or exterior skin?

Chris
Daddyo_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Yes, the trailer body is ground.