Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2004, 09:27 AM   #1

Thumbs up sidneygruber

I was encouraged by the pictures of barkingspiders repair. I just discovered that my 72 tradewind needs 3 feet of rear frame replaced as well as the rear channel and 2 feet of rear floor. The shower drain had no tightening nut on it and all the shower water had drained into the floor, possibly from new.

I had a sheet metal shop bend up two 4 foot sections of new frame, and am looking for a welder to install them. I removed the old rusted frame with a sawzall from underneath. I plan to replace the frame and channel now, and remove the bathroom later to install the new floor. I had to cut the frame off directly under the converter. I will supply pictures.
latrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Welcome to the forum sidneygruber!
This is the place to be for a restoration like that!
You'll find lots of help here. Good luck.
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #3

crossmember

I wonder if the original frame crossmembers are still available to replace my rusted ones. Does anyone know if the stamped crossmembers of the 70s are still used today? I could have some bent up by a sheet metal shop, but would prefer to use the original if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuber
Welcome to the forum sidneygruber!
This is the place to be for a restoration like that!
You'll find lots of help here. Good luck.
latrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I had crossmembers made at a local mfg shop. Keep in mind that they might be cheaper if you get them locally, and you can make them thicker if you want.

I have heard that the frames on some of the 70's were marginal to begin with. Something about reducing weight during the gas crisis.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 05:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Smile Frame repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneygruber
I was encouraged by the pictures of barkingspiders repair. I just discovered that my 72 tradewind needs 3 feet of rear frame replaced as well as the rear channel and 2 feet of rear floor. The shower drain had no tightening nut on it and all the shower water had drained into the floor, possibly from new.

I had a sheet metal shop bend up two 4 foot sections of new frame, and am looking for a welder to install them. I removed the old rusted frame with a sawzall from underneath. I plan to replace the frame and channel now, and remove the bathroom later to install the new floor. I had to cut the frame off directly under the converter. I will supply pictures.
Looking forward to your photos. I am working on the rear bath of my '75 Tradewind. The frame is degraded. I have a weld shop working on replacement sections. I am looing to extend the rear bumper an extra foot while I'm at it.
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Angle iron works too...

I made a new cross-member for the back end of my AS using 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle iron and some 2" x 1/8" flat stock for veritical memebers. I wrote up something about it in post #49 of the following thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=cross-member

There is a photo of part of the new cross-member there. The new cross-member is definitely both heavier and stronger than the original. I thought this would be fine for the one at the very back but it might be sturdier than necessary for other locations. It does work though and nothing special was needed in the way of fabrication other than welding it in place. I had a welder that makes house calls come by and do it for me since I do not weld.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote