Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
bathroom removal

I need to replace the 2" of plywood across my rear wall. That is a pencil stuck right through the floor in the photo. I was hoping to remove all the bathroom fixtures without gutting the entire trailer. I know that the fixtures are all installed from the back to the front, but I should be able to do it without too much difficulty right? Just start finding the screws and remove the fixtures... Get the vanity out and then the black tank/ toilet can slide out and the tub has room to slide out without removing the wardrobes...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0893.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	48947Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	48946

The black tank is straddled by a closet, does it come out by removing the toilet, and lifting it from the rear/ left side in photo or will I need to remove the closet to get it out? The vent pipes run through this closet and my power comes in here too.

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	48948
I need to do my renovations in phases and I am hoping to not gut her out all at once. I want to fix the rear and restore the bathroom over the winter, so we can use Anna for camping next season. Next winter, I will jump into some other major project. Do little stuff along the way. The last thing I want to do is be totally without a trailer next year. I have to do a little at a time.
I am interested in anyones input. I know that the sensible thing to do, is to gut it out totally, but I cannot be without the trailer next season. If someone wants to loan our family a trailer so I can go all the way, than I will, but for now I want to try and blast through a 4 month partial floor and bathroom renovation. No problem right?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
No problem, right!

Hey there Frank. Yes, you can remove the bath area without gutting the trailer. You might need to go to the rear of the twins.. but no further. I bet once you remove the toilet and tub, you'll find that you want to replace floor up to at least that area. Then, you'll know you are solid in the rear and can move forward from there. You can take your time... and do it right as you go. Or, send it up to central NY to my Uncles... he just did a rear bath in his Sovereign - the floor anyway without taking the entire interior out.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

Frank,

I know exactly how you feel. I had no intentions of gutting my whole trailer, but as I got into it I decided to do so. That does not mean that I needed to though. I think the tub unit in yours is smaller than the one in my '67, so it should be a little easier to maneuver out.

As Rob suggested I would consider replacing the full rear 4' of floor. I thought mine was good except for the back street corner... until I got it out (see pict below).

In the long run you will be much happier if you redo the complete bath. Sounds like a project that can be completed by next spring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear_floor.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	49160  
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Are you done yet? You had 48 hrs since you started. That's about how long it's going to take, if you stick with it. No reason to worry about the next camping season.
I would poke the entire perimeter of the trailer first, before removing anything. Check by the door, and under the windows, especially the front window. Be thorough, and be afraid, very afraid.
I would want to be sure that the floor is deserving of a partial replacement, before embarking on major operations.
Next step wouldbe to find out what made it rot in teh first place, and find the problem. Is it aplumbing leak, ar bad window seal? Maybe it's leaking by the rear bumper/shell joint? You might want to solve the problem along with the symptoms. Just thinking....
Old 11-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Uwe, I am so glad you are keeping an eye on me. I have read a lot of threads, and you know what you are talking about. I have surveyed it all around the best I can without removing too much. The rot is all across the back end and I know that the bathroom windows leaks very much. I am working on stopping all the leaks, but it takes time. I know that it is coming in the top of the drip cap and then into the top of the window frame. I know this, because when I did this to the trailer,

Name:	IMG_0952.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	49172

Name:	IMG_0953.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	49173
it stopped. I have drilled off one drip cap and began picking the putty out of the top and sides of the window frame. Once I get a good number of windows prepped, I will inject vulkum into the seam.

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	49176
Steve, I am sure that my floor will look the same as yours once I get it out, only reversed... an Ohio thing.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote