Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Waldorf , Maryland
Adding plywood on top of floor?

I'm currently in the demo process of my 75 sovereign and have torn out the (cheap) hardwood floor and (gross) carpet that was lying under the hardwood and to no surprise I found rot in two places. I've already ordered some por15 epoxy to put over the rot but my dad seems to think I should also lay another layer of plywood over the floor from front to back of my airstream. Has anyone else had any experience laying an extra layer of plywood down before laying new hardwood? Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated I'm such a newbie over here! 😄 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414349650.532946.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	225146
gYpsydreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would remove the rotted areas and make patches if the remainder of the floor is solid.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
My original floor was solid, but I added 1/4" plywood on top of that in order to give a clean surface for Marmoleum adhesive to adhere to. When I went to put the appliances and walls back in, everything was 1/4" off. It really complicated the process and I regretted adding the extra plywood.

In the long run, I suspect you'll be happier if you do it right and replace the rotted sections. Adding another layer will cause lots of headaches.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Gypsy the issue is not the rot you see, but the connection under the wall. If you remove the inner skin you will be looking at a C or F shaped channel. That two inch section of plywood is what holds your frame and body together. THAT will surely need to be replaced. I will guess that the rear section in the bathroom is also rotted badly as it is in most 70's trailers - mine included. Replace it, don't mess around with epoxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
P.S. That. Carpet under the hardwood? That's what you call and encapsulated sponge.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 10-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Waldorf , Maryland
So the inner skin should come off most definitely in order to properly repair this rot?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
In order to access the hold down bolts and screws that go through the c/f channel and your old/new plywood yes the lower interior skins need to come off.

Once you see behind those walls.... Then you might be down the rabbit hole

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 10-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Waldorf , Maryland
Thanks for all of the advice I really appreciate it I'd certainly like to do it right the first time so I won't have to go back and redo it in a few years ☺️
Old 10-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Your absolutely 100% correct. Do it the right way now. And forget about it for the next 50 years.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 10-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There are many threads about floor replacement and patching. Use the SEARCH function here and review one or two. It's always better to learn from others mistakes than to replicate them. One of the odd things I noted was that Airstreams aren't necessarily symetrical. One person made a template of one side of the floor, flipped it and cut the whole section to repace across the rear... then found that the two curves were NOT identical. Luckily he'd cut the fatter curve, so trimming the other side worked. Had he gotten the skinny side, he'd have been looking for a whole new piece of plywood.

Also how thick IS the subfloor's plywood? Some are 3/4 inch, others 5/8 of an inch. Buy 3/4 inch plywood, and then find out it won't fit in the C channel - ARG! Some people deliberately put in the thicker floor for strength, then have to use a router or sander to reduce the edges to fit into the C-Channel... AND deal with any issues of re-fitting bathtubs, walls, fixtures of all sort.

Before you touch a tool, READ! (and as you progress with the work, tell us about your trip down the rabbit hole!)

Paula
Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I know everyone is talking about replacing it, which is probably best, but you can add plywood underlayment for Marmoleum like Thalweg mentioned doing. I've done this in a mobile home after replacing subfloor. But this is really to create a smooth adhesive surface. Not fix rotten floors.

It's this stuff: Underlayment (Common: 7/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.; Actual: 0.196 in. x 48 in. x 96 in.)-431178 at The Home Depot