Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1974 - 1979 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Pig in a Poke '78/28' Ambassador

I am looking to buy a 1978 that has not been moved in 8 yrs. Have read a lot and printed out all the forms. There is no electricity where the camper is located. Know the tires need to be replaced. It needs a bath. Belly pan is there, but several rivets have failed. Soft spot in front, but does not appear to be rotted. Rusted bumper. Water leak in bathroom that appears to be from ceiling exhaust. Tree limb dented in rear endcap, but no holes in aluminum. Minor dent in front endcap.
Questions galore. Can I clean the outside where it sits with a spray cleaner? Need to remove pinestraw from roof to inspect. PO says everything worked 8 yrs ago.
Any help and guidance appreciated.
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamper1 View Post
I am looking to buy a 1978 that has not been moved in 8 yrs. Have read a lot and printed out all the forms. There is no electricity where the camper is located. Know the tires need to be replaced. It needs a bath. Belly pan is there, but several rivets have failed. Soft spot in front, but does not appear to be rotted. Rusted bumper. Water leak in bathroom that appears to be from ceiling exhaust. Tree limb dented in rear endcap, but no holes in aluminum. Minor dent in front endcap.
Questions galore. Can I clean the outside where it sits with a spray cleaner? Need to remove pinestraw from roof to inspect. PO says everything worked 8 yrs ago.
Any help and guidance appreciated.

The following should be checked.

All exterior gaskets, especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, that only last 2 to 3 years. That may be the leak you found.

You can easily make an in field LPG leak test.

Check the running gear. You can learn how to easily do that by reading the "axle" article in the Airstream Central section of this Forums.

Check for any signs of mold.

Broken windows patched with plastic.

Carpet, drapes, and upholstery.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
End cap dents are very hard to fix. Even the easy way ( a relative term) of pushing them out requires removal of the interior and it is a big deal. The hard way, and only way to completely fix dents, is complete panel replacement. Make sure you can live with the dents and don't pay to much and you should be OK. You will find lots of things to fix,take the "everything worked" with a grain of salt. If you can get someone with experience to look at if with you, you will have a much better feel for what you are getting, and what would be a fair price. You can find a list of folks who will help with inspections here on the forums. There is not much that can't be fixed on older Airstreams, question is time and money.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Thanks for the replies. Just spent another 3hrs there. Original 7.0x 15 tires. Steel wheels need to be wire brushed and painted. Plan to install D225/75R15. Found one leak over refrigerator. The cabinet has sagged. Will add pictures (when I figure out how to) of upper vent. It was burried under alot of decomposed pinestraw. Second dent on rt endcap has a flared piece of skin. Gaskets all need to be replaced (windows, doors, access doors). Meet with PO tomorrow. Do not plan to offer much money. Will check out axle, shocks, brakes. Plan to move it to a campground about 200 miles from here. Not going to use it to travel.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
pictures: look for the paperclip icon above editing window to "add attachments" then find them on your computer and add away (helps to give the pic files descriptive names first like 'cabinet interior' etc)....then you can insert each shot into a post with captions, questions, etcx
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Dent in endcap

First try at adding pics. Thanks for the info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream78 008.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	578.8 KB
ID:	96450  
Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Looks familiar, but worse...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...air-49308.html
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Hope it works out for you. We love our 78 Ambassador and fortunately it was garaged and well maintained. Our 65 on the other hand was an everytiing worked once a long , long time ago experience. Even with that we were able to bring her back to life and had some good camping trips before we bought the 78.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hello Skamper1,

First of all Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you. The issues of leakage, loose belly skin and soft spots in the floor are all common issues with older Airstreams. Two major items of concern for me when looking to purchase any unit is floor damage in any rear baths and missing, or non functioning appliances.

Rear bath removal to fix floor damage can be a major project and is not for the faint of heart. RV appliances tend to be expensive and the cost to replace a furnace, refrigerator, water heater and AC may exceed the cost of the trailer in some cases.

That is quite a dent in the rear segments. Some dent removal is possible and others here have had good success but large dents with creases usually means segment replacement. Some have pushed dents such as this out from the inside and simply live with the cosmetic boo-boo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamper1 View Post
PO says everything worked 8 yrs ago.
I'd take this comment with a grain of salt. Even if the Seller is truthful and honest I'd want to know for sure or have him be prepared to negotiate the price accordingly.

Best of luck and welcome again,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Sitting for eight years is really tough on an Airstream. The tires will definitely need to be replaced even for a short trip. The axles will need to be replaced to take on the road any distance. The brakes probably need replacing, too.

A lot to replace to move 200 miles. You might consider a newer unit or one in better condition to become a park model. Even at $2,000-$3,000 more than this one, you'd be money ahead.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
I bought a 78 a few years ago and it had not moved in 14+ years. Check out my blog to see what you may be in for. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you have not figured it out yet, hangin here you will get lots of different opinions. So here is mine.

If the tires hold air, you are careful, take it slow, bring a spare and some axle grease you will probably be OK towing the trailer. My big concern would be the trailer brakes, but a big TV should take care of that unless you have some BIG downhills.

As a general rule of thumb you will put in a lot more money into a handiman special than spending the bucks on a trailer which has had this work already done.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Thanks for all the advice. I am leaving now to meet the owner and go over the camper. Have checklist filled out. Lots of questions. Taking propane bottle to check for leaks. Won't have power or water. If the price is right, who knows.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Update: Owner showed without keys and manuals. Showed him the two leaks, floors, tires, and new dents. The propane gauge said there was some gas, but he didn't even know how or remember how to light the stove. Low balled an offer. He said he did not know what it was worth and would get back with me. Thanks for all the help on what to look for and how to decide on a fair price. This may not be the one, but has been fun none the less.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Seller called and now has a price. We are far apart. He says a restored 78'28' Ambassador is selling for $14,000 and up. Think his information is outdated. At least he realizes this is an "as found" and not restored. He has lost the keys and I am going to have a locksmith make keys for compartments so I can take a look inside and then get back with him. I assume I can remove the lock from an open compartment and take it to a locksmith. Will that key work the other compartments? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A restored 78 could go as high as 14K, but getting an as found to restored will most likely take a lot more then the 14K final value. If you use that math, he should pay you to take it away. The restored value has nothing to do with the current value.

Many of the keys are the same. I was able to get a compartment door key that works for my 75 from Out-of-Doors Mart . If you can find someone in your area with a similar unit, you may be in luck as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
A restored 78 could go as high as 14K, but getting an as found to restored will most likely take a lot more then the 14K final value. If you use that math, he should pay you to take it away. The restored value has nothing to do with the current value.
That about says it all. So what is his price?

If this does not work out there are a lot of 70s around. Go lowball and if he doesn't bite wait. 50/50 he will call you back in a couple of months. Maybe by then you will find something better.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Someone sent me a chart that shows there are four different keys! Yikes. I will check with a locksmith that has been in Savannah for decades. Thanks for the help with "as found" vs renovated. Did not have a proper comeback.

Tags
1975 ambassador, 1978 ambassador