Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1970 -1973 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Great idea, Cameron! I would have never thought of that. Gonna put some fiberglass in now before they finish the plumbing in the shower wall.

Lots of good things happening right now. AC & DC power is all wired now, and the plumbing to the appliances is going in this week.

On Saturday, I got to see all my new, expensive toys that came in and place them. A lot of creativity is coming into play now.

Sealand Traveler 500 toilet, MaxxAir fans,

Penguin DuoTherm AC, Splendide 7100 XC ventless washer/dryer,

which I hope will be SPECTACULAR! When it arrived at my contractor's, they kept looking for the second half until they realized it's all-in-one.

I want to keep the front of the trailer empty from the windows up. Behind that, I have the washing machine on one side, dishwasher on the other (at the front end of the axles). Then some empty space that will probably turn into counter/cupboard underneath a window. Then the refrigerator on one side and bed/fresh water on the other. These are completely over the axles.

The TwinTemp Junior!

There are 3 blowers for this. One will be on the wall by the door, aimed forward. One aimed straight-ahead near the center, and one in the cubby behind the bathtub underneath the sink.

There's also a Koldfront dishwasher and Sun Frost refrigerator (this is my baby!) but pictures will have to wait until next time.

I wanted to strip the walls to the aluminum, but the vinyl had to soak for over a day in the stripper and the labor would be way out of my budget. So my ugly walls will probably become slightly less ugly after I get them primed. Not sure what I want to do with them yet..
BrockLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
WOW-love the way you are going with this. We didn't like the crappy tub either but went with a 24" shower pan. We still store stuff back there when traveling. Can't wait to see more pictures.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Thanks! This has been my dream for a long time. I wanted to live aboard a yacht since I was in high school. Then I realized land yachts are where it's at

I've had my Airstream since 2007, but had a lot of trouble finding local folks willing to work on it, so I had plenty of time to plan the interior!

The issue I had with the original tub (aside from it being tiny) is the back is a quarter circle. There's no way someone can lean back in that and be even remotely comfortable.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
A lot of stuff accomplished since my last post! I am working with several new contractors that I am happier with. Before, I was working with folks 3 hours away, and they'd do stuff or not do stuff and I'd only find out after it was done!

I moved into it on July 20 with only the essentials. I was called crazy. A lot. None of the appliances are mounted at all.. when it was towed to the campsite, the toilet wasn't even in! So we booked it: put in the shower walls, installed the toilet, built the bed and cabinet around the wheelwells, removed the old Vulkem outside and resealed everything, and more!

I added insulation in the bathtub finally! I did black pipe insulation on all of the pipes at the walls, but apparently I didn't take a picture, which sucks because I did a really neat job of it!

The bath is THE BEST THING EVER! It stays really warm, and I can run a full one no sweat with the TwinTemp! I ended up getting a different shower and bath faucet, as the other one was too big. I am only 5'4" and it was too short for me, with the curve in the wall.

I have the cork flooring here, but it's supposed to be very soft I was advised to put it in as the very last thing, so it doesn't get marred.

I have a new found appreciation for TSP. I was scrubbing and scrubbing the walls with soap and spray foam automotive cleaner, and they didn't really look any different. But I put on the TSP and the dirt just melted off. It was amazing! I used Tuff Stuff spray foam for some black areas that the TSP barely worked on, and a Skoy cloth instead of a sponge kept everything from dripping. That combo rocked. I wish I had the opportunity to do this when it was just a shell, but live & learn. So 20 hours of wall washing later, and I'm ready to sand and prime.

Here's a before & after:

That spot is behind the bathtub, in the back. That is where I am going to mount the sink and dishwasher - it should all be under the back window so I can still open/close it.

I had purchased a copper sink which ended up being really huge and heavy, despite me picking out the smallest one there was, so I returned it and took a chance. I bought a porcelain vessel sink. I have NO idea if it will break, but it is small and lightweight, and I figure my toilet is also porcelain so why not try? Anyway, it just looks so cool...

Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #25
and my trusty lab Helga

1965 17' Caravel
1985 32' Excella
Midland , South Dakota
I have a 1972 29' ambassador too and I am with you I like the rear bath and I am able to sit down and soak! Even at 6' 1" 275lbs. I like the idea that your going with a bigger tub combo one question is it realy nesesary to have a grey water tank on the older models? My owners manual say's you can dig a hole and dump your grey water on the ground. It also goes into a option "good luck finding one!" A thermister witch basicly runs the grey water threw a small tube to your exhaust header on your vehicle. Anyway congrats on your rare treat and may all your upgrades go smothly I will folow your progress.
handyman1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Hey Handyman, the campsite I am at now (western PA) just has everyone dump grey water on the ground, but I know not all are like this. Not sure what environmental or zoning laws are involved. I use natural & biodegradable soaps, so I don't feel too bad about it. Many commercial shampoos though are not biodegradable (how gross is that? hah!).

Oh but it's been awhile since I updated you guys. The walls have been de-grossed, caulked, primed & painted. Wired in 2 new outlets in the bath area and had a laminate countertop put in in preparation for my sink (which is going to be installed in 2 days WOOOO!!).

I am totally in love with these outlet covers I found. I had them brass plated them put foil cardstock behind them.

Also brass plated the window locks and levers (levers aren't on yet until I finish the screens). My bathroom is becoming beautiful.

My TwinTemp heater/hotwater is in a cabinet. I got vents for the blowers, but the heater itself gets pretty warm so I decided to put a grate on the cabinet so that heat wouldn't go to waste. This one is cast aluminum. I had it polished. I painted it with gold Rustoleum to match the brass, but this picture is just the aluminum. Will probably end up putting some sort of screen backing on it so the TwinTemp is hidden from view.

Before it got too cold, I heat taped & insulated the outside pipes and drains. Looking at UltraHeat peel & stick tank heaters for both the black & grey. Also put up bubble foil on the access doors, vents, and some of the windows - I feel like I am in an aluminum space egg! But it keeps it cozy.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Oh, one more thing -

Handyman. What I did for the grey tank is since the back 2 frame crossbeams were rusted out, I had new ones welded in around the new waste tanks (they were moved around 2 inches I think). Tanks are 28gal each and didn't have to be custom made.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Waterboro , Maine
Can you post some pics of the black water and gray water tank installations?
kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
I am in the process of buying a 1972 Ambassador. The PO tells me that the electric brakes are not working. How do I correct this problem? Also what should I be looking for to determine if the axles need to be replaced?
All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
Rodney
urb2165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urb2165 View Post
I am in the process of buying a 1972 Ambassador. The PO tells me that the electric brakes are not working. How do I correct this problem? Also what should I be looking for to determine if the axles need to be replaced?
Thanks
Rodney
Rodney.

Reading the "Dura-torque axle" article in the Airstream Central part of this Forums, will tell you how to check the axles out yourself.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by urb2165 View Post
Thanks
Rodney
The brake issue could be something as simple as bad wiring (short or open). Inspect the wiring to see if it looks good. If all appears good, then take a voltmeter to your brake lines when you have the brakes applied. That should tell you a lot right there. If you have good voltage then your brake might be siezed.

As for bad axles, generally you can determine a bad axle on a '72 if the top of the wheel well covers a portion of the wheels/rims. Post a picture of your Ambassador and we can help you out.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1972, 1972 ambassador, insulation, rebuild, rear bathroom