Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lafayette , Colorado
PayPal Vouchers for payment?

Hello everyone.

Just a quick question. I have recently contacted a seller on Airstreamclassifieds about their post for a Caravel. I finally heard back tonight, and I am confused. The seller wants me to "send my full name and shipping address" to process the sale through PayPal. To quote "use PayPal vouchers for your proof and they will give you 3 days inspection period".

Has anyone heard of making a secure purchase with PayPal this way?

He claims, "the vouchers will remain in my pocket until I test the trailer" and he "will have the peace of mind that I'm a serious buyer".

I have searched "PayPal Voucher Scams" and haven't found anything. This just seems totally convoluted way to make a sale. Any thoughts?

Crimp
crimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Scam, run away as fast as you can.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
If this was on Airstream Classifieds on this forum, the moderator should be informed and the ad pulled, as this is a SCAM for sure. Be careful, as they are everywhere these days!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There is, as far as I know, no such thing as a "paypal voucher." I agree that this is a very scammy request and recommend that you have no further contact with the "seller." I have dealt with the ad in question.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Silver Cliff , Colorado
run run run as fast as you can

Run as fast as you can, it is a scam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimp View Post
Hello everyone.

Just a quick question. I have recently contacted a seller on Airstreamclassifieds about their post for a Caravel. I finally heard back tonight, and I am confused. The seller wants me to "send my full name and shipping address" to process the sale through PayPal. To quote "use PayPal vouchers for your proof and they will give you 3 days inspection period".

Has anyone heard of making a secure purchase with PayPal this way?

He claims, "the vouchers will remain in my pocket until I test the trailer" and he "will have the peace of mind that I'm a serious buyer".

I have searched "PayPal Voucher Scams" and haven't found anything. This just seems totally convoluted way to make a sale. Any thoughts?

Crimp
D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
Anderson , California
Hmmm... that sounds kinda fishy.

I would tell him I will send a refundable deposit to him through PayPal to secure the deal contingent on, and full payment only if the inspection and deal goes through. If it doesn't it's easy to get your deposit back through PP.

And not a big deposit neither. List those terms on the send money PP payment note. PayPal gives him your address only if he's a member in good standing.

He doesn't need it from you.

Pat
AirstreamPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Sounds exactly like the SCAM that is going on with selling other stuff on line. In this case, it's very common for someone to offer a certified check. The way it works is that the certified check is either counterfeit or actually stolen. They make out the check for an amount greater than the sale price, and want you to refund the difference with your own check. You end up with a worthless piece of paper (which, by the way, is initially accepted by your bank, but 30 days later they close your account when they discover the nature of the check.) And by now, you may have also delivered your Airstream (although in the case of the other scam, they simply abandon the goods, but you're out the thing that you're selling, the cash that you refunded, shipping costs, and on the hook for a bogus form of payment.

RUN away from this!!!!! Or better yet, if you're so inclined, either contact your local District Attorney, or at the very least, notify PayPal of the scam.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Airstream - Other
Port Orchard , Washington
I have used PayPal for several years and purchased my AS using PayPal. They are very helpful and have retrieved my funds a couple of times form a bad seller. If you go to the PayPal site there is a number to contact them. I would call them and have them verify what this person is telling you.
inthralled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Here is a payment option that I will be using when I finally have mine ready to sell, It will cost me a bout $250 to go this way. Maybe you could contact the seller and ask if he would be willing to go this option...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...om-131792.html
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Paypal is awful. It's the easiest way to get ripped off. Make sure what you are looking at exists. Trailer, valid title, bill of sale, signatures, hand him the cash and its a done deal. Welcome to the forum!
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Cash! It takes all of the worry out of dealing with strangers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Cash! It takes all of the worry out of dealing with strangers.
Cash... it's the only way to fly. I give you cash, you give me the trailer and the clear title. No warranty expressed, implied and should not be inferred. All sales final.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
On that note though, I see folks all the time selling cars and and saying stuff like 'no test drives unless you have cash', and there is NO WAY I would take a wad of cash to a stranger's place to check out their car. I can always come back with the cash later.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
What ever the situation when dealing with strangers it is prudent to use due diligence and maintain condition yellow (if you have to ask, Google it) until clear.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
If possible - arrange the transaction at the local police station.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
What you want is an option contract, that's what we use when selling cars. It's a deposit with teeth. You write up a contract spelling out the terms of the sale. Purchase price, list the details of the trailer including VIN, length etc. List how many days you have to inspect the trailer and make the sale contingent on the inspection. If the inspection turns up items you aren't comfortable you get your money back. If you can't get it together in time the seller keeps your deposit to offset their time.

If they're serious they'll agree, if not just move on.

And while paypal is fine for a deposit, you want to use cash or a cashier's check to buy. I will take a cashier's check as long as I can call the bank and confirm it. Not by using the phone number they give me, but by googling the bank.

Your spidey senses will guide you.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
If this is the same person I got ask to use it for a 67 caravel in Florida. He wanted the same thing last night from me but it sounded to good for me and I had to ask to!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is another scam going on, that takes advantage of a person's distress in a time of turmoil.
There was recently a death in my family, and someone called a relative of mine, wanting credit card info to process the funeral arrangements. It was not the place handling said arrangements, but somebody that found out about it, and tried to cash in.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #19

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lafayette , Colorado
Yes. Same $8000 1967 Caravel. Assured me it was "no scam". But he didn't have the nerve to call and convince me.
crimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #20
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have bought and sold vehicles using Paypal for a deposit to hold the vehicle. It is refundable. When picking up the vehicle, instead of using cash or check, use a Federal wire transfer, bank to bank. Once the transfer is complete in 15 to 60 minutes. Vehicle drives away. Clean and safe.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote