Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
ordering a new 16' Sport with modifications

Hi Everybody. I've been lurking here for a long time, reading and learning as much as I can. So much great advice!

I wonder if anyone here has ordered a new 16' Sport with modifications. I'm thinking about putting in a rear panorama window to replace the small window. The Internationals have this and it really makes all the difference in that little space! The problem for us is that the new International 16' weighs 800lbs more loaded (4300 lbs gvw) than older (2008 and older) 16' Internationals (3500 lbs. gvw) Our 4Runner can pull 5000 max, so we need to keep under that magic 80% of max towing. SO, either we find a gently used 16' International that comes in at 3500 lbs or we order a new Sport with the added pano window in the back. Anyone ever do this? Just wondering how it worked out for you. Does it add much weight? I called Airstream but they weren't sure how much weight it would add. Answer was "probably not much". We'd also like to replace the no-window door with one that has a window. Maybe they'll call it a Sport Plus!

And hey, if anyone has a clean 16' International for sale with no corrosion, I'm interested!! Looked at a 2006 last weekend, but the corrosion was all over it. It was like Bambi acne! Poor little trailer...

Thanks for reading.
Andy
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi andy

welcome to the forums and ordering.

BOTH should be fun!

yes the pano windows will add weight but give light.

you will also need/want window TREATMENTS of some sort inside (shades/blinds/curtrains)...

and might want the framed/stone guards outside (often called sunglasses)

the lexan/stone guards are nice because of the tinting/privacy and the LOOK COOL!....

that'll add weight too.

NEXT u will want the patio AWNING and maybe a small window awning or 2...

then perhaps SOLAR panels or a 2nd battery?

1 battery is NOT MUCH juice.
_________

so the issue then becomes as you ADD important/useful stuff to the unit, it will GROW in weight...

cutting INTO the carry capacity for the unit (and it's already NOT very much) ...

this can be dealt with by going to the NEXT rated axle up one level...

now the other issue continues to exist and gets WORSE...

that is the 'towing capacity' of the toy' at 5,000 lbs.

because THAT figure is with the truck EMPTY (except a driver)...

so people, gear, options, toys and so on IN THE TRUCK, all LOWER the towing capacity.

IF you carry much at all for FUN camping (bikes/grills/cooler/chairs/mats) the STUFF in the truck will easily weigh 500 lbs maybe 700 lbs counting people and dogs...
________

so really u need to FIND THE STREAM of YOUR DREAMs....

then get a TINY BIT LARGER tow vehicle or something with MORE CAPACITY than 5k which is really more like 4k...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Andy...I konw you've been here researching and absorbing info a while but haven't posted much...so we're glad you have posted your thoughts & hopes about acquiring your AS.... You'll get some good advice and excellent support here... These folks know a lot! Can't wait for your AS to come along, whether you buy used or new...we'll be waiting eagerly to see you down the road!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
if only i could just win the lottery!

2air, thanks for the good advice! I've been trying to figure out a way to use the 4Runner and not have to shell out a zillion bucks for a new truck, thought I finally had the solution in the lighter weight trailer, but I know you're absolutely right. I suppose I'll have to keep on dreaming and scheming for a while!

And thank you TB! I finally realized what all the rivets meant, so here come the postings from yours truly!

I know we'll be seeing you all out there on the road one day very soon. I hope!
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
We ordered a 16' sport and we were having TV anxiety as well and after much debate we decided to update our TV.

We got a lot of advice and decided that to get exactly what we wanted and with the expense of the trailer, updated our TV was the only option.

If you guys decide to update your TV, then you can get exactly what you want.

We decided to get the 16' sport due to the layout and weight, we even had the microwave and TV taken out because we wanted a camping trailer, not a home away from home.

Happy streamin.
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Andy,

Pick the trailer you want and then choose a tow vehicle to match, not the other way around.

Airstreams last 20 years or more between restorations. Tow vehicles come and go.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Kathryn Mackay

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Victoria , British Columbia
Lexus RX350 with tow package?

Hi, Does anyone have any advice about this scenario: We own a 2009 Lexus RX350 with tow package, tow capacity of 3500 pounds. We'd like to head south from western Canada for the winters and get to the desert, poking about along the way, using the trailer for getting to destinations, then renting places. Does anyone have any advice about whether the 16' Bambis or Sport models are a reasonable option...or is that expecting way too much out of a vehicle with our tow capacity? We travel extremely light, two sets of golf clubs in carry bags and minimal clothing, but...we are new to this and wouldn't want to ruin our vehicle.

Thanks for any objective advice, Kathryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson66 View Post
Hi Everybody. I've been lurking here for a long time, reading and learning as much as I can. So much great advice!

I wonder if anyone here has ordered a new 16' Sport with modifications. I'm thinking about putting in a rear panorama window to replace the small window. The Internationals have this and it really makes all the difference in that little space! The problem for us is that the new International 16' weighs 800lbs more loaded (4300 lbs gvw) than older (2008 and older) 16' Internationals (3500 lbs. gvw) Our 4Runner can pull 5000 max, so we need to keep under that magic 80% of max towing. SO, either we find a gently used 16' International that comes in at 3500 lbs or we order a new Sport with the added pano window in the back. Anyone ever do this? Just wondering how it worked out for you. Does it add much weight? I called Airstream but they weren't sure how much weight it would add. Answer was "probably not much". We'd also like to replace the no-window door with one that has a window. Maybe they'll call it a Sport Plus!

And hey, if anyone has a clean 16' International for sale with no corrosion, I'm interested!! Looked at a 2006 last weekend, but the corrosion was all over it. It was like Bambi acne! Poor little trailer...

Thanks for reading.
Andy
kjbowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Hi Sanjuanview,
We had the same dilemma, looking for airstream to fit a 3500# rated TV. Ended up having to upgrade the TV unless you are willing to buy an older bambi (lighter)
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
Kathryn Mackay

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Victoria , British Columbia
What are the differences between the 19 ft. Flying Cloud, International, Sport, etc.

The advice given above regarding "choose the Airstream you want, then the TV" hit home for us, as we just begin to educate ourselves...it's so obvious when you think about the life expectancy of each of the required parts of this RV life we hope to have in our upcoming retirement. So now we are thinking of possibly looking at a 19 ft. model and work on the vehicle needs from there. I wish the Airstream website made it easier to see what you get in the different models of the same length...any experts out there?
kjbowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16' international, 16' sport