Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Need Help, Is this floor rot?

Looked at this 2005 today, had this stain on the floor in the rear near where the desk chair goes. The dealer said it was the sealant that Airstream seals the underlayment with, penetrating upward. He said he bleached it before we got there and it would not change in appearance. Upon closer examination the floor seemed to be softer there. Could it be floor rot or rotted plywood underneath? He was not too crazy about taking any less for her since he had another party also put a deposit on her.

What would be the fix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0300.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	90914  
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
Don't believe the line about sealant coming up from underneath! To me, even the thought is preposterous!
That is water stain, and it has been leaking somewhere in the wall, even if the leak has been fixed.
Depending on how long it has been leaking, it could only be water stain, but it could also be rotted underneath.
Can't tell from the picture if that is an exterior wall or not, but that is something more than "sealant", and even if it were, some liquid of some sort has brought it to the surface.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I am not crazy about a dealer who says he has another deposit already on a trailer he's showing you. That sounds like a line to me. Did you put a deposit on it already? If so, why did he take another deposit on it? If not, why didn't he just sell it to the other folks and is trying to sell it to you?

It looks like a water stain from a leak to me. I don't buy the line about staining either.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi jez'

WHAT MODEL/size trailer?

the hazard ORANGE suggests CCD/international circa 05...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
...What would be the fix?
depends on WHAT it is.

the armstrong vinyl is easy to peel back, since it is NOT glued down.

remove that trim piece along the wall and pull about 10 staples into the subfloor...

then PEEL it back and inspect the subfloor.

it also appears from CLOSEUP views of that pic...

there is BLACK STUFF GROWING in the trim, screws and LOWER wall skin.

has THIS TRAILER been DUNKED in water, is this a fluuuuuud unit?

IF the edge sealant a/s used on the subs BLEEDS...

there are 1000s of trailers with CARPET that should have issues already.

and THAT isn't the case.

YES the vinyl may have picked up STAINING of some sort on the underside...

like black water, black mold, bilge juice, or someone blowin' SMOKE up your orifice ...

so the BEST FIX might be to find ANOTHER TRAYLA and DEALER...

cheers
2air'

here is a PICTURE of the typical subfloor sealant used by a/s...

and the TRUE origins of this magic goooo

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...oor-39005.html

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Thank you 2Air, Steph and Boss,
Its a 2005 22', it was beautiful, bathroom never used, beds still had plastic on them, we were sitting signing the papers, and I got up, I wanted to push that spot down and sure enough it felt soft the 2nd time I pushed on it, I went and got Scottie to come back and look at it again. The dealer mentioned we would be the 4th owners yet I only saw one other name on the title. It was hard to talk Scottie out of it, we both have been looking for so long and were so ready to buy. The other buyers came just as we made the final decision to walk, they came in and they looked ready to put the buck down. If he would have gone down in price I could have torn it apart, peeled off the vinyl, cut out the rot, relayed the vinyl and caulked the hell out of it but it would bother me everytime it rained, Id think about how much worse it was getting. Or if I cauled or siliconed the right spot, I could tell that there was just more to the story, had to been.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
_

. , .
ok, jez...

the MAIN problem with 22s from THAT era is...

the subFLOOR is osb, not plywood.

so ONCE it is wet (and they ALL get wet)

it gets SOFT fast.

and since there is NO belly pan on these models water can penetrate UP into the subfloor easily.

i have NO TORCH to carry for 22s and this is NOT a commentary about the OWNERS...

but (2001-2006) 22s=problems.

with subfloors and FRAMES and tires/wheels and so on...

many threads on this unit and issues

here's ONE to start your learning...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...rse-39275.html

and it MAY have had 4 owners...

there are REASONS why this model is so commonly 4sale and changes hands regularly...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
So what is the answer without buying a $52000 2010? Vintage? Dont get me wrong we are handy, its just a constant leak and rotted floors on our 1st purchase kinda squashes the excitement for me (us).
Old 11-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
So what is the answer without buying a $52000 2010? Vintage?...
well jez'...

THAT is an entirely different topic and covered in 100s of threads

and with LOTS of good solutions.

moisture is a REAL issue for EVERY LIVING 'stream owner.

they ALL get wet on the inside.

just SLEEPING in a unit leaves ~1 quart of water INSIDE (on the walls/windows, in cracks/gaps and under cushions) every NIGHT.

rain, spills, showers, mud wrestling, party games, windows, pipes/drains and so on...

so FINDing a unit without OBVIOUS or HIDDEN water damage takes skill, lots of practice and AWARENESS of the issues.

or just plain LUCK.

then PROTECTING/preventing future water intrusion...

while learning to deal with normal moisture INSIDE,

are some of the many REWARDS of ownership.

cheers
2air'

Old 11-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
..., mud wrestling, party games, ..and so on...
Shhh, keep talking and everyone will be fighting to come to the NW forum rallies

I wish there was an easy answer. Everyone has some leak issues. I have them on my vintage, and we just deal with it. But if I was shelling out the dough for a new/newer unit, I would expect it to be well sealed.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Looked at this 2005 today, had this stain on the floor in the rear near where the desk chair goes. The dealer said it was the sealant that Airstream seals the underlayment with, penetrating upward. He said he bleached it before we got there and it would not change in appearance. Upon closer examination the floor seemed to be softer there. Could it be floor rot or rotted plywood underneath? He was not too crazy about taking any less for her since he had another party also put a deposit on her.

What would be the fix?
The fix you ask?

Find another dealer that's a straight shooter, not one that has a warped rifle barrel.

Stains like that are caused by water leaks, no question.

Buying something from a dealer that offers less than honest answers, is not a good way to start Airstreaming.

We all know that things can and do happen, but unless you want to buy a junker fixer upper, your best bet, is to find a coach that at least does not have any signs of water damage internally.

Plus, if the dealer has a deposit on that coach, why in the world would he still be showing it to others????

I would strongly feel, that if he did have a deposit on it, it would be from bird droppings, not money.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
So what is the answer without buying a $52000 2010? Vintage? Dont get me wrong we are handy...
i had jokingly intended a reply like 'buy 1 that's lived in az 4ever...

and there are LOTS of options between nearly new and really old.

90s units are a great starting place.

many newer features, FEW old problems and nicely priced.

for example the unit in THIS thread could be a good opportunity...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tow-58524.html

i know NOTHING about the particulars, but IF it's lived in the SW, water damage should NOT be an issue.
_________

noobs r often dazzled by the sizzle and glitz of the ccd styled units.

but a 90s excella might have MUCH better bones and skin and structure.

such that tweaking the interior (easier than doing floors/shell/frame) to personal tastes becomes a FUN series of modifications.

a 90s 25 is ~ the same size as a newer 22/23, similar weight, but MUCH less $$$.

U should contact the wally and get the particulars since he's NOT taking the bait.

cheers
2air'

Old 11-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
So what is the answer without buying a $52000 2010? Vintage? Dont get me wrong we are handy, its just a constant leak and rotted floors on our 1st purchase kinda squashes the excitement for me (us).
When you buy a new Airstream, they don't give you one for free. You know, spare parts, etc.

Shop, shop and more shop. And when you get tired of that, guess what? Shop some more.

When you spot what you think is a winner, take pictures etc, post them with the info, and get feedback from those that have been there and done that.

If not, you could be treading on thin ice, and that's not a good idea in Arizona.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote