Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Westlake Village , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
Hi Noetic...

This is what scared me away from purchasing a new Airstream:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

I was flabbergasted at what I read and saw...and checking my local Airstream dealer revealed that EVERY Airstream on the lot had the corrosion in several places.

Whether or not Bates actually had the 75th we emailed about didn't really matter regarding corrosion...fact was, the salesman was aware of it and blamed it on not waxing the units. He sent me several pictures of different trailers' taillights, hinges, handles, and aluminum panel seams. Not a pretty sight...I think when you spend $50-60k, the thing should at LEAST look NEW before you actually buy it.

Regarding craftsmanship...this forum is literally full of threads regarding what people have found regarding their trailers. When I went to my local dealer this past Monday, it was the little things...rust deposits in the rear bumper storage area, rusty screws, holes punched with no rivets in them, dings in the body around the rivets, sealant around windows cracking, chrome rings around taillights and clearance lights rotted and pitted, rust on the hitch, gaps between the cabinets and the walls, the plywood-look veneer (why would you want to make fake wood look like plywood of all things?) on the edges of the counters coming off...just things like that I don't expect for half the cost of a house.

You'll find out a LOT on the thread link above. It was enough to make me change my mind and say, "No thanks." Especially when you get to the later entries where Airstream is refusing ANY warranty work if they blame oxidation...

Again, just be warned.
as you can tell, I'm new to the AS product and appreciate your advice.....
noetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Interesting about the 75th that Bates offered to you, then didn't. Notice that it was listed as an '06. Well, all 75 of the 75th anniversary Bambis that were produced were '07s!!! In fact, I was offered this very trailer when they got it on the lot a couple of years ago.

They told me at that time that it was the prototype that David Winnick made as the model for the anniversary models and that if I wanted it, they would take my new '06 19CCD in trade at what I paid for it, along with another $25K. That was almost like buying the trailer twice......for just about the same trailer!!!!!

Now that you have experienced the ' Bates runaround ' first hand, I would deal with some of the other reputable dealers , like Gene at Airstream of Arkansas or Colonial Airstream.

Both have great reputations on these boards, and I think that Gene will find you what you are looking for......if it exists!

Happy hunting!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Interesting about the 75th that Bates offered to you, then didn't. Notice that it was listed as an '06. Well, all 75 of the 75th anniversary Bambis that were produced were '07s!!! In fact, I was offered this very trailer when they got it on the lot a couple of years ago.

They told me at that time that it was the prototype that David Winnick made as the model for the anniversary models and that if I wanted it, they would take my new '06 19CCD in trade at what I paid for it, along with another $25K. That was almost like buying the trailer twice......for just about the same trailer!!!!!

Now that you have experienced the ' Bates runaround ' first hand, I would deal with some of the other reputable dealers , like Gene at Airstream of Arkansas or Colonial Airstream.

Both have great reputations on these boards, and I think that Gene will find you what you are looking for......if it exists!

Happy hunting!
very interesting.....Bates told me about the "prototype" unit today......that it had no number, hence the "prototype" status......that it would be at full MSLP......

thx for your info!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Sorry to say that Bates is not the only one with questionable practices. I have related this before in a different thread, but it still sticks in my craw...so here goes...bear with me.

I won't name names but I won't have to because there's only one AS dealer in the Phx metro area (who also sells SOBs)...and as it happens that it was over a 75th Anniversary Special Edition that they had on their lot. We looked at it, liked it a lot, then came back down to Tucson, having not committed to anything.

The next day the sales person called us and made us and offer to trade in our small motor home, plus a $ amount...and we could take the 75th home. We hung up telling him we'll look the numbers over and get back to him. We called back in a bit after we discussed it and made the decision to go for it... we said "yes" and gave them a credit card number over the phone as earnest money and said we'd be up the next weekend to bring them the motor home and take possession of the 75th.

We were so excited! It didn't last long. We were still high from having committed to it when the phone rang, not 20 minutes later...it was the sales guy again...he said he'd need another $10,000 from us to make the deal work. Huh? Now we were in shock. We said, "No," and told him to destroy our credit card info. We had never heard of such a thing. After all, he had initiated the deal! We were very very angry, as you might imagine...talk about taking the wind out of our sails.

This guy called us every day for the next week asking, "What can I do to make this work?" We kept telling him that he could stick to his original deal (!) and that was all it would take. He just didn't get it. He thought he'd wear us down by repeating the question, I guess.

We went to Oasis here in Tucson, where we had seen a 2006 19' Bambi Safari SE LS with lots of extra stuff on it ...it was beautiful and we soon signed the dotted line. In retrospect it's is a much better unit for our needs (and a far better price)...

You can't imagine how much pleasure it gave me to tell the Phx sales guy that we'd bought elsewhere the next day when he called, and he could stop calling us now. There was a long silence on the other end of the line. I think it finally dawned on him that he had blown it terribly. We will never go back there and we caution others who are dealing with this particular dealer to be very very careful.

OK I'll step down from my soap box now. I feel better now...yup.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Sorry to say that Bates is not the only one with questionable practices. I have related this before in a different thread, but it still sticks in my craw...so here goes...bear with me.

I won't name names but I won't have to because there's only one AS dealer in the Phx metro area (who also sells SOBs)...and as it happens that it was over a 75th Anniversary Special Edition that they had on their lot. We looked at it, liked it a lot, then came back down to Tucson, having not committed to anything.

The next day the sales person called us and made us and offer to trade in our small motor home, plus a $ amount...and we could take the 75th home. We hung up telling him we'll look the numbers over and get back to him. We called back in a bit after we discussed it and made the decision to go for it... we said "yes" and gave them a credit card number over the phone as earnest money and said we'd be up the next weekend to bring them the motor home and take possession of the 75th.

We were so excited! It didn't last long. We were still high from having committed to it when the phone rang, not 20 minutes later...it was the sales guy again...he said he'd need another $10,000 from us to make the deal work. Huh? Now we were in shock. We said, "No," and told him to destroy our credit card info. We had never heard of such a thing. After all, he had initiated the deal! We were very very angry, as you might imagine...talk about taking the wind out of our sails.

This guy called us every day for the next week asking, "What can I do to make this work?" We kept telling him that he could stick to his original deal (!) and that was all it would take. He just didn't get it. He thought he'd wear us down by repeating the question, I guess.

We went to Oasis here in Tucson, where we had seen a 2006 19' Bambi Safari SE LS with lots of extra stuff on it ...it was beautiful and we soon signed the dotted line. In retrospect it's is a much better unit for our needs (and a far better price)...

You can't imagine how much pleasure it gave me to tell the Phx sales guy that we'd bought elsewhere the next day when he called, and he could stop calling us now. There was a long silence on the other end of the line. I think it finally dawned on him that he had blown it terribly. We will never go back there and we caution others who are dealing with this particular dealer to be very very careful.

OK I'll step down from my soap box now. I feel better now...yup.
thx, your "soap box" presentation has not fallen on deaf ears.........
Old 11-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
There is one in florida it is the forerunner to that great one. DAvid Winnick design. 60,000 is the least I have seen it for. Good luck.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Don't buy this one....it's stolen.

I am still keeping an eye out for this one....hope you are too. Its the only one with these dual windows.
Attached Images

Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Massachusetts
Have you contacted David Winnick? He'll make you a cutom Airstream that's identical to the 75th model. It's a beautiful design - but I need it in a larger version.
Dismayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
BTW, IIRC, the limited run was increased from 75 to 100. That is still pretty rare, but more units that the 30' Bunk model that I own and they are coming up for sale from time to time, too. Not as desirable, but they do come up.

Also, they are still putting the 75th anniversary badge on at least 2007 and maybe 2008 models. I saw a 2007 two weeks ago that had the badge mounted on the counter next to the sink just inside the door. It was 27' Safari FB. I guess Airstream got a bulk discount on the badges a didn't want to waste any.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
DAvid will make it for 60,000, WE are selling a very nice 18 feet caravel everything works. Look in the classifieds. Ours is very nice and you will save save save $$$$. best, gail
we fixed her up and then hubby bought a 56 with out the shower that I love, and without tanks. Oh well keep him happy.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Massachusetts
My bad. It's 'Winick' with one 'n'.
Dismayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #32

Bradenton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetic View Post
looking f/ new or used, does anybody know of one?
I have a brand new never used quicksilver addition bambi
Brokerbebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Noetic....you HAVE been searching for a long time, haven't you!? I'm happy to have been of assistance in your search! I'm missing my Winick Bambi that you drove off with today, but I see you've met a few of my friends during your search....Lewster, Greg & Terry! You really do have to join us for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, October 5-9!

Best wishes for years of fun in Winie!

- Lynda & Jim
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #34

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal
Noetic....you HAVE been searching for a long time, haven't you!? I'm happy to have been of assistance in your search! I'm missing my Winick Bambi that you drove off with today, but I see you've met a few of my friends during your search....Lewster, Greg & Terry! You really do have to join us for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, October 5-9!

Best wishes for years of fun in Winie!

- Lynda & Jim
That one nice trailer! Thats what got me hooked on AS! I missed out on one over two years ago but love our 06 Bambi CCD. Congrats Noetic and it sounds like you found her a good home.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote