Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Question Advice wanted .. Motorhome, yes/no??

I suspect that many of you have considered buying a used Motorhome and that's what I have been doing for the past 6 months. The prices are VERY attractive right now. But, so far, I haven't been able to convince myself to take the plunge. I am now a FT RVer for 4 years, single and I have mostly enjoyed living and traveling in my 76 31ft Sovereign. I usually spend the summers somewhere up north or out west and the winters somewhere down south. I usually stay in one spot for 4-6 months and then move on. I envision that the advantages that a Motorhome, with a slide, would give me is a lot more living space, more comfort when on the road and easier set-up at my destination and easier to get ready when its time to move on. The main thing that STOPS me is the expense! Not just the initial purchase....but the day to day operating expenses, insurance, tires, and routine maintenance, etc.

I suspect that many of you have been through the same thought process and I would very much like to hear what you have concluded and why. Bill
Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
At least 90 percent of the readership here is by trailer owners, being a MH owner that has never trailered, and considering you are full timing I would say stick with the trailer. By your post you say MH's prices are attractive, I'm guessing you are considering used. Being full time you would have to live around repairs to chassis, while trailers have need of repairs they are minor compared to MH. When your tow vehicle needs an oil change, no big deal, PU and SUV's can be serviced everywhere, only truck places or very few auto places can do MH's. I'm sure those that are in MH's and don't do the work themselves will agree, the tow vehicle is much easier to service.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
We've had both MH and trailers. In my opinion, nothing can beat traveling in a MH. They are much more convenient while on the road than a trailer. However, when you have problems they are much more difficult. If you have to have it repaired, you're stuck without your living accomodations, or you are stuck living in the parking lot of the garage while waiting on your turn for repairs. In the trailer, you can stay in the RV park and if necessary rent a car until the tow vehicle gets fixed. MHs are much more expensive, not just to purchase, but the maintenance is sky high. I would recommend you stay with a trailer.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Full Time

The fact you are fulltiming restricts your ability to do your own repairs on an older unit, as the storage of parts and tools are restricted.
If you are going to buy new, go for it, as the newer units can't be serviced in your own yard anyway. Buy the extended warranty and all the road insurance from Sam and etc. and hit the road and enjoy.
The comfort, ride, view, and sheer joy of being on the road in a quality MH can not be compared with anything else.
Unfortunately, AS does not make a large motorhome that is suitable to live in fulltime anymore.
So if you want to stay with AS you will probably have to stay with the tin trailer.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis View Post
I suspect that many of you have considered buying a used Motorhome and that's what I have been doing for the past 6 months. The prices are VERY attractive right now. But, so far, I haven't been able to convince myself to take the plunge. I am now a FT RVer for 4 years, single and I have mostly enjoyed living and traveling in my 76 31ft Sovereign. I usually spend the summers somewhere up north or out west and the winters somewhere down south. I usually stay in one spot for 4-6 months and then move on. I envision that the advantages that a Motorhome, with a slide, would give me is a lot more living space, more comfort when on the road and easier set-up at my destination and easier to get ready when its time to move on. The main thing that STOPS me is the expense! Not just the initial purchase....but the day to day operating expenses, insurance, tires, and routine maintenance, etc.

I suspect that many of you have been through the same thought process and I would very much like to hear what you have concluded and why. Bill
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I can only address this from a theoretical point of view, since I have neither at the moment. I thought about it a great deal before I decided to start looking for a travel trailer instead of a motor home.

The way you described your travel, you spend a lot of time in each location. That means you'd need to be towing another vehicle in your MoHo, so you'd still have all of the issues inherent to towing, and maybe some special inconveniences if you tow on a dolly (difficult/impossible to back up.) You'd need to 2 sets of motor vehicle registrations and insurance, etc.

Also, I came to the same conclusion that previous commenters have... if you have a mechanical problem on a trip, you can more comfortably stay in your trailer at an RV park while the TV is being repaired.

Also, and this may be a bigger issue for full-timers, once you get past the cost of entry, it's much cheaper and easier to upgrade your TV when you've racked up a lot of miles and/or technology has introduced some new features, better fuel economy, etc. since you don't have to repurchase the trailer to get a new power unit (TV) like you probably would in a MoHo.

Finally, and this may not apply in your case but it's a nice rationalization for me, a truck can be a useful thing to have in many cases, so "needing" a TV is a good excuse for adding a truck to my garage.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
More thoughts

As has been pointed out, I think I would be more inclined to be on the road more often, enjoying the looking and the seeing, if I had a MH.......it's not as much hassle traveling as towing a 31ft trailer. Yes, I would have a small Toad.....but that's not the same as towing a 31ft TT. Clearly, the operating cost (maintenance) would be more expensive for the MH, ie. an oil change on a diesel pusher is over a $100 compared to $35 for my GMC Suburban. It's about a "push" on fuel costs....diesel more expensive but a bit better milage than my 10 mph gas GMC, towing. And.....then there is the insurance costs. All-in-all, I know it would be somewhat more expensive.......so, I'm just pondering if it would be worth it to me! I'm looking to hear any possibe "benefits"....or "disadvantages" that I have not yet considered. Thank you, keep em coming.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have had both and prefer the TT. Just too much of a hassle wasting time going round and round trying to find a parking space when we were on the road without a toad. When we got a toad the added cost wasn't worth the convenience. Overall cost was such that once parked we said to ourselves it be cheaper to get a motel room.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
We have had our MH for 3 1/2 years now and just love it. Yes, it is definitely more expensive, by far.

When we bought ours, it was used, but still had a good portion of it's warranty and believe me, that was worth it's weight in gold. Just like the AS TT's, the AS MH's have their issues also. Nothing is perfect.

For us, it was a matter of changing gears and moving on to a different form of camping and travelling. We pull a toad and enjoy the freedom that gives us when parked at a campground. Also, when travelling, we do move around inside the MH at times to use the restroom or make a sandwich.

I tell my friends that our second home is a motorhome. Some people have multiple homes, and multiple mortgages, etc. but not us. We are looking forward to the day when we can travel cross country and take in the sites using our home on wheels.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I've had two motorhomes but have done most of my travel and camping with a trailer. I notice that as people get older they have a tendency to go to a motor home and tow a vehicle. I towed a motorcycle in an enclosed trailer but my reason for travel was to ride the motorcycle.

I'd buy another motorhome for, if nothing else, the feeling of extreme happiness the day I sell it. The last motorhome I had . . . I was saved by a gift direct from heaven in the form of a hail storm followed by an insurance check.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
As a solo single I have to say I love my MH! I spent 10 yrs in a class C and now am in an A. Any repairs I have had have been for things that would have also happened in a TT ie water tank leaking so I feel the price would have been the same. If I have had to stay by a repair shop it's been in shops that have had hook up etc which are free and I have enjoyed it. In town where I could walk around, and networking with other RVers in the shop or shop employees where I have learned a lot so I feel it is an educational seminar. I have found regular auto shops can change my oil -I have gas- including jiffy lubes if you trust them.As a woman I have the extra reason of feeling safer where I don't have to leave the vehicle to camp. It's all in your comfort zone.
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote