Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
New Trailer Insurance Help!

I am picking up a 1965 Sovereign from Indio this weekend. It will be the first time pulling it. My question, is the insurance on my tow vehicle enough til I get it home or do I need a policy in force to cover the rig? I have gotten preliminary quotes from Formost. Any advice would be great.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
The insurance on your TV should cover you for any liabilty issues you may have (and let's hope you have none). If you should damage the trailer, that's another story...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Insure it! I did mine over the phone with my agent and gave them the vin and emailed pictures. Better safe than sorry.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Thanks guys I will call the insurance guy when I get back from the gym.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
I just insured my 72 Argosy with Progressive. Their rates are so good, I'm going to drop the National Interstate policy I have on the Base Camp and insure that with them as well.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I picked up an "agreed upon value" policy with Progressive... did everything via the Internet.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
We just moved to Progressive because our AAA agent suggested it. She said they are well know for their "agreed upon value" policies. We changed from Allstate that is not "agree upon value".

Enjoy the trailer!
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I checked out Progressive looked good. Are all the policy's agreed value or must you specify?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I'm in the same boat, I'm trying to get insurnace on my AS for an agreed upon value. I just got off the phone with Progressive. They are no longer writing agreed upon policies for trailers older than 4 years old. After the trailer is 4 years old, then they go off of the book value.

I don't think that the information that I was given sounded quite right, but the girl I talked to did consult with her supervisor while I was on the call, and change some of her information (originally she told me that after a trailer is 4 years old it would need an appraisal to qualify for an agreed upon policy). The supervisor was the one who corrected her and said that they no longer write agreed upon policies for RVs over 4 years old. None of it seemed to make a lot of sense to be quite honest.

I specifically made the comment that existing AS customers will stay with them, but that I guess they will not be getting any new AS customers with this policy change, and she said these changes will also effect existing customer's policies. I hope that is not the case for everyone happy with Progressive, but if are with them it may be worth a phone call to make sure these changes don't or won't effect you.

I have a local insurance company investigating Hagerty Insurance for me. While I was on the phone with Progressive, they actually mentioned/recommended Hagerty as well. Anyone have experience with Hagerty Insurance? Supposably they write a lot of classic car types of policies.

Thanks,
Eric
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Call AAA they can help you!
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson77 View Post
I'm in the same boat, I'm trying to get insurnace on my AS for an agreed upon value. I just got off the phone with Progressive. They are no longer writing agreed upon policies for trailers older than 4 years old. After the trailer is 4 years old, then they go off of the book value.

I don't think that the information that I was given sounded quite right, but the girl I talked to did consult with her supervisor while I was on the call, and change some of her information (originally she told me that after a trailer is 4 years old it would need an appraisal to qualify for an agreed upon policy). The supervisor was the one who corrected her and said that they no longer write agreed upon policies for RVs over 4 years old. None of it seemed to make a lot of sense to be quite honest.

I specifically made the comment that existing AS customers will stay with them, but that I guess they will not be getting any new AS customers with this policy change, and she said these changes will also effect existing customer's policies. I hope that is not the case for everyone happy with Progressive, but if are with them it may be worth a phone call to make sure these changes don't or won't effect you.

I have a local insurance company investigating Hagerty Insurance for me. While I was on the phone with Progressive, they actually mentioned/recommended Hagerty as well. Anyone have experience with Hagerty Insurance? Supposably they write a lot of classic car types of policies.

Thanks,
Eric
That's odd... I got my policy just this morning as an "agreed upon value" for a 38 year old trailer. Maybe it was because I didn't blow the value out of proportion - I put down 15K, which is what I figured we have in it in total. I did it on the web - no problem. I've never seen a "blue book" for RV values.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I also got a quote from Formost Insurance (part of Farmers) has anyone delt with them?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
That's odd... I got my policy just this morning as an "agreed upon value" for a 38 year old trailer. Maybe it was because I didn't blow the value out of proportion.
Bob- I was asking for at least 10-12K for our '75 Tradewind that I've put 3-4K into (axles, tires, PEX, HWH, etc.) since we bought it last August, it has also been garage kept for 35 years and is in incredible condition. So no I was not blowing the value out of proportion. I could have gotten online and tried to get a quote, but I didn't trust doing that since I've been reading about Progressive recently changing their policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
I've never seen a "blue book" for RV values.
NADA posts RV values for 35 years, mine is worth $1,400! Next year it won't even be listed.

Here is the link if you're interested...
RV Travel Trailers Fifth Wheels | "A" prices, specs and options at NADAguides.com

Thanks,
Eric
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson77 View Post
Bob- I was asking for at least 10-12K for our '75 Tradewind that I've put 3-4K into (axles, tires, PEX, HWH, etc.) since we bought it last August, it has also been garage kept for 35 years and is in incredible condition. So no I was not blowing the value out of proportion. I could have gotten online and tried to get a quote, but I didn't trust doing that since I've been reading about Progressive recently changing their policies.

NADA posts RV values for 35 years, mine is worth $1,400! Next year it won't even be listed.

Here is the link if you're interested...
RV Travel Trailers Fifth Wheels | "A" prices, specs and options at NADAguides.com

Thanks,
Eric
Eric, please don't take my comment the wrong way, I didn't mean to imply you inflated the value of your rig. All I meant was that I didn't list an outrageous value (i.e. $50K for a 38 year old Argosy).

Thanks though, for the link to the NADA guide. I didn't think they had them for trailers.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
We purchased from Progressive but the issue noted above was not applicable to us or at the time we purchased. We had a host of detailed questions and Progressive was very helpful and when we were able to get bumped up a couple of times the information and knowledge of RVs and the industry was quite impressive. I had detailed discussions with them about issues that arise with weight ratings, exceeding those ratings, etc. You could check others. I believe Good Sams also has an insurance arm.

Importantly, you should have an excess personal liability policy, often referred to as an "umbrella" policy. This provides liabilty protection over and above the liability coverage provided on your home and auto. You should confirm whether this can extend to your RV and whether you have to have the RV specifically listed on the policy for coverage. This could be really important if there is ever a suit and the claim exceeds what your maximum coverage is. If it does, and you don't have sufficiently liability coverage you could put your house, savings, etc. at risk.

If you operate a business in/out of your RV you might need a rider on the above policy or even separate coverage for business use.

If you can find a knowledgeable insurance agent they can help you navigate through all of this.

Finaly tip or suggestion. When you get everything done try to scan the policies so you can take them with you on your laptop or a cheap memory stick so that you'll have the info available if you do have a problem.

Good luck.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
We had a claim against Foremost and they were very fair.

When our 1969 Overlander was totaled we were hit by someone with Foremost.....we had an appraisal by Jim Polk (here on the forums as SilverPal2) and we received a very fair offer from Foremost......a division of Farmers....the claim was put in in January and they weren't too busy with RV claims.....p

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
I also got a quote from Formost Insurance (part of Farmers) has anyone delt with them?
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Thanks though, for the link to the NADA guide. I didn't think they had them for trailers.

Dittos ! I learn something everyday.
Snedwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I can speak from personal experience that Progressive has recently (as in April of this year) stopped underwriting Agreed Value Policies in certain states (Oklahoma being one of those states). We ended up getting ours through State Farm based on the NADA appraisal value attached to our normal compliment of policies (home, auto, life, etc).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
We have our oldie 56 Caravanner insured by USAA for the amount we paid for her. They are great and offer great prices on insurance for any former military personnel no matter how many years of service. We have had them for almost 40 years.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I too am with USAA for the majority of our stuff. That said, they referred me to Progressive for our trailer policy. USAA would cover us under an auto policy, but that doesn't protect us while camping should someone fall, or bonk their head getting out of the trailer etc. the auto part is just for when the trailer is hooked to the TV. Progressive was reasonable in cost, and we worked out an agreed upon value as the NADA guide is almost a third of what it would cost us to replace the trailer with like model and year. (it is a 1997 Excella 34') We worked out the value over the internet via email with Progressive.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote