Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
We purchased from Progressive but the issue noted above was not applicable to us or at the time we purchased. We had a host of detailed questions and Progressive was very helpful and when we were able to get bumped up a couple of times the information and knowledge of RVs and the industry was quite impressive. I had detailed discussions with them about issues that arise with weight ratings, exceeding those ratings, etc. You could check others. I believe Good Sams also has an insurance arm.

Importantly, you should have an excess personal liability policy, often referred to as an "umbrella" policy. This provides liabilty protection over and above the liability coverage provided on your home and auto. You should confirm whether this can extend to your RV and whether you have to have the RV specifically listed on the policy for coverage. This could be really important if there is ever a suit and the claim exceeds what your maximum coverage is. If it does, and you don't have sufficiently liability coverage you could put your house, savings, etc. at risk.

If you operate a business in/out of your RV you might need a rider on the above policy or even separate coverage for business use.

If you can find a knowledgeable insurance agent they can help you navigate through all of this.

Finaly tip or suggestion. When you get everything done try to scan the policies so you can take them with you on your laptop or a cheap memory stick so that you'll have the info available if you do have a problem.

Good luck.

Patti and Marty

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Venice , California
We had a claim against Foremost and they were very fair.

When our 1969 Overlander was totaled we were hit by someone with Foremost.....we had an appraisal by Jim Polk (here on the forums as SilverPal2) and we received a very fair offer from Foremost......a division of Farmers....the claim was put in in January and they weren't too busy with RV claims.....p

Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
I also got a quote from Formost Insurance (part of Farmers) has anyone delt with them?

Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
Bandit our Boxer
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Thanks though, for the link to the NADA guide. I didn't think they had them for trailers.

Dittos ! I learn something everyday.
Snedwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I can speak from personal experience that Progressive has recently (as in April of this year) stopped underwriting Agreed Value Policies in certain states (Oklahoma being one of those states). We ended up getting ours through State Farm based on the NADA appraisal value attached to our normal compliment of policies (home, auto, life, etc).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream):

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012:
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Caravanner
Malibu , California
We have our oldie 56 Caravanner insured by USAA for the amount we paid for her. They are great and offer great prices on insurance for any former military personnel no matter how many years of service. We have had them for almost 40 years.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I too am with USAA for the majority of our stuff. That said, they referred me to Progressive for our trailer policy. USAA would cover us under an auto policy, but that doesn't protect us while camping should someone fall, or bonk their head getting out of the trailer etc. the auto part is just for when the trailer is hooked to the TV. Progressive was reasonable in cost, and we worked out an agreed upon value as the NADA guide is almost a third of what it would cost us to replace the trailer with like model and year. (it is a 1997 Excella 34') We worked out the value over the internet via email with Progressive.

Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote