Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Question Trailer prices and geography

I have read and observed that airstream prices tend to be higher in the West and Pacific northwest as compared to mid west and eastern states. What are the contributing factors?

Also, why are the smaller trailers holding there value? Is there a growing demand?

I have seen used 30fts sell for alot less than used 19-25ft trailers of the same vintage.
campcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Ditto. We looked long and hard for a 19 footer in the Northwest, driving as far as southern CA to shop. There just aren't that many out here!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
YUP

I looked high and low as well before giving up and buying new. IF one does come up and its a good unit it disapears quick.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

The price of anything is dependent entirely upon supply and demand.

There is relatively small supply of smaller coaches. I personally drove 1500 miles (each way) just to LOOK at our 25' Sovereign. From about 1970 (or probably a few years before) until the advent of the new International and Safari lines in the late 90's there were simply a much larger number of the 30' + units made than the smaller lengths.

Now, of course, there are a lot of people out there discovering Airstreams, finding a disappointingly large discrepancy between the price of a new one and the available funds, and searching out used models. Naturally, they want something they can tow easily, so the search for 25' and smaller Airstreams at affordable prices has become harder and harder.

Limited supply, lots of demand, higher prices result.

Now, why prices are so much higher in California particularly? That appears to result from particularly high demand, but it is not clear to me why this is so.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Production

From a materials and production standpoint, wouldn't A/S be inclined to crank out a proportionaly larger amount of small trailers right now to meet demand and cash in? Or is this allready happening?
Old 01-10-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Funny you say that. When we were at the factory last month, there were more 19' Bambis (both CCD and Safari versions) being built than any other model.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Good news

Good I hope I will be seeing more little silver bullits on the road and in the campground. Those huge motorhomes some people have are murder on the parking situations and backed over utility boxes.