Old 04-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Sounds to me that it was a fair price for the condition it was in otherwise it would have a price tag in the $7,000 and up price range.
I have a 85 that went through Hurracane Ike that has since developed problems from trapped moisture and being is a salt enviroment with high humidity. I wouldn't sell it for $10,000 because I know what I have I just needed time to get some things done to her. After 25 years she deserves a good overhaul. New Fabrics, counter tops, sinks, flooring, and new HDTV's, still debating on a new refrigerator.

Sometimes you can find good deals, so you need to keep looking and not be discouraged or expect too much until you find that deal. I bought a 9 month old 79 Airstream Excella 500 and 1980 3/4 ton suburban with under 9,000 miles for the blue book base price of the trailer alone.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris
$3,000 added over time for basic improvements

Phrunes that budget will be eaten up in appliances alone. Water heater $500, furnace $800, stove $500, fridge $1500, A/C $800. Now think about axles $500 each with mods needed or $750 each for bolt ins, tires $125 each, battery $125, and most likely frame repairs will be needed on any 70's unit no matter where it is from. I would estimate at least $10k for a modest reno and $30k for a full blown all out restoration.
If your budget is only $6K then look for a newer unit and be prepared to spend a little more, at least $10K for a ready to go unit.
Holy smokes! I'm not looking to build a concourse model! I've already got a new AC unit here my Dad's a retired RV mechanic, the fridge can be rebuilt in Vallejo, CA for $350, heaters are not too technical for a heating and air guy like me, and a new stovetop if required is just a couple of valves, manifolds and a respray away. Pex and fittings are cheap with a contractors license and pulling new copper to replace the aluminum wire is likely a pain, but no mre than US$350 including a new charge wizard if I had to do it. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, or unrealistic...I'm just fortunate to have access to some resources locally that some folks don't. So, with that said...taking windows out and buck riveting them back into an otherwise clean body scares me to death, as do replacing body panels and frames (hence the western states, desert search). When I built my rock crawler, I was faced with the same challenges...I could blow tens of thousands on custom built axles, long travel bypass shocks, customized rock rails and a cage, and fiberglass body panels. Instead, I kept my goal of accessing some additional areas by moderately upgrading the base platform. I didn't spend more than my budget and I ended up with a very capable, nice looking rig and some great memories of places I'd never seen.

So, how involved would the windows as described in my original post have been? Assuming the frame was solid (I checked, and it was). Did I freak out uneccessarily on the windows? He wouldnt budge on the price below the $2,500.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
THERAPY will not help! I've been there.......we have had 6 Airstreams so far......have 3 now. Someday, I guess, we will have to sell our 62 Bambi......tears are about to flow just thinking about it.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #18
x

XXXX , XXXX
No drilling out rivets and rebucking is needed to remove the windows. I covered this back in post #14 in this thread and added a link to a thread on repairing the windows.

Replacing the A/C requires modifying the shell to accept a newer style unit. Basically the opening needs reinforcing to hold the new unit and some changes to use the drip pan from the old unit.
I still think the no title thing is a huge issue though.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Phrunes removing the entire window glass and frame from the sash assembly is actually very easy.
Disconnect the lift up arms from the window. Go outside and stand on a ladder and raise the window up about 120 degrees and the window will release from the sash. The window has a J shaped hinge attached to the top and a corresponding J shaped slot on the sash.
There are a couple of threads on disassembling the windows to remove and replace the factory window tinting.
Have a look at the window frame itself. If there are screws all around the glass frame then the window is very easy to take apart and repair. If not it requires drilling out the rivets holding the hinge to the frame and the rivets that hold the right and left half of the frame together. I'll look for the threads and post the links here for you.
Here is the link for the best thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html
Geez! Now that I know that, I shoulda brought it home. Crap! Ok, i'll rationalize it in my mind by reminding myself that it was advertised as a 27 footer (which is what I wanted) and it turned out to be a 31 Sovereign.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'd say if the windows are that easy to rehab, you might want to take another look at that trailer. Be sure to research axles before you do though - that's a big dollar item - about $4k of the $6k I spent on my trailer (and mine is single axle)! The rest will just nickle and dime you, but you can still use it while you're fixing it up. Sounds like if you don't have a problem with the title, that one might still be a possibility - but I still wouldn't hand over money without a title in hand.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
No drilling out rivets and rebucking is needed to remove the windows. I covered this back in post #14 in this thread and added a link to a thread on repairing the windows.

Replacing the A/C requires modifying the shell to accept a newer style unit. Basically the opening needs reinforcing to hold the new unit and some changes to use the drip pan from the old unit.
Yeah, the title had me nervous too. I made sure he had power of attorney and was prepared to have the bill of sale notarized. I planned to hold the plates hostage untill i received the pink. Goofy California does not require a title to register a trailer! I still wanted the pink though.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I replaced the air conditioner, all three roof vents, new sewer vent gaskets, new window and door gaskets, new clearance lights & tail light lenses, new 7-way fuse panel, new umbilical, new grease seals & new tires, welded frame, sectioned wood floor, new equalizer hitch, and rock guards.

I was well on the way to the three thousand $ over purchase price in mine before I got to the axles, or gas lines, or appliances, or floor covering, or cabinets, or counter tops, or plumbing, or beds, or sofas, or curtains. I expect to have 15k in this trailer using the existing frame, tanks, and axles when I have it in comfortable condition. Mine was complete but unmaintained condition when I bought it. Clear title with current license. The seller was using it the day I bought it. My current avatar is a picture of my trailer the day I brought it home.

I'm not too sure the 15k will get me two new awnings. I think add those to the 15k.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #23
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
You apply for a "salvage title". The lag, in most States, to be titled, is the coach must be inspected by DMV and deemed "roadworthy".