Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Question Decisions decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter1512 View Post
I tried to attach 4 photo's....what would you ESTIMATE it would be worth? I also am somewhat concerned about not being able to find it in NADA because there are NO safari's in 1985 and the ONLY 25' is a sovereign and when i searched on the internet for 1985 airstream safari i got zero results as if there is no such thing then one of the other posters mentioned that safari was last made in the 70's.
Looks like a nice one, how many are available, how soon do you want one, are you happy with paying the asking price, have the main appliances been recently replaced, fridge, hot water, furnace, a/c? Does the floor seem solid (use an ice pick as a probe, gently), tires less than 5 years and an ST tire not truck tires, brakes? It's really your call, I just bought a 93 Excella that needs some work but I'm tickled with it.

Good luck

Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Owner doesn't need to be "anal" for things to be in good shape.. Years from '85 to '94 are best of narrow bodies, and better built than Safari' of late 90's...

Our '88 Excella 25 was bought for $13K in '03, and after re-doing interior completely everything works well and it's worth at least $15K...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have a 25', 88 model Excella. The 25' trailers are in the Airstream sweet spot for us. Small enough to fit in most forest service campgrounds and yet large enough to live in 4 months at the time, which we have done. You can pull it with something in the 150 clas of trucks or suv's. I bought ours for less, but with the work we did on it we have a bit over 15000 in it. We did get it just before the economy went down, but I do not know how much that affects older airstream prices. The pricing information I see above looks very good. Do you plan to keep it a long time and use it. Maybe the price does not matter as much as the condition and if you really want an airstream.

I think a 29-32 trailer of this vintage would be worth less. The somewhat newer 34' trailers seem to do well in resale. But then they are well over a hundered new and few made.
NADA price is not worth much for buying a older Airstream. The value is in the condition. Airsteams are expensive to have worked on and are time consuming if you do it your self. If it checks out good I would say it is not a unreasonable buy.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Some good advice I received when I started to look for my Airstream was to see as many trailers as possible. Even if you have to see some that are in bad shape or way above your price range, they will give you a good idea of what things are worth.
There are many airstreams out there, and probably more will be on the market each day with the economy the way it is, so don't be in a hurry or jump at something without having something to compare it to.
If you go see a lot of them and get a good feel for them and the problems that crop up as people have mentioned in the posts above, you will know when the right one comes along and you won't think twice about it.
This site and several others, along with taking the drive time to see a bunch of trailers that were not right, allowed me to know how to spot the right trailer when it came along.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Some good advice I received when I started to look for my Airstream was to see as many trailers as possible. Even if you have to see some that are in bad shape or way above your price range, they will give you a good idea of what things are worth.
There are many airstreams out there, and probably more will be on the market each day with the economy the way it is, so don't be in a hurry or jump at something without having something to compare it to.
If you go see a lot of them and get a good feel for them and the problems that crop up as people have mentioned in the posts above, you will know when the right one comes along and you won't think twice about it.
This site and several others, along with taking the drive time to see a bunch of trailers that were not right, allowed me to know how to spot the right trailer when it came along.
VERY GOOD advice! paula
Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Learn to find hidden floor rot problems. Usually frame rot accompanies floor rot. I did not spend enough time learning what to look for. I think that you have to have the experience of rebuilding one of these things to know where all the problems are.

Perry
Old 12-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #21

1985 25' Sovereign
Peoria , Illinois
I FINALLY got to talk to the person that did the "refurb" and in my opinion it is NOT a refurb at all and would be more of an "update" to me. The guy that did the update said that he bought the camper 5 years ago for himself and he took off the clear coat, polished the oxidation areas and repolished & clear coated the outside, new refrigerator that is smaller that the original refrigerator because he added a small microwave above the fridge, new brakes, new tires & wheels, new curtains, re-covered the couch, added floating laminate floor and he got a free used awning from another airstream that he added. The weirdest thing he did was he wanted to make people think he had a new trailer so he added the decals from a safari even though it is a sovereign just so people would think he had a new trailer! he said the air conditioner is likely 10-15 years old and he didn't replace any tanks or pipes or water heater or anything else. i'm thinking of offering $10,000 for it because now that i have done all the homework i do not think it's worth 15,000 and especially since i may be looking at replacing several things in the near future......any thoughts from anyone on a good offer to make or any other input you have is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I really concur with previous posts about finding an inspector on this forum to help you avoid possible disappointments with this trailer.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
I really concur with previous posts about finding an inspector on this forum to help you avoid possible disappointments with this trailer.
I agree. I wouldn't sink half that much into it without seeing it myself or at least having a good third party look it over. The fact that he added newer decals sounds strange...could be a honest mistake, but it would be worth knowing the details... Usually airstream owners know what they have and would know better then to try and sell it as something else to anyone who knows about airstreams... granted, we don't know as much as you do about your deal, but from the information provided it seems that something isn't adding up IMO. In looking at and buying these things I think you always have to be willing to walk away from it if you don't feel 100% comfortable..
Old 12-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Condoluminum

I believe the sovereigns were not as well equipped as the Excellas, but I could be wrong.

Richter1512

Look at lots of trailers. You need to get a feel for what is available and what you can get for your money. It is more important to buy the right trailer for you than how much you paid for it. Just because you get a bargain, if it is not the right trailer for you, you will not be happy.

Dan
Old 12-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
It's not close to the OP, but there's an '84 Sovereign 25 with a nice-looking exterior for an ask of $9200 here in our forum classifieds. There are no interior pics on the listing.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Have you actually looked at the trailer? The reason I ask is there has been an 85 25 footer for sale on different boards and Craigslist that is a scam. It's usually from the east coast and has a phone number so you can talk to a real person. I have seen the same one (I know it's the same one by the pictures) for sale by 3 different people in the past 8 months. When I replied that it was a scam I got spammed with lots of crap from the person. So.... be careful.

Tags
1985 safari 25'