Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #21

1985 25' Sovereign
Peoria , Illinois
I FINALLY got to talk to the person that did the "refurb" and in my opinion it is NOT a refurb at all and would be more of an "update" to me. The guy that did the update said that he bought the camper 5 years ago for himself and he took off the clear coat, polished the oxidation areas and repolished & clear coated the outside, new refrigerator that is smaller that the original refrigerator because he added a small microwave above the fridge, new brakes, new tires & wheels, new curtains, re-covered the couch, added floating laminate floor and he got a free used awning from another airstream that he added. The weirdest thing he did was he wanted to make people think he had a new trailer so he added the decals from a safari even though it is a sovereign just so people would think he had a new trailer! he said the air conditioner is likely 10-15 years old and he didn't replace any tanks or pipes or water heater or anything else. i'm thinking of offering $10,000 for it because now that i have done all the homework i do not think it's worth 15,000 and especially since i may be looking at replacing several things in the near future......any thoughts from anyone on a good offer to make or any other input you have is greatly appreciated.
richter1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I really concur with previous posts about finding an inspector on this forum to help you avoid possible disappointments with this trailer.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
I really concur with previous posts about finding an inspector on this forum to help you avoid possible disappointments with this trailer.
I agree. I wouldn't sink half that much into it without seeing it myself or at least having a good third party look it over. The fact that he added newer decals sounds strange...could be a honest mistake, but it would be worth knowing the details... Usually airstream owners know what they have and would know better then to try and sell it as something else to anyone who knows about airstreams... granted, we don't know as much as you do about your deal, but from the information provided it seems that something isn't adding up IMO. In looking at and buying these things I think you always have to be willing to walk away from it if you don't feel 100% comfortable..
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Condoluminum

I believe the sovereigns were not as well equipped as the Excellas, but I could be wrong.

Richter1512

Look at lots of trailers. You need to get a feel for what is available and what you can get for your money. It is more important to buy the right trailer for you than how much you paid for it. Just because you get a bargain, if it is not the right trailer for you, you will not be happy.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
It's not close to the OP, but there's an '84 Sovereign 25 with a nice-looking exterior for an ask of $9200 here in our forum classifieds. There are no interior pics on the listing.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Have you actually looked at the trailer? The reason I ask is there has been an 85 25 footer for sale on different boards and Craigslist that is a scam. It's usually from the east coast and has a phone number so you can talk to a real person. I have seen the same one (I know it's the same one by the pictures) for sale by 3 different people in the past 8 months. When I replied that it was a scam I got spammed with lots of crap from the person. So.... be careful.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1985 safari 25'