Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Burlington Flats , New York
'56 Caravanner gutted - good price?

I have been driving past an old Airstream every day for a couple of years. In my effort to obtain an Airstream someday, I thought maybe an old , gutted one would be the way to go, depending on the restoration price. Finally stopped and found someone home. It's a 56 Caravanner (love all the windows), gutted, floor rotted, saw at least one small hole in metal floor, windows need replacing, have no idea about the frame, etc. I just took a peek all around. The owner wants $2200. Is that anywhere near what it's worth? Also I'd need someone to give an estimate on restoration, not period, just useable. Thanks for any info.

Angellhill.
angellhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I want it! Restoration, lots of $$$$$$$
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Post pictures if you have them, these better help determine the condition. I can tell you that this price is too high for this trailer IMHO as it will need everything done to it. A professional restoration will likely run you around $40k-$50K on the LOW end.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Unless you are a serious collector and really like the look, the best economic for just camping at a reasonable price is the latest model Airstream you can afford in a condition that you will not have to have any work done on it by others. The labor costs will eat you up and some parts are difficult to purchase.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I don't have any pics. Guess that takes care of that idea, though
I appreciate your opinion.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Although it does seem high for what you described, only you know your reasons for getting the trailer you get. True, if it is to camp right away at a reasonable price then this does not seem like the best option. If you want to work on something slowly for years and enjoy the restoration (and have the space for it), then it might be right if you can get it for a price you're comfortable with.
I have a Spartan trailer that's sitting waiting to get a full restoration as I restore my airstream because I wanted a trailer like that from the very first second I saw one. I found a deal and grabbed it. It will be years before it's ready to camp in, but I'm willing to wait.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I know what you mean. I used to dream about how it would look restored, but in all actuality, I'd like a trailer we could use soon. The cost of restoration is a hindrance too. If it was 30 years ago, my husband would be able to do all/most of it, but not anymore. Thanks for your input.