Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I would, If I had the extra cash laying around. I love my 68' and in another week and a few days will be ready to roll.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We did and would do it again, however, if you have the time and the patience you might look around for a gently used one.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You make an EXCELLENT Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I owned three new SOB's before buying a 9 year old AS. The used AS cost less than any of the new SOB's and is much higher quality than the SOB's. My SOB's made many trips to the dealer for warranty work. Many times the work was a repeat of a previous fix. My SOB's all had $14 plastic faucets vs the Moens faucets in the AS. All of the plumbing fixtures and hardware in the SOB's were of much lower quality.

I would buy a new AS but I am too tight to part with that much money for a new one when I get so much enjoyment out of my 02 Safari. My wife and I are both convinced that our AS is the last camper we will ever buy. I am convinced it can be maintained and upgraded over the years while the typical SOB has about a 10 year life span. My 10 year old AS is just now growing out of her infancy.
People who've not owned a SOB often don't realize how badly some of them are put together. Or how bad a 10 year old one can look (assuming it isn't kindling already). There ARE some nice SOB's but there are a whole lot that are just junk. As for a gently used Airstream - well that's also a great valid point.

Paula
Old 07-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Yes
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I would buy a NEW Airstream if I lived close to a service department that was known for quality work and wasn't swamped all the time. I wouldn't by a new ANYTHING (RV) unless I was somewhat mechanical and able to find and debug small problems one my own. If I was looking for a trouble-free experience a few weeks a year, I'd RENT.

I disagree with some comments... some SOB trailers ARE better quality, because their design is not as complex. The guts and systems on all these things are the same... if they are put together wrong, it doesn't matter whose sticker is on the outside.

It's like buying a Picasso, or a Ferrari... you admire it for what it is, put up with the headaches, and try make the best of it...
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post

It's like buying a Picasso, or a Ferrari... you admire it for what it is, put up with the headaches, and try make the best of it...

Thats why you buy a Lotus. Toyota engine. 0-60 in 4 sec. and handles great. It can even beat a shelby mustang 500 around a track. Mostly because the mustang can't or ever will be able to go around a conner.

AS is kinda the same. looks cool, works great most of the time. but when it goes wrong, WELL

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
YES, in a heartbeat. But only if I could pay cash up front. I have enough bills right now to be adding basically another house payment to the list. My Bambi II is paid for and if worse comes to worse at least I will have a comfy bed to sleep in and and trailer with all the bells and whistles that I need to be comfortable. Personaly from talking to owners of other brands of new trailers I don't think that Airstream has anymore QA issues than any other brand currently being produced. I will say that I have been impressed by the new Keystone Vantage models, lot of trailer for the money in my opinion.

Side note: I was at the local AS dealer today to check out their new shop and parts dept. While there I over heard the mechanic telling the service manager why a new mega thousands of dollars Airstream Interstate had no AC power. Seems the factory when assembling the unit failed to strip the insulation from the incoming positive lead to the power converter. Such a stupid mistake would have been prevented if AS actually had any kind of QA check system in place.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink Here we go again......

"Would YOU buy a brand new Airstream today?"

Nope...WAWA WAWA WAWA

Took 8yrs to get this one where it needz to be, don't have the time, energy or inspiration to start over.

Newbie buyer....I might be suckered into new.

But IMO, a 1st class used is a much better option.

Bob

Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
NO! I have a 38 year old Argosy 26'. It had problems, but nothing like what I read on the forum about the new units and the problems people face when trying to get them repaired.
I have taken care of all the known problems with this trailer. At least if there is a problem with something I've done, I know where to find the guy that screwed it up.
All new plumbing, upgraded electrical, functioning furnace (original I might add), functioning original refer (no fancy Electronics to go bad) , new water heater, new toilet, new axles, new base cabinets in galley, new cabinet fronts thru out. Oh! And the original air conditioner still works.
And best of all! It's paid for.
Other than fancy stainless stuff and other tricked out things. I don't see a whole lot of change in the past 38 years.
The new ones may have micro waves, TV's, DVD players and solar. So does mine. Even an inverter.
Why would I want a new one at 8x the price?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Absolutely yes!
Especially when you see the new ones on the factory floor. I have had three used ones and have tackled some big projects on them and it would be a blessing to have something newer. The problems I see mentioned seem minute and nit picky but easy for me to say because I have personally fixed about everything I own.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thumbs up

Yes! In another (stentless--power to you casa) heartbeat!
We love our problem-ridden 2007 FB. Solving the problems and adding some perks have made it the perfect fantasy-mobile.
Happy Trails.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Yes and No!

Hi, Yes and No! [My daughters hate this answer] Yes, if I wanted to because of mine being totaled or stolen or something like that. No, because the one that we have now was planned for our one and only trailer for life. My biggest malfunction is the tank monitors and I have learned to live with it like it is. Little problems, Yes. Big problems, No. We ordered our trailer and saved way more than I will ever spend on it for repairs. Our trailer was paid for before we ever even seen it. [another big savings] We thought that we might want to full time in the future and may want to go up in size, [27' to 30'] but if we do it will more than likely be another brand new one without payments. And yes, it does help to be someone with a mechanical back round, who also can do plumbing, electrical, wood working, and sewing too.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Yes, I have bought new, and would do it again.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nope!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #35
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
YES --------------- If they would reproduce the Clipper in a 3 axle 44', with mid mount door, Cummins engine, raised rail chassis, aluminium frame above and below the floor, 44000# GVW + 10000# tow capacity. It would be gelcoat finish, and would have basically the same systems as was the OEM model, with all storage tanks increased by 20%.(eg fuel 120USgal, Water 120 USGal, Grey 84USgal, and black 48 USgal.)
It would have slides as an option, but come standard equipment as a no slide "traveler" edition built to handle the rough roads to be encountered with continent wide travel.
The roof air conditioning would be 'TRANSIT STYLE" and ducted through out, large solar capacity, and windows the same size as the Clipper, but improved skylight quality.

I can say that I would buy one because the chances of them building it are less than me having to win the lottery to be able to buy it.

Dave
Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Dave,

Try one of these: Newell Coach - Take the good life with you on for size. No Airstream can compare......in fact NOTHING compares to it!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Thats why you buy a Lotus. Toyota engine. 0-60 in 4 sec. and handles great. It can even beat a shelby mustang 500 around a track. Mostly because the mustang can't or ever will be able to go around a conner.

AS is kinda the same. looks cool, works great most of the time. but when it goes wrong, WELL
Old Lotus' were very much like Airstreams... looked good from afar, people thought you were a pimp, and sounded nice when the actually ran.

New Lotus' aren't really Lotus... and perhaps that's the direction Airstream needs to take to transition to something better...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Would I buy another new Airstream???? I haven't even thought about it as I just bought a new Airstream.
But, I don't know... I think there are lots of valid reactions (not complaints) to some of the quality issues that I would have to think about. At first I was disappointed in the gaucho-dinette set-up., poorly designed, difficult to change and awkward. Next I found the Zip-Dee awning to be troublesome. I know this is a non As product but AS installs and contracts with Zip-Dee so it's an AS issue. I'n now dissatisfied with the marker light bases.Why do the flat surface areas have the same radius bases as the curved panels. This leaves a gap in the center and some of the lights are snugged up so much they have dented the aluminum.These are design issues and have nothing to do with production. I looked at other trailers half heartedly when we made this purchase and I will say my new AS is the least cheesiest of all of the other brands.

So i guess thats what I have an issue with. I got a coach because it was the least cheesiest as opposed to being the best.

I know , I know I still haven't answered the question. I dunno.I hope I don't have to buy another one.

This is in no way an endorsement for Kraft Mac & Cheese which advertises it self as being the most cheesiest.

And I hope I haven't offended anyone from Wisconsin and get this thread shut down.

Dan
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2018 23' International
San Diego , California
Yes. We bought two within the last 14 or so months. No issues with either one. We have been very fortunate to not have the quality issues I read about other's have had. No issues with either one.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
IF you didn't buy Airstream what Other SOB would you buy???? I've been looking at some other brands and they seem to be very competitive to Airstream.I think Airstreams are way over priced today .I bought my 25 foot Safari new in 1999.The price has now more than doubled for a Flying Cloud and I think my old Safari is a better trailer.Airstream better watch out some of the other trailers are going after their market niche. MI Silver
Closed Thread