Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York

Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
I would definitely buy another new one, but I would get it at a price that reflects its actual value, not its mythical, fairy dust value. The reason I would buy another one is that no one else makes an aerodynamic aluminum trailer with sleek interiors. But simply, and factually, we overpaid for the last new one (2012). I won't make that mistake again.

The truth is that the discounts off list are going to continue to get deeper, because people understand better that they will have to spend a lot of money to make it reliable. It's simple economics. Either AS can put the reliable stuff in, or I can put it in, but I won't pay for it twice. Nobody on the planet pays list price for these things. This ain't no Camry or Accord. These are very heavily discounted already. Right now they go for about 20% off, and based on what is being shipped they should be 25% to 28% off.

At some point the high quality dealers will balk at this situation. They won't want to have all these angry customers screaming at them all the time. And they won't like smaller and smaller margins as people demand deeper discounts to reflect poor reliability. At that point the AS company will either move to a lower end dealer base (used car lots), or improve the product, or go out of business.

The AS trailer is a GREAT idea conceptually. It has a ton of unique aspects to it that make it very appealing to a niche market. But the idea has been "cored out," China-fied, and cost reduced to untenable levels. There simply is no market of any kind for $80,000 campers that don't work. Just look at the number of brand new owners like Tchur on here who are out on the first camping trip of the year, and already so frustrated they want to sell. This will be unsustainable for AS. They'll be dead in three years at this rate of unhappiness. It would appear that the company is just sound asleep.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas

Originally Posted by woof View Post
Would YOU buy a brand new Airstream today?
Yes. In a heartbeat. (and I have learned a lot about heartbeats recently)

Fact is, If I thought I was going to keep working to pay it off, I would have a brand spankin new 28ft International Serenity sitting in my driveway right now. Love my 1984. Love the new ones even better.
Chuck & Skye
Rock and Roll Will Never Die!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We bought a new Airstream 3 months ago and we love it! The company has been responsive to the few issues we have had and we think it is just awesome! I would do it again in a heartbeat! Even if we had to pay list price...

I can not help but compare some of the "complainers" on this forum to Spanky and Alfalfa and the "He Man Woman Haters Club".......

Oh well, We love ours anyway!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
My wife and I love our new 30 foot 2012 flying cloud. We have had only one problem with it; the water tank sensor did not read properly for the freshwater tank and was replaced.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Unlike some of the kool-aid drinkers here (sorry Gene, couldn't resist!), I have a love hate relationship with my AS. The concept and iconic history is unqestioned. However, the execution sucks. The only savings grace is the fact that I special ordered it and did not have to overpay for features I did not want. This will be the last AS/TT I ever own.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I would, If I had the extra cash laying around. I love my 68' and in another week and a few days will be ready to roll.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We did and would do it again, however, if you have the time and the patience you might look around for a gently used one.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You make an EXCELLENT Point

Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I owned three new SOB's before buying a 9 year old AS. The used AS cost less than any of the new SOB's and is much higher quality than the SOB's. My SOB's made many trips to the dealer for warranty work. Many times the work was a repeat of a previous fix. My SOB's all had $14 plastic faucets vs the Moens faucets in the AS. All of the plumbing fixtures and hardware in the SOB's were of much lower quality.

I would buy a new AS but I am too tight to part with that much money for a new one when I get so much enjoyment out of my 02 Safari. My wife and I are both convinced that our AS is the last camper we will ever buy. I am convinced it can be maintained and upgraded over the years while the typical SOB has about a 10 year life span. My 10 year old AS is just now growing out of her infancy.
People who've not owned a SOB often don't realize how badly some of them are put together. Or how bad a 10 year old one can look (assuming it isn't kindling already). There ARE some nice SOB's but there are a whole lot that are just junk. As for a gently used Airstream - well that's also a great valid point.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I would buy a NEW Airstream if I lived close to a service department that was known for quality work and wasn't swamped all the time. I wouldn't by a new ANYTHING (RV) unless I was somewhat mechanical and able to find and debug small problems one my own. If I was looking for a trouble-free experience a few weeks a year, I'd RENT.

I disagree with some comments... some SOB trailers ARE better quality, because their design is not as complex. The guts and systems on all these things are the same... if they are put together wrong, it doesn't matter whose sticker is on the outside.

It's like buying a Picasso, or a Ferrari... you admire it for what it is, put up with the headaches, and try make the best of it...
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Originally Posted by Friday View Post

It's like buying a Picasso, or a Ferrari... you admire it for what it is, put up with the headaches, and try make the best of it...

Thats why you buy a Lotus. Toyota engine. 0-60 in 4 sec. and handles great. It can even beat a shelby mustang 500 around a track. Mostly because the mustang can't or ever will be able to go around a conner.

AS is kinda the same. looks cool, works great most of the time. but when it goes wrong, WELL

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
YES, in a heartbeat. But only if I could pay cash up front. I have enough bills right now to be adding basically another house payment to the list. My Bambi II is paid for and if worse comes to worse at least I will have a comfy bed to sleep in and and trailer with all the bells and whistles that I need to be comfortable. Personaly from talking to owners of other brands of new trailers I don't think that Airstream has anymore QA issues than any other brand currently being produced. I will say that I have been impressed by the new Keystone Vantage models, lot of trailer for the money in my opinion.

Side note: I was at the local AS dealer today to check out their new shop and parts dept. While there I over heard the mechanic telling the service manager why a new mega thousands of dollars Airstream Interstate had no AC power. Seems the factory when assembling the unit failed to strip the insulation from the incoming positive lead to the power converter. Such a stupid mistake would have been prevented if AS actually had any kind of QA check system in place.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #28

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink Here we go again......

"Would YOU buy a brand new Airstream today?"

Took 8yrs to get this one where it needz to be, don't have the time, energy or inspiration to start over.

Newbie buyer....I might be suckered into new.

But IMO, a 1st class used is a much better option.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
Closed Thread