Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Hello team-

Justin Humphreys here, VP of Sales. I want to apologize to the poster of this thread for building this unit incorrectly. The mistakes on both the van yesterday and the trailer today were completely the fault of the sales team. Production built them exactly the way they were ordered and the dealers did not make any mistakes in ordering.

Since I am in charge of sales I personally take responsibility for these mistakes. We have checks in place to catch any errors but both orders were missed and we take full responsibility for it. Production did nothing wrong in either case, it was completely an order entry problem. We essentially chose the RB model instead of the FB in this case. We are reviewing the process internally to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The sales team here at the factory knows how exciting it is to hear your new Airstream has arrived. To know that due to our error the customer then finds out it was built incorrectly is beyond devastating for us. We take it very seriously that someone would entrust their hard earned money with us, and we are so sorry. Although error in orders are very rare, it should never, ever happen. My sincere apologies to those involved. If you have any concerns moving forward, please contact me directly at 937-596-6111 ext 7467.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season. Thank you for your continued support and again, my apologies on the mistakes.

Justin Humphreys
VP Sales- Airstream, Inc.

jhumphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well that's pretty cool. My guess is the OP should call as offered and work out the fix privately. Good on AS and Justin for owning up to it.....

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #17
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I've gotta say it is fantastic to have someone from AS on this forum! I post infrequently and don't remember a time when AS was more involved in this community than they are presently. Keep it up and happy holidays!!!!
Old 12-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #18

Bethel , Alaska
As a near future customer I was glad to see this response from AS. Deciding between used and a new 33' AS, I am keenly aware of all aspects of this building process.
Still looking for a dealer that will provide service based on this model demonstrated by AS.
Merry Christmas!
anavycrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
After reading the posts I agree there are a couple of problems here 1) The factory needs to take a pause and do a review of it's processes to figure out why this is happening and fix it and 2) The dealer should never have accepted the trailer - since it was not what you ordered. Both of these are not huge problems to correct - just a little attention to detail. As far as expecting some sort of deep discount for your inconvenience, if you can get something for it, that would be nice, but getting the correct unit in February isn't so terrible given the production backlog. Spring camping is much nicer than winter camping - even in Georgia. Mistakes happen and IMO this was an honest mistake. Ending on a happy note, we purchased a 2017 28' Serenity last year, we did a very thorough delivery inspection and found only 1 minor issue that was corrected before delivery. We have used our trailer 5 times (I'm still working) including dry camping and have loved every minute of it. We've had only 1 issue with the hot water heater not lighting on the propane side. It was a circuit board that was replaced very quickly by Dometic Atwood - by a mobile repair team at my home. It's a bummer to have to wait an extra 30 days, but in the big book of life it will not matter. You are about to embark on a wonderful adventure - be safe.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphreys View Post
Hello team-

Justin Humphreys here, VP of Sales. I want to apologize to the poster of this thread for building this unit incorrectly. The mistakes on both the van yesterday and the trailer today were completely the fault of the sales team. Production built them exactly the way they were ordered and the dealers did not make any mistakes in ordering.

Since I am in charge of sales I personally take responsibility for these mistakes. We have checks in place to catch any errors but both orders were missed and we take full responsibility for it. Production did nothing wrong in either case, it was completely an order entry problem. We essentially chose the RB model instead of the FB in this case. We are reviewing the process internally to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The sales team here at the factory knows how exciting it is to hear your new Airstream has arrived. To know that due to our error the customer then finds out it was built incorrectly is beyond devastating for us. We take it very seriously that someone would entrust their hard earned money with us, and we are so sorry. Although error in orders are very rare, it should never, ever happen. My sincere apologies to those involved. If you have any concerns moving forward, please contact me directly at 937-596-6111 ext 7467.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season. Thank you for your continued support and again, my apologies on the mistakes.

Justin Humphreys
VP Sales- Airstream, Inc.

This is good, appropriate, and very refreshing to see stated.

Kudos to you.

Maggie
Old 12-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Very honorable of you, Justin! Thanks for taking the time to post here. Things happen. No one died from it though. That's my new take on everything. I know money is on the line, and it sucks to have to wait 8 more weeks. It will all work out in the end.

Follow our blog! http://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
York , Pennsylvania
In the OR this is called “wrong site surgery”; a “never-event”.
KMH25TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Baldwin Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH25TWIN View Post
In the OR this is called “wrong site surgery”; a “never-event”.
Maybe I'm odd (-er than I think), but there is nothing about a screwed-up vehicle order, no matter how expensive the vehicle may be, that comes even close to being comparable to a surgeon operating on the wrong organ.

Hyperbole, anyone?

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
We were at the dealer yesterday that the OP was at, we were there to pick up our Airstream. The dealer told us of the other customer's problem and of how badly they felt about the situation.

I know it's no consolation but our trailer was as ordered. It's sitting in our driveway as we get it ready for our first trip.

If it's at all possible I'd suggest finding out when in February the trailer will be built, then contact Airstream for confirmation. We did that three weeks ago, were told that it would be out of production Dec 12-13, and made a trip to Jackson Center with the hope of seeing it. We did, and it was nice to confirm that it was being built as ordered. It was a ten hour drive up there, but well worth it to tour the factory and see our AS under construction.

Cheer up, February will be here before you know it, and this screw up will be forgotten as you enjoy your Airstream.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #25
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
They built us the WRONG trailer.

This post from Justin along with Airstream chiming in on other inquiries and making direct public contact in light of the problems posted shows a commitment by Airstream to its customers.

Kudos

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
I will try to personally call but am getting on a plane to Europe very soon. I did thank him directly and the dealer has been very accommodating in arriving at a solution. Thanks to all for their input!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
I would call now!!! Dont wait!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When you call question where your trailer fits into the delivery schedule. It may be finished but could sit on the lot for some time.

You do not want it delivered during inclement weather or while salt is still on the roads in Ohio.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote