Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Very honorable of you, Justin! Thanks for taking the time to post here. Things happen. No one died from it though. That's my new take on everything. I know money is on the line, and it sucks to have to wait 8 more weeks. It will all work out in the end.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
York , Pennsylvania
In the OR this is called “wrong site surgery”; a “never-event”.
KMH25TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH25TWIN View Post
In the OR this is called “wrong site surgery”; a “never-event”.
Maybe I'm odd (-er than I think), but there is nothing about a screwed-up vehicle order, no matter how expensive the vehicle may be, that comes even close to being comparable to a surgeon operating on the wrong organ.

Hyperbole, anyone?

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
We were at the dealer yesterday that the OP was at, we were there to pick up our Airstream. The dealer told us of the other customer's problem and of how badly they felt about the situation.

I know it's no consolation but our trailer was as ordered. It's sitting in our driveway as we get it ready for our first trip.

If it's at all possible I'd suggest finding out when in February the trailer will be built, then contact Airstream for confirmation. We did that three weeks ago, were told that it would be out of production Dec 12-13, and made a trip to Jackson Center with the hope of seeing it. We did, and it was nice to confirm that it was being built as ordered. It was a ten hour drive up there, but well worth it to tour the factory and see our AS under construction.

Cheer up, February will be here before you know it, and this screw up will be forgotten as you enjoy your Airstream.
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #25
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
They built us the WRONG trailer.

This post from Justin along with Airstream chiming in on other inquiries and making direct public contact in light of the problems posted shows a commitment by Airstream to its customers.

Kudos

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
I will try to personally call but am getting on a plane to Europe very soon. I did thank him directly and the dealer has been very accommodating in arriving at a solution. Thanks to all for their input!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I would call now!!! Dont wait!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When you call question where your trailer fits into the delivery schedule. It may be finished but could sit on the lot for some time.

You do not want it delivered during inclement weather or while salt is still on the roads in Ohio.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #29

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Massachusetts
International Serenity 25' FB

I just ordered the exact trailer you were accidentally given. I ordered it through Airstream of Nashua, NH. Happy to play a role in a resolution, if circumstances permit. KD
K.D.Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ponte Vedra Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphreys View Post
Hello team-

Justin Humphreys here, VP of Sales. I want to apologize to the poster of this thread for building this unit incorrectly. The mistakes on both the van yesterday and the trailer today were completely the fault of the sales team. Production built them exactly the way they were ordered and the dealers did not make any mistakes in ordering.

Since I am in charge of sales I personally take responsibility for these mistakes. We have checks in place to catch any errors but both orders were missed and we take full responsibility for it. Production did nothing wrong in either case, it was completely an order entry problem. We essentially chose the RB model instead of the FB in this case. We are reviewing the process internally to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The sales team here at the factory knows how exciting it is to hear your new Airstream has arrived. To know that due to our error the customer then finds out it was built incorrectly is beyond devastating for us. We take it very seriously that someone would entrust their hard earned money with us, and we are so sorry. Although error in orders are very rare, it should never, ever happen. My sincere apologies to those involved. If you have any concerns moving forward, please contact me directly at 937-596-6111 ext 7467.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season. Thank you for your continued support and again, my apologies on the mistakes.

Justin Humphreys
VP Sales- Airstream, Inc.
Justin,
I’m the guy with the other mistaken order...the Interstate. I want to add my compliments with the others for your stand-up reply and taking responsibility for the mistake. I want to add that my dealer and your regional rep, Steve Hardman (sp?)
Have contacted me with similar sentiments with delivery now set for Jan 15. We were very disappointed when informed of the mistake but are now focused on Christmas and then the New Year with our new Interstate...maybe with a nice bow on top!!
FlStrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #31
Chuck & Molly

2018 30' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
This happened to us in August - our 30’ Classic arrived with the wrong maple instead of cherry cabinets. The JC folks admitted they erred and promised us the first one they could get off the line. No price concessions but we really didn’t expect any. Options have to be selected 4 weeks before manufacturing commences so the next order was placed on Sept 4, manufacturing started on Oct 4 and our new Classic arrived in Denver on Nov 9.

Our dealer, Windish RV was superb to deal with during our whole purchase process. They gave us a significant discount on the factory installed solar package and we were very happy with that.

We originally purchased a 2017 Classic from Windish in April but it suffered major damage in the May hail storm. Our insurance company totaled it in late June which led to the order that arrived with the wrong cabinets.

Stuff happens. Molly and I are on the road and enjoying life and retirement albeit 5 months later than planned.
cgunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Birdsboro , Pennsylvania
R U Kidding?

You're complaining because you have to wait four more weeks? Were you planning a trip in early Feb? Why did you even post this?
airnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
York , Pennsylvania
Hi Airstream Jim. Of course I don’t wish to launch a debate, and I entirely agree with you about the weakness of my analogy. However I am a surgeon. There are many similarities in processes and safety that are learned from manufacturing that we apply to clinical situations. So I guess that where my head lives. As a I have only recently joined the Airstream family I have been surprised to read of quality and factory issues that abound in this forum. I remain enthusiastic about my TT and I hope it meets all my expectations. My post was intended as a message to those at AIRSTREAM as I am aware they often read these posts. God save me, I have never had a wrong site surgery event, but that is only because, in part, of safe practices brought in from manufacturing. Airstream needs to implement those practices. I appreciate your response to my post.
KMH25TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #34
Chuck & Molly

2018 30' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
This happened to us in August - our 30’ Classic arrived with the wrong maple instead of cherry cabinets. The folks admitted they erred and promised us the one they could get off the line. No price concessions but we really didn’t expect any. Options have to be selected 4 weeks before manufacturing commences so the next order was placed on Sept 4, manufacturing started on Oct 4 and our new Classic arrived in Denver on Oct 13.

Our dealer, Windish RV was superb to deal with during our whole purchase process. They gave us a significant discount on the factory installed solar package. The correct
cgunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande
Old 12-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Hello team-

Justin Humphreys here, VP of Sales. I want to apologize to the poster of this thread for building this unit incorrectly. The mistakes on both the van yesterday and the trailer today were completely the fault of the sales team. Production built them exactly the way they were ordered and the dealers did not make any mistakes in ordering.

Since I am in charge of sales I personally take responsibility for these mistakes. We have checks in place to catch any errors but both orders were missed and we take full responsibility for it. Production did nothing wrong in either case, it was completely an order entry problem. We essentially chose the RB model instead of the FB in this case. We are reviewing the process internally to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The sales team here at the factory knows how exciting it is to hear your new Airstream has arrived. To know that due to our error the customer then finds out it was built incorrectly is beyond devastating for us. We take it very seriously that someone would entrust their hard earned money with us, and we are so sorry. Although error in orders are very rare, it should never, ever happen. My sincere apologies to those involved. If you have any concerns moving forward, please contact me directly at 937-596-6111 ext 7467.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season. Thank you for your continued support and again, my apologies on the mistakes.

Justin Humphreys
Great response. I knew you were a good guy when you let me eat the rest of your spaghetti at the International Rally dinner in Escanaba.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
BTW, I ordered a new 2011 F250 diesel from a t dealer in Sandy OR. I was or so I thought I was extremely thorough in every detail. The day came and there is was. But as I was talking to the salesman I worked with I noticed a few things were missing. Turns out, there was a miscommunication with the order. I was devastated. My previous 2001 F250 diesel was a great truck, but I compromised what I wanted because it was there and close to what I wanted. After ten years regretting not having everything I wanted, I wasn't going to do that again.
I was looking at the truck I didn't order and was so upset, I was willing to walk away from the $2000 deposit. The salesman could tell I was upset as did the sales manager especially as it was as much as my fault as theirs. They looked at each other, then me. They said "No problem. We can sell this and we will just order another one like you want."
I'm getting ready to order a 2018 and guess where I'm gong to buy it, even if it costs a little bit more.
I was a battalion chief in a fire department. I told my captains, "In our line of work mistakes can be made when you have to take immediate life or death decisions with only the information you have at that moment. What's really important to me is after the mistake is made is what you do next."
These are examples of making things right. In too many scenarios, this is a lost concept. Good Job Justin and good for running with dogs to understand and graciously accept an apology.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:40 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
They admitted to making a mistake. You’re not out anything. Let them make it right and move on.
Asking for a “Serious Discount” as mentioned is rediculous. There’s no damages. Get your new rig in February and go camping. Enjoy.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
You still have it wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithdogs View Post
We ordered a 2018 Intl Serenity 25RB in early September. How excited we were to "meet" it when it arrived this week!

Even though we can't take delivery until January due to holiday travel plans, we went to the dealer to see it the day after it arrived. I'm really glad we didn't wait.

It was a 25FB. Seriously.

Based on everything we've seen, the dealer ordered it correctly. AS apparently admits that they're in error. And now.. the earliest we can expect the replacement is mid February.

Thoughts????
Quote:
Hello team-

Justin Humphreys
Hi, Justin; The poster asked for a Rear Bed and was sent a Front Bed model. Your explanation is still wrong. Are you building the wrong trailer again?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:39 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Justin; The poster asked for a Rear Bed and was sent a Front Bed model. Your explanation is still wrong. Are you building the wrong trailer again?
Why? They admitted mistake so why is explaination wrong?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote