Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

Rio Dell , California
Opinions Needed on renovated 1966 Safari 22'

Hi, can anyone please review the linked ad and give a newbie some advice on this airstream. My daughter and I both have lyme disease, chemical and mold sensitivities. We are needing a place to live in on my mom's property, as her house has mold, so we would be living in it full-time. We are interested in this airstream because the seller has chemical sensitivities as well and renovated it for their personal use. Any input, advice or opinions would welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks, Laurie
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...684916116.html
healthhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

If this seller did all of these repairs (and did them CORRECTLY), then I would say that this is a reasonable price.

The intensely critical question is whether they did the repairs correctly. You need to get good and educated as to what "good" looks like, and you need to understand how these trailers go together. If you look on the "portal" page of the forums, and then scroll down, on the right hand side of the screen, there will be a link to the "inspector's checklist," which you will want to have in hand before looking at any trailer, and also a utility for finding volunteer trailer inspectors, who might be able to help you spot issues.

Some red flags that I see:

They make no mention of having replaced the axle. If they haven't, then it needs to be replaced (the rubber torsion elements only last about 20 years). Similarly, if they really did a good job of making all these other repairs, it is strange that the axle replacement wouldn't have been part of the effort.

It doesn't look like there is an air conditioner on this trailer. You might want one for living full time. Similarly, they make no mention of major appliances such as the refrigerator or furnace. I can see the refrigerator in one of the pics, but can't tell if it is a real RV fridge or a cheap AC only dorm style fridge. Again, it is weird that someone would do a "ground-up" renovation and not put in a new furnace.

The layout looks to have a permanent bed in the front, and a crib, a really no other furniture. I would imagine full time living would get tedious fast with no place to sit besides the edge of the bed. Similarly, living full time in a 22' trailer would make me feel closterphobic. I have a 21' trailer, which is just fine for traveling and sleeping in, but I wouldn't want to live full time in it.

The composting toilet is not what you want for your full-time use, parked next to your mother's house. Ideally you would want a conventional RV toilet with a black tank and drain hose plumbed directly into a sewer line. This trailer has no black tank, nor any grey water tanks. With your proposed stationary set-up, you won't need the grey water tank, but the composting toilet will seem a hassle, as you have to routinely remove the waste from it and dispose of it. No "flush-and-forget." The lack of a fresh water tank is also a funky design choice. You won't need it for your applicaiton, but the overall lack of tanks may hinder your attempts to resell it when you get tired of living in it.

Also, there is a big square patch on the driver's side rear of the trailer. Kinda stands out.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

Rio Dell , California
Thank you so much for reviewing the ad and your valuable input. All great points, and no the axle was not replaced. My understanding is they did the renovation themselves on a tight budget. When we looked at the extra work we would have to do, adding a flush toilet, black tank, a/c, heater and other tanks to re-sell it, plus a dining room table set-up, etc. We decided to go in a different direction. Thank you so much your experienced eye and willingness to give us feedback is very much appreciated.
healthhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags