Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Extended Warranty?

Is it worth it? I seldom buy extended warranties, statistics generally show they are not worth the money. Today, as we bought our 2014 AS 25FB, we were "offered" an contract for $2980 from RVCare. I told the dealer that if AS is so damn great and reliable, I don't see why you are telling me I "really" need it. Another red flag is that I only have 36 hours to decide. It is administered by Phoenix American Warranty Company of Miami, Florida. Any experience/advice is appreciated.
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Don't do it.

Most problems appear in the 1st 2 years of the factory warranty. Secondly, a lot of extended warranties exclude anything you may claim and are sold by small companies that may disappear next year. The dealers push them because they get a big commission, perhaps as much as half the premium.

When we bought our trailer, the character with the paperwork pushed and pushed this. We said "no" several times. Then he turned to my wife and tried to scare her into saying yes. I told him "no" meant "no" and we wanted to finish the paperwork before we walked out. He shut up then. I did have an Apple guy I was buying a computer from on the phone push an extended warranty repeatedly until I told him I would hang up if he brought it up again—he did and I hung up. Then I called again and got another guy, told him not even to think of asking about the extended warranty—he didn't and I bought the computer.

I'm not saying to walk out, but sometimes you have to act as if you mean it.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You will find that some of your appliances have options for extended warranties. Some of the standard warranties might exceed Airstream's warranty. For example at the time I bought my Airstream, the water level sensing panel had a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer. Dometic offered extended warranty for the refrigerator and the air conditioner. So if you examine the documentation that Airstream gives you with your new trailer, you will find all kinds of warranty information on the various components used by Airstream. Obviously you have your warranty from Airsteam that will cover everything....just about. But if you want extensions, you may be better off to pick and chose individual extensions from the manufacturers.

I was offered warranties before and after I bought my Classic. So far I've spent about $500 to take care of some brake issues and $100 for an air conditioner shroud. So that comes out to about $50 a year since I bought the trailer new. Now someday the air conditioner will fail and then the refrigerator, but once you spread the cost of those repairs out over the course of the years of ownership, my gut is that the cost will be less than if I had maintained a maintenance contract for the same period of ownership.

Now there are always a few who come out great. No doubt. But lets be honest here, the folks selling these warranties know the facts and they make money on these because the odds are in their favor that they either won't be paying out, or what they do pay out will be less than what they take in as premiums.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On my 2014, I also was offered the extra warrantee, which I turned down for all the reasons listed in the other posts above. I found it amusing that I had to sign papers showing that I "refused" the extra cost warrantee, another scare tactic used. They are a total extra profit item to the dealers.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Companies are in business to make a profit. Including companies that offer extended warranties.

While certain individuals with problem-ridden RVs will benefit financially from an extended warranty, the majority of RV owners with extended warranties will not. The price of an extended warranty is set such that this will be true, and so the warranty provider can stay in business.

I prefer to pay as I go for repairs, and keep control of my own money in the meantime, once the standard warranty has run out.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
I purchased an 07 new. Had 2 warranty issues. My experience would be the same as Jcanavere. I would pass on it.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Save your money for something more useful; you've got two years to find out if your Airstream components operate properly. If they do they are usually good for the long haul.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In the computer industry, infant mortality occurs usually within 90 days. If does not quit in that time frame, then it will probably last years. The only caveat are hard drives. We say, "It is not if a hard drive will fail, but when."

Rough treatment when the drive is running and all bets are off. That is why many computers are now coming with solid state drives with no moving parts. Then, in my experience, the axiom does not seem to apply.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
In the computer industry, infant mortality occurs usually within 90 days. If does not quit in that time frame, then it will probably last years. The only caveat are hard drives. We say, "It is not if a hard drive will fail, but when."

Rough treatment when the drive is running and all bets are off. That is why many computers are now coming with solid state drives with no moving parts. Then, in my experience, the axiom does not seem to apply.
I will chime in and absolutely agree with the extended warranty statements, re: the Airstream. Don't waste your money.

HOWEVER, the Applecare warranty has, over the years, replaced two desktop sized computers and one laptop. Perhaps Apple's is the exception, but I would not buy an Apple product without their extended warranty. And I been buying their hardware since 1985.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Every Apple computer I have acquired since late 1989 has had the extended AppleCare warranty which takes care of hardware issues, but also gives access to Apple support on software which has been used more often. My kids have used the Apple extended warranty more than I have and it saves me a long trip to repair their stuff.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
With any type of insurance, you have to weigh your ability to pay for "what ifs" vs the warranty costs. If you can't afford to repair a big ticket RV issue down the road, and it gives you peace of mind, go ahead and buy the warranty. If you have the $ in reserve to fix a problem (and continue to enjoy your AS) or you are handy and can fix it yourself, save your money up front and take the risk.
matthorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've been buying Apple computers for 25 years and have had no major problems and few minor ones. Hard drives have always worked and now we have 2 laptops and an iPad with solid state hard drives. We've never bought an extended warranty. I guess we never have to buy another computer. I wish the software worked as well.

Now we need a solid state Airstream.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote