Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Don't forget... A stealer may "throw in" the anti sway, weight distributing (WD) hitch... And set up on your TV (tow vehicle)... Also, a good sewer hose and fresh water hose. Here in Central Texas they also have "lifetime warranty " on the Airstreams.. Maybe SOB's too.

There are a couple other things like air pressure monitoring, 15" Michelins, etc.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdionne View Post
Jackson Center said they hear about dealers all the time making people wait for long periods of time be cause they didn't buy there. They said they were going to start cracking down on dealers. I hope so !

Hence my reference to the new 5 Rivet dealer program.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendetta View Post
I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, when is the Hershey Show?
Welcome, I was also curious so I Googled it,

http://www.prvca.org/default.aspx?tabid=59

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Although buying from a local dealer sounds good and may get you better service, once you're actually using your rig, you'll be at the mercy of whatever dealer is closest when you need them. As already mentioned, shop, shop, shop and then, shop some more. Have you checked www.rvtrader.com ? If not, do so! There's a LOT of wiggle room on RVs. If you're not very happy with what a dealer is offering, walk away. As for buying used online, be VERY careful. There are scammers out there. Do NOT send ANY money before you or someone YOU trust, has actually seen a candidate trailer. I know you're itchy to get an Airstream. Shop wisely. Good luck in your search!

PS: I went to the Hershey, PA RV Show for the first time last fall. It was WELL worth the five-hour one-way drive.

PPS: You DO have "enough" tow vehicle to safely haul an Airstream, right?
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #25
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Unless I misunderstood what I heard from the Airstream folks at International, I don't think the 5 rivet dealer program gets underway until 2017.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Unless I misunderstood what I heard from the Airstream folks at International, I don't think the 5 rivet dealer program gets underway until 2017.
Dealers are already getting the training materials and new signage. 2017 will be here before you know it. I know of one dealership that is in the forefront and is ready to go.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
In my humble opinion customer service and quality are the weak links in the AS distribution system. Dealers don't want to preform warranty work on your trailer if they didn't sell it to you and even if the dealer who did sell it to you agrees to do the work they must first get the warranty work approved first AS. The dealers say that it's AS's fault who really knows whose fault it is but it is a bumpy system. It is not like the automobile world. The low cost seller of AS's is Colonial in NJ, I believe that they are also the vendor at the Hershey show, they were three years ago. I would try to buy locally if possible. I don't know how pricing works now two years ago when we purchased you could expect a 15% discount off of the sticker if my memory serves me correctly. Now AS's are selling as fast as they can make them so I'm not sure about pricing. Call several dealers and see what they offer you and then negotiate from there. It's counter intuitive but buying a slightly used AS makes sense because all of the new units have problems or "bugs" that need to be fixed. After a year of two the owner have probably fixed most of the problems so gently used is an opportunity not only to get a good price but also to get a unit that the "bugs" have been fixed. The RV industry leaves a lot to be desired. Poor quality, high prices, marginal customer service, and long waits during the busy season for marginal service, that said I love the RV life style and so I put up with the poor quality and service. AS has all of these issues too but I still like my AS trailer. There is a lot of room for improvement in the AS quality and service system it is better than many RV companies but it is not like the automotive industry. This is an industry where "caveat emptor" is the word of the day, "let the buyer beware".
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ed, in the last couple of months I have visited three different Airstream dealerships all had a lot full of Airstreams with more on order and were offering 15% to 20% off new models. There are still deals to be had.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sewickley , Pennsylvania
We went to the Hershey show last year and agree was well worth it (3 hour drive each way for us though). We were sold on the 30' Flying Cloud Bunk but, after seeing it at the show, ultimately fell in love with a 30' Serenity with the Salsa interior.

We ordered new from the factory right after Thanksgiving (delivered in early March). It was a 21-22% discount. And, contrary to the experience of most, Colonial was NOT the cheapest. We saved $3k or so by going with a dealer who was much closer and more enjoyable to work with.

Eric
Seinbelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
We purchased both of our Airstreams, new, from Patrick at Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ. They will be at the Hershey show, which is September 14-18. I do not hesitate to recommend Patrick, Lauren or the dealership and would definitely buy from them again. We have always been treated well, got what we considered more than fair/square deals on both purchases and our trade-in. They are a busy shop, so getting an appointment for service/warranty work is not always immediate but they have never failed to deliver what I consider excellent service. With that said, we are fortunate to have them close to where we live. But what a great way to break in a new Airstream... with a cross country trip in the fall of the year! I would definitely give Patrick a call. Shopping for the "right" AS is a big part of the fun! IMHO the new Classic is stunning, especially with the new Cognac stain cabinetry. Best of luck in your hunt.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #31
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
To be clear about our recommendation below: One of the key selling points for us with Airstream vs. SOB products was that all Airstream dealers would service any Airstream that is under warranty, regardless of whether they sold it. This was very important to us, as we knew we would be towing Rocinante all over the country and have in fact had her serviced once, under warranty, at a dealer other than the one from which we bought her. They were extremely gracious and did a great, quick, job.

We recommend buying from and working closely with your local dealer simply because it's easier to do that. You will get to know them on a first name basis. You will need them going to bat for you against corporate. If you have a drive of more than an hour or two to get to your local dealer for that warranty service, the road will be long and tiring, because your visits will likely be more frequent than you hoped or expected. We were blessed to be within 40 minutes of our dealer, which made our warranty period much more tolerable. Based on our experience it's clear to us that we will never buy a new mass-produced RV of any brand unless we're close enough to make that service trip to the dealer an easy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
If buying new it's usually best to buy from your local dealer. You'll be spending plenty of quality time with that dealer over the next two years for in-warranty repairs. However, if the local dealer does not have a good reputation for their service department, I'd suggest that you buy a gently used Airstream instead.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:12 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Sorry, this was to be in response to one of the qustions....Hershey Show - September 14-18 from what the web says
OSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
OSIN: In 74 we bought an International Sovereign of the Road 31 footer, a 1968 model. We shipped it to Germany in 75 for a 5 year tour of duty. Germans loved it and everywhere we went we met hundreds who requested a tour. It did well on autobahns at 90 MPH (TV a 1975 500 cu ins Cadillac) but it's length made for a horror story on narrow country roads and thru small hamlets. In an Oct we had to move as Bickendorf landlord wanted his house back. Put the Airstream at a camping Platz. Found our Sulm house the following APR. We full timed over that winter 77/78. 20 pounder per day, frozen tanks and lines, wet walls, dripping windows, had to make a sail switch for the furnace i.e. cold + damp = misery. Wife and 5 year old and 6 pets threatened maham. All the entries to The Forum purport to Airstreams' continued extremely poor design for a go everywhere, inexpensive, 4 season, maintenance free full timing experience. Here's what I did. Bought a 1958 21' Caravanner ($4K) and did a radical 100% gut. Now R24 insulation, 1 wood stove/heater, 1 kerosene 45,000 Btu stove/military tent heater, electric start 3500 watt dual fuel generator w/drop down wheels lift off tongue, electric jack, Bulldog coupler, spare on bumper. Retrofit to independent suspension w/11" lift, 8500 Btu house A/C , 2 types Coleman cook stoves, pressurized a 32 quart 45,000 Btu turkey fryer w/ hand spray for showering and water heating. No frig, no furnace, no tanks, no water lines. no batteries, no fans (except 4 "D"cells ones), no 20 pound propane bottles (except 1 for trading when empty and to fill 1 pounders), no H/W heater, no furniture or counters or cabinets, no 12 volt charger ( mine on generator.) Instead 2 inflatable couches which make into queens, 10 plastic totes (stackable w/ fold open 1 side), 2 foam twin mattresses ( fold up in front of front and rear windows), candles, kerosene and propane lamps/lanterns, 6 volt LED lanterns, DIY R22 ice chest, Coleman Exponent Outfitter folding Camp Kitchen, 2200 watt pure sine wave inverter ( short duration use off dual TV batteries, 2 1000 watt induction hot plates, 12 volt 100% duty Viair air compressor w/ aluminum tank. 40 used 1 gallon milk jugs for water supply, unique toilet, slant ramp entry. folding Little Red Wagon to move stuff inside Caravanner from cargo area of Cadillac Escalade EXT. All propane use is from 1 pound refillable propane bottles. Everything can be moved outside under the hugh nylon foldable awning. No winterizing, little maintenance, 300 pound tongue, Caravanner weighs 2190 pounds and goes pretty much anywhere in the severest weather. Not fancy but easily "in place" sustainable w/ resupply trips by Escalade. $11K invested. Sorry, I do gloat.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
OSIN Mayham is Mayhem I suppose. I roll the wood stove down the slant ramp and boil off the grey water in the large stainless pan which sits under the original shower drain hole. In winter, when pan freezes, I ice pick it and put contents in heavy plastic bags for the ice chest and evaporate the extra. See you at Hershey. Look for an ugly unpolished Airstream with a vandals red spray paint hash tag on the rear. Mine is the one with the "whirrlygig" house attic vents protruding up from each roof hatch. They probably won't let me set up my 50' white sunshade nylon parachute.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:55 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
A couple of creative post.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Cincinnnati , Ohio
If we had to do it all over again, I would walk through every Airstream I could, make notes, then order a custom one from Jackson Center. I would sit on the toilet, lay in the bed, pretend to take a shower, move around, open and close every door and cupboard, to get the feel for how it will be to actually 'live' in my dream Airstream. Our biggest disappointment was the dinette. It was so uncomfortable, that after six years we had it completely redone. We love the space and comfort we gained! What storage we lost, was storage we did not need. Prior to having Jackson Center start the actual redo, they allowed us to walk through a few units that were on their property to see what others had done or what other styles offered. What an eye opening experience that was! We would have saved money in the long run, getting closer to exactly what we wanted had we done this before ordering our Classic!! Good luck!!
KathleenBenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #37
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Excellent point on setting yourself up for a custom order. We didn't even know it was possible when we bought ours. If we ever buy another, we'll definitely investigate that possibility.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
As with new home building I think it helps to own an Airstream or two prior to ordering a new custom built unit. Nice to know what works for you before spending all those $$$$$ for a new one.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:48 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seinbelld View Post
We went to the Hershey show last year and agree was well worth it (3 hour drive each way for us though). We were sold on the 30' Flying Cloud Bunk but, after seeing it at the show, ultimately fell in love with a 30' Serenity with the Salsa interior.

We ordered new from the factory right after Thanksgiving (delivered in early March). It was a 21-22% discount. And, contrary to the experience of most, Colonial was NOT the cheapest. We saved $3k or so by going with a dealer who was much closer and more enjoyable to work with.

Eric

So who was your dealer?

Tim
timdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Bigbuttugly agrees whole heartedly with the last 4 responces. Having experienced putting my 68 thru paces it was it was not designed for, he went "tabula rasa". Armed with the performance parameters it was unrealistic to think any Airstream ever built could measure up. Solution: Create the space, systems, size, weight, balance, complexity and presentation to exacting standards. Research sustainability, energy consumption, effort of the user, and spend wisely when necessary and ignore convention. Plush it would not be and a finished product product only an ardent full timer would relish it's simplicity. Two examples: (1) Open the door and fold down the slant ramp (2) Flip over (and perhaps uncap) the 3 roof hatches so the wind powered house attic "whirligigs" can begin hot air or fresh air replacement. So I bought a single 21' Caravanner and gutted it.