Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Travel Beyond US/Canada
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes.

My darling son-in-law is law enforcement in NYC....he says "don't go".

It's one of those things where, if it goes bad, it can go very, very bad.

And, you are not in your home country.

Could happen anywhere, even in the U.S., 'tis true.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Senator Jessy Ventura resides in Baha Mexico. He feels safer in Mexico than U.S. After watching his consperacy shows on youtube, I wonder if he's right.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I love all the misinformed or second hand based opinions being expressed here. Actually I ignore them. It is a wonder that some even leave the comfort and supposed safety of their homes. Go, meet some wonderful people, do not get drunk and stupid, insult your host or play the ugly gringo and you will have a great experience.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I love all the misinformed or second hand based opinions being expressed here. Actually I ignore them. It is a wonder that some even leave the comfort and supposed safety of their homes. Go, meet some wonderful people, do not get drunk and stupid, insult your host or play the ugly gringo and you will have a great experience.
I agree with AWCHIEF. I only here the worst from siblings which isn't that often. Stay away from bars,dogfights,cockfights,strip clubs and massage parlers. This is where the bad element thrives. Enjoy the resturants ,churches, outdoor shops, beaches and the friendly people. Don't judge the many buy the actions of a few.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
It is pretty amusing. But hey, different people have different fears. Perception is reality. We have had some of the most amazing experiences of our lives while staying down in MX. We travel there often and will continue to even more in years to come. Nothing like sitting in a commons area with folks from Italy, Canada, Argentina, and Mexico, someone tells a joke and you watch the laughs as it gets translated around the table.
The worst crime we ever experienced down there was when some prankster pre-teens were stealing the valve stem caps off the tires of motorhomes, they would drill a small hole in the caps and use them as whistles.....
The Mexican people are a warm, friendly, family oriented lot for sure. Its just a shame that they are victimized by these drug cartels. (who by the way, would go out of business if it werent for the insatiable desire for illegal drugs in America)
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Let me just clarify that I am not one of those that fears all things, nor was my husband.

Mexico was just a place he wouldn't go, period, in spite of tales from friends who had been to select border towns for years without incident. We also over the years met other travelers who had spent months in Mexico, loved it and had no concerns other than logical, common sense precautons.

One of his reasons was that he could not take a gun into Mexico, something he always traveled with unless flying.

Doug also trained numerous times with like-minded men at Gunsite, which did nothing to temper his position.

It is an individual thing, like so many others. Try not to make fun.

If I could stick my tongue out, I just would.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
From personal experience in Tijuana. 35 yrs ago I went to a meeting at the best hotel in the city. I tried to pay cash but they insisted on a credit card draft. The next morning I settled with cash and got the draft including the carbon paper for the duplicates. The next months statement showed charges at the race track over 2k worth. Thats alot of money in 1980, you could buy a corvette for 9 k. I've never been back since. The above post by me was being nice. If I shared what my brother in El paso and sister in San Diego share with me at reunions, nobody would visit Mexico. But to be fair, they see the dark side of desperate people and greedy cartel. It got to be too much for my sister and in 2005 transferd to the Florida Keys, she's much happier.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Awwwwwww Maggie, I wasnt taking about you or ANY individual. I can only speak of OUR experience, i agree with you, everybody is different. To each his/her own for sure. But what i find amusing is that our experiences in Mexico are sooooo different than what some folks (who have never been there) say with such conviction. The way we look at it is like this, we wouldnt set up camp in the middle of the Englewood neighborhood in Chicago, same holds true for traveling south of the border. We apply the same principles. If our gut tells us that we ought to move along, we move along. Sorry if I offended, didnt mean to. We have a good friend that owns and operates a beautiful RV park on the pacific coast. Near San Blas MX. He happens to be from right here in central IL. We have traveled there many times and just found it to be magical. Playa Amour RV and Camping Park San Blas Nayarit Mexico
Playa Amour RV and Camping Park San Blas Nayarit Mexico

Now pull your tongue back in, its too cold, it might get stuck on some aluminum skinned classic motorhome....

All the best Maggie, hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family.

Mike Spencer in balmy Champaign (up to 27, wooooohoooo)
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I wasn't offended, and didn't take the comments terribly personally , just wanted to point out that perfectly intelligent, rational people....like Doug and my son-in-law....refuse to go into Mexico.

I have always wanted to go, is the truth. Wanted to go with friends we were visiting in Texas, who go into specific border towns regularly and safely.

Doug would not go, didn't want me to go, and said if he had to come in there after me for any reason it would not go well.

We have had some first hand experience with organized crime/cartels of a different sort. Power run absolutely amuck, and tentacles that reach everywhere and into everything, are not experiences one forgets.

And, it's one of those things.....if nagging, internal, doubts tell you not to do something....pay attention, and don't do it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, mayco. Hope you get to Moraine View second weekend in June.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Not to worry, if a person has any problems traveling in Mexico the local police are only a phone call away.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/world/...nts/index.html

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That RV park looks beautiful, mayco.

I have never been farther south on the pacific coast than San Diego, and alwyas wanted to see Baja..........maybe someday.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendywoods View Post
Just realized the contents of the Airstream probably exceed customs limits for what people can take into the country. Does this mean I need to get rid of everything that doesn't meet the requirements, or is it better not to take it with us?
We spent two months in Baja early this year and had a wonderful time! Traveled from Tecate to Cabo. I was over the limit on booze (took two months worth of party juices!). When the Mexican customs police saw the booze, the only thing they were concerned about was taxing the amount over the limit. So, be prepared to possibly pay a tax. As it turned out in our case, the supervisor just waved us through anyway.

Never felt insecure at all during our travels. We traveled with a non-Airstream caravan for about half the time. The other half, we were on our own.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Maybe a airstream rally... safety in numbers.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That would be a good idea.

A forums rally.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We have been to Rocky Point (Perto Peñasco) several times...but not on the Baja, RPoint is not far into Mexico and an American-friendly place. We've never had a problem, but we have traveled with others. That said, if we were not going to actually USE our Airstream we would probably opt not to take it.

My step brother in Phoenix goes to San Felipe, MX (across the bay from rocky point) all the time. His real dad has lived down there for 10+ years and they have not said anything about issues other than the wait to get back to US through customs.

the roads are ok for the most part. Ones it upper sections seem to be better. You have to get mexico insurance on both vehicles which is sold at the border or online through a bunch of places.

My Step brother has a yearly policy on his truck to take down.

they did the shrimp festival last weekend and had a blast..
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #36
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I winter in La Paz, MX and have actually seen an Airstream caravan going right thru town. I came down last month (without my Stream) and the road was good. I don't really anticipate you having any problems. The people are very friendly and helpful. If you are planning on not staying in your trailer once you arrive at your destination not sure why you are bringing the trailer. Plenty of cheap motels along the way. BTW, gas down here is pushing $3.60 a gallon in US dollars. Along the coast around Loretto I frequently see RV's parked right on the beach. This is the time to come down as the weather is perfect. With all the rains from the hurricane the desert has never been more green. Fuel frequently and do not drive at night. Underline do not drive at night.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Two points I felt should be made...

1. On the subject of cartel "bloodshed in the streets of La Paz"... One can never tell the origin of anything posted or quoted on the internet. It has been our opinion that these kind of stories... often times unsubstantiated and verified have lead to many RVrs not going to places where they used to. Baja is not affected by the mainland drug problem as the Cartels prefer to move the drugs into the US through Arizona and Texas... Baja has very tight security checkpoints and has not been affected by the movement of drugs and weapons.

2. Because in large part of "scare stories", most RVr's have stayed away from Mex... as a result, most RV parks are closed or closing.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #38
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey, if it's on the internet it MUST BE TRUE. Right

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Hands down, the best resource for info on Baja.

BajaNomad - Powered by XMB
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
For the record, we are heading to a small town called La Mision, between Rosarita and Ensenada, about a hundred miles south of Tijuana. We intend to take the toll road. Our rented house is on a hill overlooking the ocean right off the main coastal highway. We will be parking on a narrow street outside the house or in the driveway preferably. My main concern was how to navigate through customs. Everyone has said to go in the far right "things to declare" line, show your passport, vehicle registration, Mexican insurance, vehicle titles, FMMs (I am buying two in advance from Baja Travel Club), show the cat's rabies and health certificate, and we're on our way. Is that about all I need to know? Wendy
wendywoods is offline   Reply With Quote