Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Mexico Hassle Free Vehicle Zone | Free Zone | Mexpro
blog.mexpro.com/mexico-hassle-free-vehicle-zone
Feb 14, 2014 - The Hassle Free Vehicle Zone, which is also sometimes referred to as the ... Baja California and Baja California Sur are inside the free zone.

The baja is part of the "hassle free zone". Most all of the customs and vehicle permits are relaxed. Read the link and it pretty much explains the rules. It makes travel to those areas a breeze. Or just google "mexico hassle free zone".

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendywoods View Post
For the record, we are heading to a small town called La Mision, between Rosarita and Ensenada, about a hundred miles south of Tijuana. We intend to take the toll road. Our rented house is on a hill overlooking the ocean right off the main coastal highway. We will be parking on a narrow street outside the house or in the driveway preferably. My main concern was how to navigate through customs. Everyone has said to go in the far right "things to declare" line, show your passport, vehicle registration, Mexican insurance, vehicle titles, FMMs (I am buying two in advance from Baja Travel Club), show the cat's rabies and health certificate, and we're on our way. Is that about all I need to know? Wendy
I am a native San Diego and have retired there. The border wait depends on the time of day. I can see Tijuana from my back deck. On a clear day, I can see the bull ring by the beach.

A co-worker, physical therapist and friend of mine was returning home in their vehicle at night from Rosarita with her in-laws and husband on the toll road. They were stopped by men dressed in police uniforms, who took what little money they had on them, and let them go.

Mexico is the destination for many of the SUVs and heavy duty trucks stolen from the USA. Some of these have been found with the Tijuana police as their current owners.

My retired vet who used to go fishing in Baja all the time has stopped due to the crime.

Some ocean cruise ships have chosen to travel elsewhere. Can Mexican ports revive cruise industry? | UTSanDiego.com

There have been beheadings, kidnappings of foreigners in Tijuana by gangs. 2 bodies hung from bridge, man beheaded in Tijuana - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

How to Avoid Being a Victim of Crime in Baja | U.S. Consulate General Tijuana, Mexico

A friend, whose mother lives in Tijuana is very careful as her neighbors have been kidnapped for ransom.

See this link about a robbery SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Mexico -- Race crewman reports latest Baja robbery

Regarding guns: 100% illegal This marine was recently released on humanitarian grounds Marine held in Mexican prison on weapons charge; mom calls for release - CNN.com

I lived in Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico for 2 months in 1980. The people were wonderful and friendly. In the larger cities, near the tourist areas, people can be aggressive and will take advantage of the naive. There are few arrogant, disrespectful citizens of the USA, who have left a bad impression which is generalized to all visiting citizens of the USA. Respect is earned and is not an entitlement. Remember, we are guests in a foreign country. Our government will not help you if you get into trouble.

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #43
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Miz Wendy
This article was published by ABC News tonite. Maybe think this over once more. I wouldn't want to pull my 20ft FC "Daisy" through/into this situation. Safe travels if you do, however. Jon
The normally bucolic, vacationer-crowded state at the tip of Mexico's Baja peninsula has become a battleground, with dozens of killings in a power struggle following the capture of drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman nearly a year ago.
The bloodshed has been concentrated in La Paz, the capital of Baja California Sur state. In the latest killings, two men bound, gagged and showing signs of torture were dumped onto streets in exclusive neighborhoods Sunday and another person was found shot to death Tuesday.
The local newspaper El Sudcaliforniano, which puts the mounting death toll in each headline on stories about violence, has reported 46 homicides in and around the city so far this year. That doesn't include the apparent shooting victim on a La Paz sidewalk Tuesday. Federal statistics through October counted 48 killings for the entire state.
Baja California Sur is better known for its beaches and Los Cabos resorts that draw thousands of American tourists. But since last year it has experienced a level of drug violence it had previously been spared.
Interesting how we talk about Mexico and yet, have learned to accept this: United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That’s not to mean one shouldn’t ask questions from people who have been there, experienced travelers, but I think we need to put the media and reality in perspective.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #44
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
You should have no problems in Rosalito. Many Americans and Canadians have homes there. No real reason to stay in the right lane when going thru the border. I assume that all you will be carrying are personal items so you have nothing to declare. I have passed thru the border many times with and without items to declare and have only been stopped once then they waved me thru. You will pass a couple of military check points and they might want to inspect your trailer. They are only looking for guns and drugs. They are very polite and no need for you to be concerned. They most likely will ask your destination and where you are coming from. Nothing to be concerned about. Have a nice trip.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
Thanks for the advice - especially TinCan -- with an Airstream that is our home, we have the usual electronics and personal items, a refrigerator, some produce, some vino, and a cat. Nothing boxed up and new that would look suspicious. Will proceed in the Nothing to Declare line and get my FMM and hopefully be off. I will report back if anything of interest happens!
wendywoods is offline   Reply With Quote