Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
modifications

Has anyone gutted a 1950's single axle and put back as an open concept rig with none of the original type systems. My 1958 Caravanner now has no tanks, no lines ( electric, water, or propane ), no furnace, no pumps, no hot water heater, and uses the KISS principle. Nothing to winterize. No cabinets or closets. All interior contents can be used inside or outside. I took the "aluminum can" from 2800 pounds empty to 2180 pounds OTR and I use my Escalade EXT to supply water, wood, propane, kerosene, gasoline ( for a tongue mounted dual fuel 3500 watt generator ), slant ramp, TV trays, lawn chairs, folding little red wagon, etc. The EXT has about 1,000 pounds hidden by the OEM folding cargo covers. The 22 footer has inflatable couches ( make into queen beds ) and sleeps 6 inside or outside in a spacious screen room. Many items fold and/or up or down from sides or in front of the front and rear window. The tongue weight is always adjusted to exactly 300 pounds. Needs no "shore power", or use of brakes, or load levelers, or inferior sway control ( does have dual chains and a breakaway - yes ) Running gear makes my "Yurt with Tires" like to cruise uphill or downhill at 75 MPH, but some states frown on that. The EXT uses a Brembo retrofit. Should not have bought 2 Trojan T-105s, 8,000 Btu house A/C, 2200 w pure sine wave inverter, battery charger, 110v frig, 100% duty 12v air compressor and aluminum tank, microwave, Kerosene military tent heaters, twin 2200 pound air bags to increase road clearance to 11", and a porta potty. Even with the $4.1K shell and all the extra stuff, have just over $10K invested.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote