Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

St Awfull , Cornwall
Shipping From Florida to the UK

Anyone done this before. I'm thinking of coming over to Miami in a few months and checking out the craigs listings and getting one shipped over. However it all seems to be Baltimore or Galveston.
Miami is a massive port so I presume they would have container frieght as well.
Any information would be greatly apreciated.
MikeHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
Good Day from Ga. Believe Jacksonville, Fl and Savannah, Ga are 2 ports that AS's have been shipped from. I have a 1962 19' Globetrotter thats is available. It's a solid AS but it does need restoration or ??? depending on the plans for the new owner. Pics can be sent to you if you would like. I will need your e-mail address for the pics. Jim Claussen, Americus, Ga PS: If I could, I would recommend avoiding Miami unless you are going there for other reasons. My e-mail is exdupont1@msn.com
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Mike,

Anywhere but Miami would be a better plan. We searched for ours for almost a year and the pickings in South Florida are extremely lean. We ended up buying ours in Tallahassee (500 miles away)! Don't know why but Airstreams are not particularly popular down here -- almost every one you see is visiting from somewhere else.

There is a huge dealership in the Tampa area but their used inventory is usually pretty slim.

We do have a huge port but the lions share of the shipping is to/from South America.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
AS in Florida

Good Day, Bates RV, NE of Tampa on I-4. Is the dealer that has 7 older AS in the ground nose first in a lot next to his business. Advertising and celebrating AS 75 years ?? Caused a lot of controversy but he won and they are still there.
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Mike airstream trailers are too wide for container shipping. You have to use a roll on, roll off service. The trailer is towed on board the ship tied down and towed off the ship upon arrival. This type of service raises the cost to about $5000 to ship to the U.K.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

St Awfull , Cornwall
Thanks for all your advice and help !
MikeHunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, miami, mickey mouse, shipping