Old 12-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Security and Your Airstream at Home, and Away.

Newbie here about to purchase our first AS - 26U Twin. Very excited. What do you do about security - in storage facility, in caravan parks, and boondocking when with the vehicle, and away? Are there security systems for AS - water, fire and personal? Video camera's if someone around during the night and you're in a remote location. Can you use a cell phone in an AS or does the aluminum inhibit the signal. Do you use satellite phones?? I've seen the firearm issues discussed in previous forum threads but not general security. Are we just being paranoid?

Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lock your doors and use common sense.

Never needed anything else since 2002. . My husband always carried a handgun, I do not.

There are a number of threads on this topic, if you want to do a search. To carry or not often becomes a pretty passionate topic.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Relax and go camping.... Lock things up, your cell phone will work in the trailer, the odds are ever in your favor that nothing will happen. Be sure your storage is secure and in a good area lock the tongue up.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Tarcoola View Post
What do you do about security - in storage facility, in caravan parks, and boondocking when with the vehicle, and away?
Are we just being paranoid?
It's only paranoia until someone actually breaks in. You can Lojack a trailer if you're worried about the whole trailer being stolen out of storage or from a boondocking site, but if you do, make sure you have enough solar to keep it powered.

If you're worried about someone burglarizing your trailer in storage, you can get trailer alarm systems. There are many to choose from— the best will send a text to a smartphone in the event of a break-in as long as both you and the trailer are in an area with cell coverage. Again making sure your batteries don't run down because of the alarm system is a good idea.

When camping in a campground, security is usually a non-issue. If your neighbors look untrustworthy you can always move on to somewhere that you feel safer. After all, they're just as vulnerable as you are, so the whole "Do unto others…" golden rule is in full force. This may be one reason why the pink flamingo has become an unofficial icon for Airstreamers; flocking together for mutual protection is a natural instinct.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Use !ocks and high priced insurance. Professionals laugh at locks but the use of them might discourage anyone with bad intentions.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Northwest , Missouri
Sleep therapy

She can be a Royal pain, and on occasion a wee bit Gassy, but I have no problem sleeping when she's along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acme Security.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	254202  
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
boca raton , Florida
We own a small security company here in South Fl and I have installed a gps tracker in our '68 overlander. We store it at a local storage facility that has been broken into several times. I set up a geo fence on the unit so if it moves more than 3 ft I get an alert. Then I can follow the unit on google maps through my phone or PC. I have it hooked up to a full size deep cycle battery which I bring home every couple of weeks to charge. The gps sends out a signal when the battery is low also.
bababouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
I actually generally leave the airstream unlocked if I head out for a time, or in storage -- I'd rather someone open the door and meander through inconsequential stuff; than cost me major $$$ in the shattering of a window. never had an issue yet.
2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We lock the Airstream, carry good insurance, including floaters, and use a hitch lock, plus I wrap the chains and double lock those. We've been on the road almost a year now, exclusively boondock and it hasn't been an issue. You generally find like minded people in the wilderness. I'm more worried about cities and parks than I am of boondocking these days.

I've thought about a wheel lock, but I'm less paranoid now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-31869.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	254229  
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
One of the great things about the Propride, if my local dealer can't move it without me...
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Use decent RV parks and resorts, Nat'l/State Parks, avoid boondocking where you sense banjo's playing, overnights at rest areas can be miserable and Walmarts okay. We rarely lock our Airstream in the resorts, whenever we leave and at night everywhere else. Our Airstream is safe stored at home, not so much in a storage facility.

Campers are generally good people, a chance to make lifelong friends.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
A dog or electronic CANARY ...
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #13
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
A hitch lock, for sure. Top-of-the-line insurance, yes. We don't have the capacity to store our AS at home, but look for a secure storage facility with people on site like at our local AS service center or RV park, or on a friend's lot. We try not to camp in places where we feel uncomfortable, and did move on once when a run-down RV park gave off bad vibes. Many public campgrounds these days have on-site campground hosts, who provide some oversight. Some higher-end RV parks have security gates that require a code to enter.

We're not armed-- nor would you wish us to be!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I do not worry about campgrounds. They seem pleasantly safe. I keep my AS at home and I do worry when we are away without it so I added some sensors to my home wireless security system so that any entry to my AS will be alarmed while we are gone.

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote