Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Langley , Washington
What do you do with the trailer if you need to travel without it?

We are still in the planning phase for our Airstream adventures but I've been wondering what full-timers do if you need to fly somewhere for a while (let's say Hawaii or Europe for a couple of weeks). Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.
duffergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Um. Turn off the water and gas and lock the door?
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Many RV parks also have a storage area where you can leave your Airstream for about 1/3 the hookup rate.

To my surprise, when I was working in Las Vegas, it was as cheap to park the whole rig (tow vehicle and trailer) at the Airport as it was to park a car.

Zep
Old 12-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm not a full-timer, but I did my research into full-timing before my medical problems forced a change in plans. So I'm no expert, but I do know a little that might help.

Full-timers need to have a domicile for legal purposes (taxes, vehicle registration, driver's license, etc.). Organizations like Escapees that provide full-timers with a domicile typically also provide places to store a rig when it's not in use. Wouldn't always help, if the reason you're leaving the rig is an emergency and you can't plan to be near your domicile before you go, but for planned getaways…

For emergencies, if you attend church regularly during your travels, the local church may be able to help you out with storing your rig temporarily, if the duration isn't too long and you don't abuse the hospitality. By the way, churches also tend to be safe places to overnight while en route, and quieter than a truck stop or a Walmart.

What to do with the rig may be a problem that solves itself as you work out the other logistics of being a full-timer.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Langley , Washington
Thanks for the info! I'm glad to see a bunch of options.
duffergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Don't think I would leave it where a thief could help himself inside, or simply take the whole rig.

Good Rv dealers and parks have (fairly) secure storage for a reasonable fee.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Moose Club

I recently found out that the Moose Club International will allow members to park their rigs behind the club for a couple of weeks. It's not a regular storage facility - but a few people DO avail themselves of using it, and even living in the units for a week or two. Just one more avenue to pursue.

Also, many self storage lots have covered or uncovered RV storage behind barbed wire.

Depending on the time of year you should winterize - and regardless of the time of year. DUMP the Black, gray and even white water tanks and flush them thoroughly. You might get stuck out of town longer than you originally planned and could come back to a STINKY situation if you leave the tanks half full.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
There are secure, dedicated RV storage facilities in most major cities where you can store by the month and catch a plane to where ever you need to go. Some have covered or garage storage and electric to keep your batteries charged.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm trying (without much success) to find covered, lockable storage relatively close to me (near Bradley Airport in CT). There is a local option for outdoor storage (about $60/mo) in a locked lot but the AS will get hot in the sun and rained on while not in the road. Not a biggie, but would love to prevent that. And there's an indoor climate controlled option - about $200/mo that is about 1.25 hrs from me which we plan on using for winter months for sure, but would love to use year round if it didn't add 3 hours to each weekend journey.

Any thoughts i should be considering? If you know some specific options, please PM me. Thanks!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Many state parks have a place to store trailers that are not being used.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
how these full-timers store their rig

duffergeek,
With all due respect to the posters, the above suggestions don't ring true at all for us.

I think this is a great question and it arises for us almost every year. We aren't terribly experienced at this, but we have left our trailer behind nine separate times in the past six years while we traveled without it for a week or more at a time.

Five of those times we arranged to park the trailer in a nice commercial campground where we already were staying or would be staying as soon as we returned. We told the office and our "neighbors", and left a key with the office just in case of whatever. The hitch head is locked into the coupler and the hole in the hitch head's drawbar is locked. We left the truck there but usually parked beside the trailer.

The other times we parked the trailer at a relative's house, level and just beyond their carport. It's out of their way but nominally within their vision, kind of sort of. If anyone wanted to break in they could, and it would not be detected until the next day.

In all cases, we leave electricity on to run the refrigerator. We leave the converter/charger off and rely upon the solar panels to maintain the batteries (which really aren't drawing down much at all since only fridge controls and a few "phantom" loads are on). We leave the furnace on 45 degrees, the lowest set point our electronic thermostat allows, as freeze-proofing in case the wx drops really cold. And we leave the propane gas on to carry the refrigerator when the power is interrupted.

We have been away from the trailer for as much as one month once (longer than we planned but stuff happened and we had to stay with family), and usually for a week or two. The cost for camping space while we are "storing" the trailer is well worth it to us. The trailer looks as occupied as most of the other ones in the area so is, to us, more secure than in a storage area.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
If you happen to be retired military, many of the larger bases have storage lots for boats and RVs. Generally catering to deployed members but will accommodate others on a space available basis. Never been turned away or heard of anyone being turned away.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote