Old 03-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Potential weight problem with toppers

The extra space that you get with.a Leer or similar topper makes it easier to load in too much stuff and potentially overweight the tow vehicle. Not a deal breaker, just something to be aware of.

brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
True that!

I generally load no more than level with the truck bed, and do pay attention to weight. The main reason I like a topper is when I am NOT traveling, I can more easily carry something bulky in there, and keep it dry. Admittedly it rearely rains around Southern California, but it's happening a lot lately. THe topper I had on the other Tacoma leaked a lot less than this tonneau cover I have now...

One thought, gained by hard experience. Some toppers have a nice wide rubber gasket that conforms to the back of the truck cab and allows opening the truck sliding window to ventilate the topper. Sounds like a great idea, but reality will bite you.

A few years of driving around with that rubber against the paint, and the usual flex between the cab and bed will gradually rub ALL the paint off the back of the cab down to bare metal around the edge of the rubber seal. The rubber conceals it, but the paint is totally gone...I realized this when I peeled the rubber back to run a wire up from the bottom, through the seal, into the cab for an antenna connection. Was a bit shocked to see the nice silver factory paint on the truck cab totally gone!

Unless that potential damage is not an issue, I'd get a topper with it's own front end operable (or not) window, and just deal with it. I had to sell the topper with the truck to mitigate the damage. A decent topper I couldn't hold on to for the new truck. Sigh. Next one will have it's own window.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
We have a topper. Visibility to the side and back is an issue - mostly in town
CharlieSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tonneau cover vs topper.

Our set of flip-out towing mirrors with wide-angle spots help a lot.

When we donít need to tow, they flip back and give a bit better clearance in town.

Admittedly our Ď07 22 footer is a narrow body with dual axles. These mirrors donít see far enough around for a wide body...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:52 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
retrax

As much as I like the retrax pro xr, I'm not sure that I am willing to give up almost a foot of truck bed space. That would make me a 5 1/2 ft bed instead of 6 1/2 ft long bed. Just a thought.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Bellevue , WA
FlipBak

I use the FlipBak hard cover. Itís all aluminum and flips back in 4 sections to open. It locks with the tailgate key. When itís flipped back I can stand up in the bed of the truck to unload my gear or haul items that wonít fit under the lid when itís closed. Works well for me. Ordered from e tra.....
Goonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McCalla , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
The extra space that you get with.a Leer or similar topper makes it easier to load in too much stuff and potentially overweight the tow vehicle. Not a deal breaker, just something to be aware of.

Thatís why I bought an f350. Payload of 3197 lbs.
Jtholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
Me2 F350Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0423.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	507.0 KB
ID:	335900
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McCalla , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymark View Post

Looks good. What kind of cap is that?
Old 03-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McCalla , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtholland View Post
Looks good. What kind of cap is that?

I looked again and notice palm trees in the background. Where might that be?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quartzsite , Arizona
I've been a topper guy all my life but the new Tundra I'm eyeing I will get a tonneau cover instead.

My rational

1. I rarely load higher than sides of bed.
2. Cheaper
3. More secure: can't see in
4. Can add stuff on top like a bike!
5. Getting stuff in and out of a topper can be a head ache literally! I gashed my head last week hopping up and nailing the topper!
6. As with the bike while you may be able to get some things in a topper they may very well be so buried and so hard to get in/out as to be a major frustration. I have to unpack almost the entire truck or crawl back and forth to reach a package in the front of the bed! Even when I plan ahead packing!

If I had a topper I don't know if I'd bother to switch to a tonneau though...

I saw a couple mentioned above... any others to shop for?

Thanks,

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
Itís a Leer 100XL and I live in Laguna Beach, truck is across street from my house.
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Helena , Montana
Iíve done the topper thing in the past but wonít be doing it this time around. The topper was great for the dog and hauling a bunch of gear out of the elements and made a natural translation from the way I used my Tahoe. It was such a pain to deal with it almost never left my truck despite the lift I purchased to hoist it up to the ceiling in the garage.

The topper wasnít great for all the uses that made me get a truck this time around over an SUV. Namely any kind of shoveling or hauling heavy stuff, loading and unloading, etc. A topper is just in the way at that point.

I am going with a Peragon hard aluminum tonneau this time around. I havenít used it enough to know if it will be worth recommending but it is very light weight ~40lbs and removes easily.
mtbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have the Retrax Pro roll up bed cover. It's real expensive, but does exactly what I want it to do. I towed my trailer for ten years with a Lincoln Navigator SUV. Now I have an F-150 pickup truck. My opinion and thought was that if I put a cap on my truck, I'm right back where I was with an SUV, which defeats my purpose for buying a truck in the first place.

Do you loose a lot of space when the Retrax is rolled up? Does it leak in heavy rains? Did you carpet the truck bed?

I use my truck to haul things from time to time and to move things the wife often purchases (furniture etc..), to put cap on would limit my ability to easily do so.

Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote