Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Fulltiming - The Plan, The Schedule, The Reality

So we're close to agreement on now's the time to pursue the dream. A major milestone, given that one of us (not me) has struggled a little with the concept of not having the stick and stone home. But we still have a small ranch in south Texas so there will always be a "home base" to speak of. Believe me, I've given this much thought and planning in my mind for the last two years and I think the other half is now convinced ... and even a little excited about the idea. The plan in my mind goes like this:

1. List the house with target sell by October 2013 (houses in the neighborhood are selling, on average, in less than 3 weeks right now ... so I think this is the right time to sell).
2. Research Insurance for the RV as fulltime residence and how all that works.
3. Schedule an Estate Sale to occur within 1 week of contract on house.
4. Invest proceeds from the sell of the house and the contents (lots of contents and collectables ... so I think this is going to be the biggest challenge) into retirement account.
5. Trade in the 25 ft. Airstream for a 30 ft. Airstream.
6. Move into RV Park in Austin to finish out two more years of work with living expenses estimated at 1/5 of current expenses.
7. Direct all income into maximizing retirement accounts.
8. In two years retire at 51 and 53.
9. Leave the stress of the corporate world behind and hit the road and start enjoying life and seeing all the sites.

So, have I overlooked something I need to add to the plan? Over the course of the next week I want this plan finalized and ready to execute upon. Anyone having gone through this, please offer up advice. Thanks in advance.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Sounds like you've got most of the important things covered. We made the same move not too long ago. Our plan was VERY similair to yours( I, however have about 10 years to go B-4 retirement )
Like you, my wife was "on board" but still had issues when the day finally came to shed the "stuff" Even now, after a month full time in the Airstream, we are dwindling down the things we packed in here. There is certainly a learning curve when it comes to what you think you need, and what you really need!
One thing you'll want to concentrate on will be insurance. We have State Farm and when I went to meet with our agent I was surprised to learn that they really don't have anything for people who live in their Airstreams. We didn't fit into their Homeowners policy and because the A.S. wasn't going to be strapped to the ground with hurricane straps we apparently didn't fall into the mobile home policy either. I think in an effort to keep our business (all our insurance is through them) he offered up a renters policy, but was pretty clear it was "semi-temporary"
Guess I'm gonna have to eventually do some shopping.

Here's how it's all gone down for us.
It started out good when the house finally sold.....
Got better after the estate sale....
The first week full time was difficult and every week after that has gotten better. Now after 4 weeks we're finding our "groove" and couldn't be happier.
We like the modern park we're in. We are close to work and close to services we haven't been in a while. (used to live out in the sticks)
In just a month have a much better outlook on our future! And that is PRICELESS!
Keep us updated on your progress.
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
[QUOTE=Frank&Mike;1334742]

4. Invest proceeds from the sell of the house and the contents (lots of contents and collectables ... so I think this is going to be the biggest challenge) into retirement account.

Retiring early works so much better if you invest well.

Check out tastytrade.com

I have no affiliation with them other than being a satisfied user. Start slowly!
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We travel south each winter for six months and enjoy it very much, always nice to come home. It's not cheap to move about the country and get the most out of it; the greatest challenge will be having enough regular income to support it over the years.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, we have a small stick house and are on the road 8 months or so in a good year.

We retired at 58, with modest pensions, decent savings and a paid off house.

We have found that it is much less expensive to travel than we thought, and with keeping expenses reasonable we can do what we love. Living small, and modestly, helps tremendously.

If you really want to do it, you can. That's what we believe.

Have to have your debts in check, a source of income and be willing to improvise if you need to. There are lots of ways to earn extra cash when you are traveling, from work camping to temporary jobs. We have met inumerable people who sre doing this successfully.

Go for it, I say!

Maggie
Old 08-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks for all Input ... Please Keep It Coming

Thank you to each of you that have offered advice. It's both helpful and encouraging to minimize this small amount of fear we still have with trying something totally new and different.

I feel good about all of it ... the financial component is all "in check" and no debt. Income at retirement is "in check" also.

But there's just this one thing that we're struggling with. And the way I'm feeling about it can best be described as having a book that you love, reading that book anytime you want to, but then suddenly never being able to pull that book off the shelf, never again to open it up and read it. And the "book" is all of those sentimental things that were passed down to us from grandparents, the little things tucked away that friends have given us that we occasionally pull out of the box and have a special meaning. That's the one thing that is tough. Because I know we won't have any place to store these things and when I see those things walking away in someone's hands at the sale .......
Old 08-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Perhaps you have someone who could store a box of sentimental things for you, or a small storage spot somewhere. We haven't considered full-time but if we did I think I would try to have a "base camp" of some kind, a centrally located place to keep a few things so we could leave some seasonal and treasured items behind, rather than dispose or carry them.

Many full-timers find themselves setting roots again in the future, for a lot of reasons.

doug k
Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Good Advice Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Perhaps you have someone who could store a box of sentimental things for you, or a small storage spot somewhere. We haven't considered full-time but if we did I think I would try to have a "base camp" of some kind, a centrally located place to keep a few things so we could leave some seasonal and treasured items behind, rather than dispose or carry them.

Many full-timers find themselves setting roots again in the future, for a lot of reasons.

doug k
I think this is probably one of the best pieces of advice so far. You and another friend here on the Forums suggested this and surely a small climate controlled storage space won't "break the bank". I'm adding this one to the list of to-do's.

The realtor comes Monday evening and the house goes on the market then. We spent 8 hours today working in over 100 degree temps to spruce up the cactus garden. It made the decision to sell the house and fulltime seem like a good choice. The bananas are coming on strong so maybe the next owners will enjoy some fresh bananas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cactus 5.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	192396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bananas 1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	192397  

Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
All the Nice RV Parks are at Capacity

We visited 4 RV Parks this weekend. It's amazing how many people are making the move from house to RV. Of the 4 we visited, 1 RV Park has only 1 site remaining (and it's 34 miles north of downtown ... not a very friendly commute), a second one has only a few sites vacant (and it's not in a very desirable area of town), and other 2 were raunchy (1 was full and the other was about 1/2 full).

Next week we'll visit a couple west of downtown in hopes that the one we like the most will have availability.

They're going for around $500/mo. plus electric.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
I think we're making some progress. House officially went on the market Wednesday, first offer received yesterday. Now the back and forth negotiation ritual is ensuing. Possibly a second offer from another couple is in the works and anticipated in the next day or so.

But the RV Park search sure isn't yielding much that is desirable. Right now our first choice will put us back on the other side of town where we previously lived out by Lake Travis. Don't get me wrong, beautiful part of town, but just not convenient when trying to be near a parent that thinks a 30 minute commute is equivalent of a commute across the state.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
It appears things are going to get a little interesting now. This evening the realtor indicated the folks interested in purchasing our house want to go under contract tomorrow, but we fly out for vacation early tomorrow morning. I hope international fax and internet access don't let us down. Then when we return from vacation it appears we have 3 weeks to have the estate sale, find a RV Park and start fulltiming. But I'm not complaining ... feeling good things are progressing quickly instead of dragging along.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Good luck!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Very good check list of things to do to get to full timing. One thing I would add: Your health & health care insurance. I retired at 62 (2 years ago)with the idea of full timing but returning to our home in East Texas as a base camp. I have never been a very physically active person. As soon as I retired, I started having some health problems. These have kept us off the road much more than I had planned. Since Medicare is not available until age 65, I could have incurred a lot of medical expenses during these illness's. I was fortunate to have access to health care through thje VA so it has not hurt my "fulltiming" plans from a financial aspect.
Moral to this story: Stay healthy and have some health insurance options to help you pay health care bills that may come along!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Health is important with age. My retirement came, then three different surgeries, including cancer. We move on, maintain good health insurance and take care of ourselves, or the good Airstream travels (about 1/2 time) wouldn't happen.

doug
Old 08-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank you for your advice on health insurance. Definitely a very important consideration in the event that we decide to retire early.

The sale of the house is moving along quickly, emailing and returning documents back and forth while on vacation. We return home next week, coordinate the estate sale within a week, close on the sale of the house the last week of September.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Health Care Insurance was on the top of my list to give you, as well as seconding the vote for storing some of your more precious treasures. Good luck with full timing and retirement. Hope you find an RV park that suits your needs, sounds like things are progressing along, moving you into your desired life style.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Fulltiming- the plan, the schedule , the reality

Frank and Mike,

Thank you for starting this thread and outlining your plans. Please keep us posted on your progress. I found your sentiments regarding the need to have some special possessions in storage touching and so understandable! Most of us suffer from TMS ( too much stuff). We may not want to be possessed by our possessions yet it is impossible for most of us to scale down to whatever our truck and trailer can hold.

Again, good luck on your journey!
Annie
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank you for your words of support and kindness Annie. We're about to return home from vacation and now the fun begins of packing, having the sale and moving into the RV. Things are really moving quickly now.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
What does the insurance cost yearly on average??
Happydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
You may need a quasi permanent address for some types of insurance.

We had a renewal quote on catastrophic only from Blue Cross at $1,500 per month up from $1,200 last year. We have no health issues or any non-emergency room claims. They need the money for the CEO bonus and multiple corporte jets....

Good luck getting everything wrapped up!

Remember that the only person who got things done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote