Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Madison , Indiana
Our BC/BS carrier (ALFA) would not discuss any changes until they found out what the impact of Obama Care would be. We had to keep my company policy until January 1. More than double our budget!
Dwellstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
I Never Imagined It Was This Much Work

All I can say now is that purging a house to transition into an RV is so much different than packing to move from one home to another. We're now two weeks into selling furnishings, pricing things for an upcoming garage sale, packing the few things we plan to keep for the storage facility. Two of the 3 bays of the garage are now full of things yet to be priced and staged for the garage sale. I can't imagine what we would do if people were not already coming by daily and purchasing things in advance of the garage sale.

Anyone that is considering doing this ... all I can say is that it takes A LOT OF PLANNING and EVEN MORE WORK.

I'm keeping a list of "to-do's" that document what we have been doing throughout this process in the hopes of posting it after we have completed this journey. Hopefully others that are contemplating this transition will find our list useful.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey guys...sent you a message friday about your estate sale. Looking to come up to vuy some items, but hoping you have a list in general of what you are selling!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #24
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
I am full-timing. The immediate plan (always subject to change) is to purchase a tiny plot of land, build a storage shed on it and use that as "home base" for all my excursions. That seems reasonable to me for a couple of reasons:

1. Financial - unimproved land is not that expensive to purchase and it provides a central base of operations to retreat to should money become an issue or health concerns kick in and I need to stay in one place for an extended period of time. I would obviously pick an area I enjoy.

2. Maintenance - where do you store the 10-12 foot step ladder while on the road? No, seriously, where? I need to do roof maintenance (like before the rains this weekend) and I have no ladder! Well, if I had a shed, on my own property, I could schedule that maintenance trip.

3. Time off the road - to relax, rejuvenate, tell the world to kiss my toe, whatever.

And, continue to keep getting rid of stuff.

I have a 29' trailer for one person. I have LOADS of space and I want to keep it that way. Less truly is more. One coffee mug is fine. Gives me the excuse to purchase a totally extravagant one someday should I so choose - and the excuse is - but, there's only room for one, so why not!

Keep visualizing the dream and it will appear.

Julianne
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
2. Maintenance - where do you store the 10-12 foot step ladder while on the road? No, seriously, where? I need to do roof maintenance (like before the rains this weekend) and I have no ladder! Well, if I had a shed, on my own property, I could schedule that maintenance trip.

Julianne,

If you get one of those tri-fold ladders you could store it under the bed.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
2. Maintenance - where do you store the 10-12 foot step ladder while on the road? No, seriously, where? I need to do roof maintenance (like before the rains this weekend) and I have no ladder! Well, if I had a shed, on my own property, I could schedule that maintenance trip. Julianne, If you get one of those tri-fold ladders you could store it under the bed.
Currently, under the bed is the fresh water tank, etc. (more plumbing), but I honestly hadn't thought about a tri-fold ladder!

Thanks! I'm off to research....

Julianne
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
How about in the back of the F-150?
There are also racks where you can carry the ladder above the bed and cab of the truck.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Frank & Mike - Just found this thread (been somewhat under the weather) but want to wish the very best to ya'll as you move on to another lifestyle. I'd love to follow in your footsteps one day. Pease do continue to share your experiences as things evolve.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Full timing

Hey guys,

I've been off the grid working. Downsizing is HARD! I can readily pitch stuff belonging to my husband and kids...but mine...not so easy.

Here is a really good quote: " Live simply so others can simply live."

Sending lots of love,
Annie
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
2 Weeks Into the Fulltiming Life

Thought I would post a brief update. We've been in the Airstream living fulltime for 2 weeks now. What an unbelievably challenging experience from every turn around every corner. So far I guess I can best sum it up with a saying I've heard before ... "Plan for the worst and hope for the best." I'm documenting the experience and hope to publish some "pointers" at some time in the future.

The sale of the house was completed yesterday and the keys handed over to the new homeowners. The moving sale lasted 2 long days, with people coming to pick up items extending a week beyond the sale. What was supposed to only be a few possessions going into climate controlled storage ended up completely (when I say completely ... I'm saying floor to ceiling, front to back) filling up a 15 ft. x 20 ft. storage space. Not my plans ... but .........

I never thought about this beforehand, but a simple, yet effective part of the plan should have been to calculate the square footage of the Airstream (238 sq. ft.) and then divide that square footage by the square footage of the house and then apply that percentage to each of the categories of things that we felt would be needed in the Airstream. In our case that percentage of "allowables" to make the move from home to Airstream would have been 7%.

Also calculate the square footage of the climate controlled storage space (300 sq. ft.) and then divide that square footage by the square footage of the house and then apply that percentage to each of the categories of the things that we felt would be retained and moved to climate controlled storage. In our case that percentage of "allowables" to make the move from home to storage would have been 9%.

The remaining 84% has to be sold or donated. I think if I had applied that calculation as part of our planning, the task of sorting what goes in the "keep" pile, what goes in the "storage" pile and what goes in the "moving sale/donation" pile would have simplified at least one major transitioning task.

More updates later. Oh, I don't care what anyone tells you ... it's actually is an emotional rollercoaster.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #31

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
You guys did it! We are very excited for you and can't wait to catch up with you sometime.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Yes, downsizing is hard. We wonder why, why did we buy some of that 'stuff'!! (and, like you, some of it is in storage) You on your way now & living out your dream--good for you!
Victoria
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Each day the transition gets easier. The dining table has become my home office. Unfortunately Frank's commute into downtown is 35 miles each way. This is the closest RV Park with availability. It appears many people are doing this now. I guess it's the time of year when many people are also coming south for the winter. Attached are a few photos of our site in the RV Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulltime 3.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	196870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulltime 5.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	196871  

Name:	Fulltime 2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	196872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulltime 4.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	196873  

Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Oh, before I forget. Two tips of the day for anyone considering fulltiming:

1. Make sure you have the correct floorplan prior to fulltiming.
2. The 25 foot SS (rear corner bed), which is what we have, is not the correct floorplan for fulltiming. It's a great flooplan for weekend camping. But fulltiming ... no.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Full timing

Yes the 27fb is a better option. No worry if you want to sell there is buyer out there.
As for the commute I recommend books on CD free from the library. Really helps pass the time.
We are all rooting for you! Thanks for the honest portrayal of the issues.
Annie
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCA and GPO View Post
Yes the 27fb is a better option. No worry if you want to sell there is buyer out there.
As for the commute I recommend books on CD free from the library. Really helps pass the time.
We are all rooting for you! Thanks for the honest portrayal of the issues.
Annie
Thanks for the vote of confidence Annie. I've attached 2 photos below:

1. 1st photo reflects that one of the dogs wasn't pleased with the move. This box seemed to be his favorite place for about a week. I felt really badly for him.

2. 2nd photo shows Frank and the dogs on our evening walk around the RV Park. The dog that didn't seem happy last week has his little smile back and seems be enjoying his evening walks.

I'm trying to convince Frank just to get on the light rail and use it for his daily commute. I think this weekend we're going to ride it into Austin and have dinner and spend the evening hanging out downtown. Maybe he will find the light rail appealing. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Not Happy.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	196942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Evening Walk 2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	196943  

Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Full timing

Those dogs are super cute!
And yes if a light rail is an option that sounds fantastic! Oh the books I could read while not driving!
Have fun in Austin and keep us posted.
Annie
PS getting ready to quit working in next 6 months...our paths will certainly cross
Our dog is big but he doesn't know he is...plays well with others!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Where oh where is Pflugerville?
We are going to Big Bend in January...
Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCA and GPO View Post
Where oh where is Pflugerville?
We are going to Big Bend in January...
Pflugerville is an Austin suburb on the north side. I guess I need to update my location now since we sold the house.

If you come through Austin on your way to Big Bend and would like to connect let us know. Big Bend is absolutely one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. You will love it and find it really interesting. Many great opportunities to photograph beautiful scenery. Also many interesting places in route. Marfa has to be one of your planned visits while there.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Oh, before I forget. Two tips of the day for anyone considering fulltiming:

1. Make sure you have the correct floorplan prior to fulltiming.
2. The 25 foot SS (rear corner bed), which is what we have, is not the correct floorplan for fulltiming. It's a great flooplan for weekend camping. But fulltiming ... no.
These folks have been full timing in a 25' SS with that same floorplan for a number of years. They put their emphasis on travel, and appear quite comfortable with their Airstream. Quite a few tips on both here.

Dreamstreamr Odyssey | Chasing 75 Degrees

http://dreamstreamr.com

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote