Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #15
Regular Guy
1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
My John Deere tractor (Diesel) would do the same thing. Come to find out I had gunk growing in the tank partially blocking the fuel flow, and it was intermittent. The fuel filter was fine. Diesel will grow bacteria under the right conditions, and sooner or later it will have to be cleaned out. Power Service has a diesel fuel additive that raises the Cetane number and keeps the bugs in check.

NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Originally Posted by JourneytoRet View Post
I know the MH diesel fuel tank reads full and with as little driving lately, I suspect it really is nearly topped off. I suspect the main (and only?) tank feeds both the engine and the generator right?

LucasS, tell me more about this cutoff switch please because I surely don't know if I have one or not.

The chassis batteries have a set of heavy cables going through one wall and another set from the adjacent storage bin which I assume is going to the Inverter, which is stored there.

Still will look at the gen fuel filter as the last time I had it checked/changed was about 3 years ago, and hopefully, the service center really did check/change it...

Gonna put 4-12V marine batteries in next month, maybe that will tell me something too.
I replaced my batteries with 12V marine deep cycles for the house but not for the Chassis as our model requires....(I'll look the specifics up tomorrow when I'm back home) batteries with massive starting power for the 360 cummins. Anyways, the switch I'm referring to (and I really hope your dealer or PO showed you this) is in a cluster of four...literally to your bottom left when you open the front door on what's basically the passenger seat's left arm rest. There's one for step on/off, patio light on/off (sidenote if you turn your patio light on with the remote, you MUST turn it off with the remote....if anybody has a hack to fix that let ME know please!) and then one switch for the ceiling lights and the last one is your battery disconnect switch. Now, here's the rub...even if you push the bat disconnect I think it only control's the house batteries. In my previous mono's the bat disconnect switch killed the house and chassis...but this is my first DP so "a whole new world...."
When I did my TV conversions to LED's...I had to get an inverter to power the rear (when you decide to do this yourself if the PO hasn't already you'll see what I mean). Apparently, even with the TV off...the bloody inverter still drew power from my chassis batteries (that along with the Satnav I left plugged in...even turned off and an iPhone charger) and the 10w solar charger that comes standard (which is for the chassis batteries) couldn't keep up with the draw (however minimal in reality it was) so this year I spent the first two weeks of my season in the same place as you...dead chassis batteries.
All this just reminded me...again I honestly don't know if the genset starts off the house or chassis...but I was able to use the aux-start switch on the dash and my genney powered right up...but alas neither shore power nor genset has an alternator for the chassis batteries...only the house.
Good lord just typing this post I've decided to go buy two new chassis, easier than trying to troubleshoot the "what if's"...and my nearest AS dealer is 1.5 hours away (the local moho dealer technically can help out with any Freightliner chassis issues but they're so booked up I wouldn't get in until 2016)

Well, since we have the same coach if there's anything I can do to help...I'm nowhere near the expert Massey is when it comes to Clippers (which are just XC's pre 2000) but I nicknamed my coach Murphy (for Murphy's Law) the second week I had, if it could go wrong, it probably has...and I've somehow figured out some way of getting around it.

LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Talking Nicknames

Originally Posted by LucasS View Post
I nicknamed my coach Murphy (for Murphy's Law) the second week I had, if it could go wrong, it probably has...and I've somehow figured out some way of getting around it.
Wow! I do name all my RVs as well, and was thinking of just The Big Red One, from that old old Mark Hamill film I still have never seen.

But the wife suggested a better one: Iron Mistress

Since I spend a ton of time away from my wife trying to fix the RV, this seems perfect!

2007 LTV Serenity beater 2005 Airstream SkyDeck
Also a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2000 Honda Hybrid Insight, new 2013 Volvo C70 hardtop convertible
And all electric: a 2012 Mitsubishi i-Miev and two 2007 Vectrix VX1 motorcycles
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Gaffney , South Carolina
Emh142, that's my concern too, that the poorly charged chassis batteries are enough to start the gen, but not keep it running. Headed to NAPA to get 4 12V $100 marine batteries at some point!
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:32 AM   #19
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
My Genset on the 96 CLIPPER, PTS CD7000 diesel generator, charges both the Chassis and House battery banks.

This book may have some useful information in it for you.

EDIT This book seems to be no longer accessible? It used to be a free download!

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:29 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Gaffney , South Carolina
Closure: Replaced the coach batteries and the gen fired up and stayed running under full load. Thanks for all the other items, will be looking to change the oil/filters before old man winter comes calling.

JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote