Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1997 30' Cutter Bus (Ford)
grosse pointe , Michigan
generator starts for second and dies

I have an onan generator 5000 in an land yacht 30 with a 460. I had the generator looked at and the lines were changed they claim. When I got it back it started but now a day later it starts for a second and then dies. Other problems make me wonder if the fuel filter needs to be changed ( the sock) . Could this be related/ Is there another explanation?
cutbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
could be fuel, or maybe the choke is sticking, sounds like its something to do with fuel if it starts and then dies... Is the fuel filter clear, does it look dirty. you could by pass the filter and see if it stays running, but if there is crap in the line it can then get in the generator.. filters aren't much, might be worth starting there..
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbrain View Post
I have an onan generator 5000 in an land yacht 30 with a 460. I had the generator looked at and the lines were changed they claim. When I got it back it started but now a day later it starts for a second and then dies. Other problems make me wonder if the fuel filter needs to be changed ( the sock) . Could this be related/ Is there another explanation?
One of the most over looked reasons, is that the tube that goes into the fuel tank that supplies fuel to the generator, does not go to the bottom of the fuel tank.

Typically, if the fuel tank is about 1/4 full, the generator can no longer be fed a fuel supply. Also depends on the levelness of the coach.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
Renton , Washington
Wasn't an Onan

My similar problem was with a different make, but turned out to be dirty oil--not low oil-- that wouldn't allow the oil pressure safety to make. It would start right up and then cut out. A tiny red light on the starter switch would flash. Changed the oil and ran like a champ.
holmestk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbrain View Post
Hi cutbrain; Today there are serious issues with E-10 fuel. It is obvious that your fuel supply to the intake manifold is restricted. It seems as the fuel is not reaching the carb bowl fast enough. Here are the possible causes---- your strainer in the fuel tank may be clogged up. Your float needle may be sticking or the high speed fuel jet is choked up with water residue. Since the time that E-10 fuel was introduced there have been numerous problems associated with that fuel. First of all it should not be mixed with MTBE laced fuel [former fuels]. Second issue is longevity of E-10 fuel which affects utility engines in which gasoline is not turned over fast enough before fuel separation phase occurs. This does not become a problem in your car, because fuel is turned over on weekly basis. As you may already know that added alcohol content is basically water compatible fuel. This, after only couple of months starts to separate from petroleum based gasoline turning first into dark brown substance [in some brands] then quickly turning into milky substance and clogs all fuel passages. If your 5000 was stored for a while [longer than two months] with E-10 fuel chances are that the fuel has gone through fuel separation phase and it cannot support advanced acceleration. The E-10 fuel also absorbs moisture which helps to speed up the separation phase. If the fuel is not used within a couple of months [which is unpredictable in your case] you should treat the fuel in advance with product called "StarTron" by Starbrite. This product can be found in most boat shops. If your carb has not been cleaned for few years, you should have it rebuilt anyway before possible lean condition [detonation] destroys the engine. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

grosse pointe , Michigan
generator

Can the main engine fuel tank be the problem if the fuel tank of the vehicle (not the generator) be the problem if the fuel filter sock is clogged. The main engine is haveing some issues and some people have suggested that I have the sock filter changed as the source of the main engine problem.

JC
Old 08-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmestk View Post
My similar problem was with a different make, but turned out to be dirty oil--not low oil-- that wouldn't allow the oil pressure safety to make. It would start right up and then cut out. A tiny red light on the starter switch would flash. Changed the oil and ran like a champ.
Ditto on the oil. Happened to my Honda. Changed the oil, problem gone.

May be worth a try.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I recently discovered - the easy way, fortunately - that I wasn't reading the oil level correctly on my generator (an Onan 2800). Being used to cars, I'd unscrew the dipstick and read the level, and it would be fine. However, you're actually supposed to unscrew the dipstick, clean it off, put it back in without screwing it down, then pull it and read it. Obviously this will give you a VERY different reading.

I mention this because mine was doing the same thing - start, then die. It was low on oil. I feel stupid, so I figured I'd pass along this tip just in case that is the problem.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

grosse pointe , Michigan
fuel filter

is there a separate filter for the generator?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I might add I bought a twin cylinder ONan off a guy who had the same problem. He sworeup and down it wasnt fuel the darn thing was old so he replaced it . I bought it off him for $75.00 I went to NAPA bought a new Faccett fuel pump $19.95 and presto. The low oil sensor can also be the culprit. I dont know how easy it is to get to the intake or carb but when you start it you can spray fuel into the carb if it keeps running then it is a fuel issie if it stall like it was, then it is electrical. Be carefull.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote