Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Surprise , Arizona
Workhorse brake rotors

I have noticed several posts about cracked rotors on workhorse chassis. Having recently purchased a used 2005 30so on the P32 chassis. I am wondering if this would be something that I should keep a close eye on. The mh now has 8000 miles on it. The brakes are working fine, want them to stay that way. Have a lot of mountain driving to do when I retire this summer.
harold1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Heat is most likely the cause of rotors cracking. Heat from over or miss use. The best way to reduce this is to use and exhaust brake.

I do not have a MH but have used an exhaust brake on my TV for the past 10 years. The exhaust brake allows me to desend a 5 % grade without using any brakes and greatly reduces the brake usage on hills over 5 %.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Oakland County , Michigan
We just bought our LY 30 SO last August, have not had any problems with brakes yet. Will stay tuned.
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
padillab;
Looking at the picture of your LY it is identicle to ours. We have 9000 miles on it now and have had no brake issues. I am beginning to think the cracked rotor issue may be a result of lack of use, [or possibly abuse,] as sometimes they sit for long periods of time. I make it a point to drive it at least once a month when not traveling just to keep things working.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Oakland County , Michigan
2005 LY 30 SO - Towing

Hello Harold 1946,

It's nice to meet someone else with the same kind of MH. Ours has almost 9000 miles also. We live in Michigan and are planning to visit Grand Marais in the UP next week. I just love driving this thing. Have not decided yet wether to tow with a tow bar or dolly. Do you tow? What do you use?

Bob
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Bob;
We tow an Explorer 4 down with a Blue - Ox tow bar mounted on the moho receiver and use the brake buddy braking system. It took several tries to get the sensitivity and air pressure adjusted on the brake system as it needs to be adjusted for the weight of the toad. I guess the best part of towing 4 down is the ease of hooking up and unhooking. Less than 10 mi. and its done and I dont have to find a place to put a dolly. Another thing I like is that with 4 down I have 4 brakes stopping the toad as opposed to only 2 if on a dolly. Many vehicles can not be towed 4 down so that may dictate which way you go. Have fun and travel safe. Harold
Old 07-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Castro Valley , California
I have a 2005 30 S/O that we just bought a few months ago, has about 16K miles and we LOVE it. the seller was towing a CR-V with an Aluminator that I am going to sell: I have an Insight and just bought a used dolly for a loving tow experience with it: no brackets for a 4 down, and its so light (~2000#) the dolly brakes should be enough.
The front brakes on the coach look pretty good, and the seller told me he used the tranny to downshift & slow down the coach, even showed me during the first demo drive.
However, my view on this comes from my BMW & track experience: Assuming the vehicle is designed right with appropriate brakes, it is a lot cheaper to replace brakes than a tranny or engine from excessive downshift braking (lots of internal stress). The cracked rotors suggest that maybe the owners did not downshift on the long downgrades, or that the brakes were under sized. I have no expereince yet with those possible causes.
I just upgraded the TV with a 26" Sony for dvd play and a few other tweaks. The other cool upgrade this weekend is a Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover. It feels extra good all the time. Also put a battery in the smoke detectro--it was EMPTY! Check your smoke an CO detectors & replace the batteries, then mark the date on the back with a Sharpie.
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
TerraYatch;
Congrats on your L/Y. Good to hear from other owners, we are very happy with ours. Traded in an old GM with too many miles on it. Do you have the Workhorse P32 chassis and 8.1. This engine is a real powerhouse. If you are new to rving be sure to get a surge protector. Enjoy!!!!! Harold & Linda
Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Castro Valley , California
Thanks, Harold. I don't have one yet, but I was planning to get the wired-in surge protector to do the whole coach, will use a little one on my TV until then.
I have the P32 & 8.1, and the previous owner visited Banks for a full bump-up in power and also added some steering enhancements, bell crank, rear track bar and some big yellow brackets & springs that I have not investigated yet. I still have more steering wander than I would like, and will visit Henderson's if I can find an "extra" week off from work.
My other "cool tool' plays in to my job/obsession as a Safety Manager: this gizmo makes it real easy to get tire pressures correct and balanced: Tire Accessories - Tire Maintenance - Psiclops XL180 has a full description.
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote