Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #1

2001 31' Land Yacht
Endicott , New York
Onan Generator

I own a 2001 30' Land Yacht with an Onan Marquis 5500 generator. The owner's manual says to check the spark plugs and air filter at specific intervals. I can't figure out how to do this without removing the generator from the MH. This is not an option for me. Does anyone know of any shortcuts??

Jack
af12680252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by af12680252
I own a 2001 30' Land Yacht with an Onan Marquis 5500 generator. The owner's manual says to check the spark plugs and air filter at specific intervals. I can't figure out how to do this without removing the generator from the MH. This is not an option for me. Does anyone know of any shortcuts??

Jack
Welcome to the forums!
Your genset SHOULD be on a slide rail, that can be unlatched and slid out a little way to be able to perform maintenance on it. Every one I have worked with has either been on a slide rack, or a removable panel to be able to work on the generator.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Question Onan Generator

I have a similar problem with 2000 Land Yacht 30'. My generator is a 5500 Watt bottom mount unit. The best I can figure is that there are 4 bolts on the forward and rear mounting base plate that must be removed. Additionally, it appears that the M/H extension tailpipe must be removed. I'm thinking that a transimission jack should be used to lower the generator set being careful to keep the center-of-balance which is probably off set. My manuals don't give the weight of the unit, but I'm guessing 250# or more. (I have 65 hrs on the meter.)

Has anyone attempted doing this?
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I have the same problem with my Onan 7000 watt. Its not on a slide, and you can't get to all the bolts to remove front panel. The oil , oil filter and gas filer are easy to get at, but I see no way to service air cleaner without dropping complete generator as hmsteader discribed. I have PO records of having gen.serviced,no record or mention of air cleaner being changed. Again, if anyone has removed their generator to service it or for other reasons, just how big of job was it?It has 453 hours on it, and I have no record of air filter being changed, no doubt because of the difficulty of access.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Roswell , Georgia
Onan Generator

I have a 1995 35' Pusher with a 6500 LP generator. I recently had the bendix fail on the starter. The Generator is obviously mounted to the chassis before the body and lower cabinets were put together. We had no way to get to the starter without removing the whole unit.

The muffler system was removed along with all of the aluminum body panel covering the generator and holding the door hinge to the body. We then took off all of the bolts holding the generator to the mounting bracket and dropped the unit with the aid of a floor jack. A lot of work and this thing is heavy. It took 4 of us to lift the dead weight onto a table.

The starter was replaced with a new unit, new plugs and wires were also added. The filter on mine can be replaced without removing the unit from the coach. Care had to be given to the LP gas supply hose which holds LIQUID propane which vents a great deal of propane (as it expands to a vapor) as you disconnect the supply line. My old hose was worn so I had a new hose made.

We welded two rails (L shaped channel iron) to the side of the coach mounting assembly so that next time we could slide the unit in/out. This took us 6 hours to accomplish, mainly because we had to analyze how the body panels were held on (rivets and small screws packed with putty). VERY POOR DESIGN. Airstream should be ashamed of themselves for selling this unit as basically unserviceable. Most of the other installations I have seen have at least 6 inches of space above them for service access.
batwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #6

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
do you have any photos of this process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batwingz View Post
I have a 1995 35' Pusher with a 6500 LP generator. I recently had the bendix fail on the starter. The Generator is obviously mounted to the chassis before the body and lower cabinets were put together. We had no way to get to the starter without removing the whole unit.

The muffler system was removed along with all of the aluminum body panel covering the generator and holding the door hinge to the body. We then took off all of the bolts holding the generator to the mounting bracket and dropped the unit with the aid of a floor jack. A lot of work and this thing is heavy. It took 4 of us to lift the dead weight onto a table.

The starter was replaced with a new unit, new plugs and wires were also added. The filter on mine can be replaced without removing the unit from the coach. Care had to be given to the LP gas supply hose which holds LIQUID propane which vents a great deal of propane (as it expands to a vapor) as you disconnect the supply line. My old hose was worn so I had a new hose made.

We welded two rails (L shaped channel iron) to the side of the coach mounting assembly so that next time we could slide the unit in/out. This took us 6 hours to accomplish, mainly because we had to analyze how the body panels were held on (rivets and small screws packed with putty). VERY POOR DESIGN. Airstream should be ashamed of themselves for selling this unit as basically unserviceable. Most of the other installations I have seen have at least 6 inches of space above them for service access.
I have the same model as you and have a gen that won't start... all I get is a "click." I think after trying to get it to start so many times I may have blown something on it.... so I am fearful that I am going to need to drop the unit from the mount and replace something....

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
I see no way to service air cleaner without dropping complete generator ,,, difficulty of access.
Just finished that job, you can get to the air filter on mine, yours might be similar.
If you slide your hand along the right side of the air filter housing you will feel a 7/16 bolt head, you can loosen it and then the whole housing slides forward, on mine they mounted the hr meter in the way but two screws and it can be moved.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
I have the same model as you and have a gen that won't start... all I get is a "click."
Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
Check your battery connection, then if it doesn't do more than click, you may have a jammed bendix, due to replacement you might have to turn over motor manually or change out starter.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by af12680252 View Post

Jack
I used a jigsaw and cut the shroud between the frame and generator, two cuts from bottom to half way up the inside wall, bend the shroud toward the MH frame and there is enough room to get to the second spark plug.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Huntington Beach , California
I have a 1995 33 LY with Marquis 7000 Genset. Had to remove underneath bolts and exhaust and lower entire set on floorjack and 4X4 wood for support to change spark plugs. Not that bad a job actually done in about 1 hour using power tools.

Air Filter on mine is accessible with 7/16 endwrench on end of air filter housing facing away from engine. Oil Filter is easy with correct filter wrench. Air Filter can be had at local Napa Parts Store as can Wix Oil Filter replacement.
shaneteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneteck View Post
I have a 1995 33 LY with Marquis 7000 Genset. Had to remove underneath bolts and exhaust and lower entire set on floorjack and 4X4 wood for support to change spark plugs. Not that bad a job actually done in about 1 hour using power tools.

Air Filter on mine is accessible with 7/16 endwrench on end of air filter housing facing away from engine. Oil Filter is easy with correct filter wrench. Air Filter can be had at local Napa Parts Store as can Wix Oil Filter replacement.
Must be the extra 2 ft length of the 33 versus my 31, mine wouldn't clear the MH tailpipe and not enough space between MH and ground to get out. Interesting that it only took a b/y mechanic an hour as Onan experts charged PO 380 labor to drop it and I found after a hundred hours the supposedly changed inner spark plug looked a lot older than the easy to get to one.