Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Getting the itch for another Class A

After 27 years in a "low rider" Class A, we're just thinking about a change.
We spent 14 years in a Classic GMC (FWD, gas, 26 Ft) then our Airstream (35 Ft Airstream Land Yacht Diesel pusher) for 13 years. Both fit in our barn (Garage with cement floors, heat and a full shop with a 11.5' tall entry) where I could plug it in an play with it year round. The "Roadhouse" is now 22 years old and we're thinking of another , maybe smaller DP with a low profile that we could keep inside.
We tow our antique cars on an aluminum trailer to rallies all over the country and require something at least as strong as the 5.9 L Cummins with a Turbo that's in our Land Yacht.
Any other options? Or should we just put another 112,000 miles on this one?
You ideas would be very helpful, as usual on this Forum.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Paul, it probably will come down to money in the end. Their are 2006 AS Landyachts for sale with low mileage in the $100k range that are simply beautiful and will tow anything. I saw a 75anniversary edition for sale recently and it was impressive. However, as you know, the style of our rigs (rounded nose/fiberglass) are attention getters and you could do a complete update (mechanical and interior) for a fraction of what a newer unit would cost. The Cumming engine and Freightliner chassis will last a million miles if serviced regularly. All the appliances can be upgraded and recommend a new Sat system and larger solar panels. The generator can be replaced or upgraded as needed. Lastly, get it restriped with a new gelcoat and it will really shine just like a new rig. May want to consider new driver and passenger seats too with massage/heat options as replacements.

Getting mine ready for a cross country trip next month then living on it for at least 6 months. Keep us posted on your plans.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Replace or Upgrade?

Thanks, I agree with most of what you say. Ours has only 112,000 miles on the Sparton Chassis and Cummins 230 Turbo Diesel. Except for the age, it's wonderful and fits our needs and garage. As an antique car restorer for the last 44 years, it's a good project, but at 70 I'm not looking for more big projects.
My project list is growing and stamina is declining. With 5 antique cars and a small farm to care for, my list is to long now. The idea of sending it out to have it done is frightening to me. Maybe I'll just have to do a little at a time as things need it. Right now it's all fine, but it is 22 years old.
My wife would like a smaller coach, but i need the towing power Of a diesel and the lower profile afforded by a pusher. Yet all of what I see has to much basement, making them to high to get in the garage (11.3 Ft).
We'll consider your plan for now.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I think the way to go with a renovation would be to take it back to Airstream in Jackson Center and let them make all the upgrades. If you look at the interior of the new AS Classic trailer, they could almost duplicate that for all the interior upgrades and appliances. For the mechanicals, take it back to Freightliner in Greer, SC and let them put in new dash and assorted upgrades.

Think of it as rebuilding a Chris Craft yacht...

I have been looking into options that might dress up the exterior by adding an aluminum skin to the lower level compartments. Would give it a look kinda like the last big diesel aluminum RV they sold in 1994.

I agree with the height problems....makes them top heavy and difficult to manage in cross winds.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote