Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Got the Airstream Itch!

My wife and I have been looking at recreational vehicles for quite awhile, and after visiting many RV vendors, we've come to the conclusion that an Airstream is the best fit for our needs....we like quality, and we keep our toys for a very long time. AS appears to acquire new technology without throwing the 'baby out with the bathwater'....we like that.

We're approaching retirement, and at the end of our primitive camping days...so when we took a look at a 22 ft Sport Bambi (don't worry, I'll learn the proper lingo soon enough) it seemed quite luxurious. We don't intend to live in one, but have access to a great many campgrounds within a reasonable distance.

Anyway, I have questions.....don't want to step on any toes....and will try to get those questions in the proper forum areas (and I always attempt to search a forum for the inevitable 'question that's been answered a thousand times already').

By the way....this is one impressive website!
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
krusty - You've come to the right place for all info Airstream, so ask your questions, you'll get quite a few answers. Ya'll have also made the right decision going with an Airstream. One suggestion, and I think ya'll may have already 'been there', but it would be a very good idea for ya'll to really think thru what you now think your immediate needs / uses will be, vs situations that might impact that decision down the road. What?? Make sure you assess the pros & cons of new or gently used vs. vintage. Will the grandkids travel with you very much and are you allowing space for them? Will one or both of you want space for hobbys - like sewing machines, tools or cooking (inside or out?)? How much tow vehicle will you need vs. what you may already own?

And lastly, keep posting your progress & decisions. Good luck!!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Whitsend...all good tips. We are methodical people, and enjoy a well considered approach to these sorts of decisions. 42 years of marriage attests to our lack of 'impulse decisions'.

We have a 2007 Tacoma V6 with factory tow package. Don't really want to buy a bigger truck, but will if necessary. Our trips will generally be well within 400 miles....but we live in mountainous terrain. I flyfish a lot, and while my wife likes the woods...she enjoys being warm and secure (so do I, the older I get) , while I fish from my kayak.

Our grandchildren live close....and they already live in the boondocks. I suspect that the little ones may want to sleep inside the trailer on the rare occasions when they travel with us, the older ones will do nicely within one of our many tents (I can't believe I once enjoyed sleeping in tents...that's how old I am).

We enjoy primitive campgrounds...which probably means that a big AS wouldn't fit....and some of the FS access roads make anything bigger than 22' problematic.

I like your Airstream ink. Got quite a bit myself, and I know that ink indicates a serious personal link to its subject matter....to me, Airstream people appear to be like Harley-Davidson people. The product ain't perfect...but despite its minor flaws, it's a distinctly American product that appeals to us.
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Welcome! I'm just starting out the journey myself -- and this forum is full of wonderful, caring people who want to help you make sure you find your dream AS, so you can be as happy as they are. My head's been spinning for the last week, but it's an enjoyable spin. Looking forward to seeing your own journey go forward!

Zina

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Thank you for your kind comments on these Forums.

We retired several years ago and, like you, decided that we wanted to try Airstream camping. We had tent camped but had never owned an RV before. We researched Airstreams extensively, and ended up buying a new 2005 Safari 25FB. We named her Lucy, and began camping. We took to it in a bigger way than we would have thought possible. We are not full timers, but have camped in Lucy quite extensively (960+ nights/80,000+ miles) which figures out to be 48% of our time since getting Lucy. Airstream camping has become a significant part of our life. We hope that you enjoy it as much as we do.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2965.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	145644   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3448.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	145645  

Name:	DSCN4412.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	145646  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

krusty,

Sweet Stream'n....like most good things in Life the anticipation can be half the fun.

Scratch slowly if you can, and research as many different remedies as needed.
Anticipate the rash spreading and plan accordingly.

Our 25 has been the perfect medicine for us, with few unpleasant side effects.

Nurse Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	piseco_lake_camping_july_2008_031.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	145649  
Old 11-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Greetings and welcome to Airstreaming. This forum is really great. We had a small (18') trailer and really enjoyed it for five years before getting our 28' Safari. The important thing for us was being able to get out of bed without having to climb over the other person which we had to do in the small trailer. My only advice is to check out the sleeping arrangements in a variety of configurations first. I have found that at my age (63), that has been the deal maker. You might have to go to the 23 or 25 to get the best configuration. Happy looking!
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote