Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
What to aim for in exterior polish

I've read many of the threads that seem to relate mostly to trailers. What kind of polish and shine and restoration should I be aiming for in a 86 345? I've read some posts that say that the aluminum wasn't meant to shine like the trailers.

Any pictures or advice? What specifically do you use to work on your exterior? The stripe on mine is gone, but faintly visible. There seems to be paint on the bottom parts. Any thoughts appreciated.
gowiththeflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hi Go,

Check out a site called Airstream4u. This is an outfit in Germany that does some AMAZING rebuilds on Airstreams. Many of their conversions might be frowned upon by purists, since they are heavily modifying some really vintage trailers, but their design, fabrication, and finish work is incredible!
I believe that they show at least one late model "Classic Motorhome" that has been highly polished. This particular unit is my source of inspiration for what I hope to someday achieve with my recently acquired 325.
By the way, where about in New England are you located? I'm on the South Shore below Boston if I can ever be of help. Also, I have just made a major investment with the purchase of a pneumatic rotary drum polisher for the task ahead.

Good luck, Charly.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Thanks, Charly. I checked out the site. Some interesting things being done by these folks in Germany. I'm pretty sure I am not going to go for a "mirror" look. With 36 feet of MH I doubt I could keep it up. Keep me informed (with pix if you can) of how your pneumatic polisher is working out and the results you are getting. I think I saw your 325. I finally decided I needed more space -- I'm glad it has found a new home. It was a beauty.

So I guess I'm going to just have to figure this out over time. I haven't even seen my baby yet. She's in Colorado and I'm in western Mass. Hope to get her in mid-May. Already spent 8k on repairs though. Brakes, tires, tag axle, alternator, AC/heat, washer, overflow tank.

Hope to see you on the road.
gowiththeflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Believe it or not, I am trying to get my rig sorted out for a trip to the West Coast sometime in May to pick up some motorcycles in LA, and an old teardrop trailer in San Antonio. Unfortunately, I've spent the past few months tearing the thing apart as part of a total interior renovation, so its still looking pretty rough. I'll be trying to do the round trip in about a week. God willing!!
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote