Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Leaking forward running lights

I'm chasing leaks in the overhead of the cab on my 345. Pretty sure its coming from the running lights above the windshield, down the A pillars and to the floors.

In looking at those lights, there is a fairing base then the light fixture its self.

I know that many here have replaced their lights up there. What do you find of the fairing? Have you removed them and resealed under them? Just caulked around them?
What is a good replacement LED light fixture?

Have you found that the fairing is leaking into the cab? I do see a weep hole at the bottom of the fairing and those seem to be plugged up. Could that be my problem, just not draining? The fitment of the light does not look all that water tight.

Thanks for any help in getting me up to speed on getting these sealed up and drawing less current.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Richard, when I replaced mine I taped off and caulked the base where it meets the roof. I bought my LEDs from Fastenal on sale for about $4 a pop. I left that weep hole open. I also taped off and caulked where the light base meets the "fairing". So two caulk joints per light. I used that gray poly caulk, Sikaflex I guess. Had to order the caulk from VTS.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Thanks Mike, good tips.
I got the carpet up and the mushed out subfloor scooped out. Then hosed the outside and found that the passenger side window also leaks.
I'm going to have to find that drain tube to check if it's clear.

We had about 10 inches of rain in one day recently, a good way to turn up leaks.
That's about a years worth back in AZ.

My brothers airstream trailer ended up with some soaked carpet in the back storage compartment and the side of his bedroom. We found the his subfloor is plywood and is in pretty good shape.

The state mine was in, it's pretty clear that it's been leaking for some time. Those rubber floor mats can hide what's happening underneath pretty well.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote